This kale Caesar salad with crispy smoked chickpeas makes a great appetizer or lunch. Kale gets coated with a creamy vegan Caesar salad dressing and then topped with crispy smoked chickpeas and a hemp seed crumble.
With spring in the air, it’s time to start eating some vibrant fresh food.
So let’s kick it off with a kale caesar salad with crispy smoked chickpeas!
I love enjoying kale in salads. The dark leafy green is packed with tons of nutrients and vitamins. Kale is loaded with iron, vitamins K, C & A, is high in calcium and is anti-inflammatory. Talk about a superfood!
The only issue with Kale is that you have to know how to prepare it well so it doesn’t have too much of a tough texture.
The secret behind this is to massage your kale. This helps soften up the leaves and make them more tender. Also dressing kale in a salad dressing that is a base of oil and a vinegar will help to soften the leaves further.
This recipe for Kale Caesar salad with crispy smoked chickpeas features a creamy garlicky “Caesar” dressing that is completely vegan. (and way healthier than a traditional Caesar dressing!) I use tahini as a base for the dressing, which is one of my favourite ingredients to use for a rich and creamy texture.
The chickpeas are made to be like the croutons in this recipe and give the salad that crunch. I used liquid smoke on the chickpeas to also give them a smokey flavour, to mimic the taste of bacon in a Caesar salad.
Finally, the salad is topped with a hemp crumble, the “parmesan cheese” of the salad. The trick is to use nutritional yeast mixed with the hemp to give it that cheesy taste.
This kale Caesar salad with crispy smoked chickepas is:
- High in Fiber
- Loaded with antioxidants and vitamins
This vegan kale caesar salad is topped with crispy smoked chickpeas, hemp crumble and a creamy dressing. Vegan and naturally gluten-free!
Crispy smoked chickpeas:
- 1 can chickpeas (15 oz)
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 tsp liquid smoke
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 4 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 tbsp tahini
- 1 tbsp dijon mustard
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 tsp nutritional yeast
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 4 tbsp water
- A bunch of kale
Crispy smoked chickpeas
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F
- Drain & rinse the can of chickpeas and then place on a baking pan between two paper towels. Roll the chickpeas in the paper towels and remove as much water as possible. Some of the skins will come off the chickpeas, discard the skins. (This will make the chickpeas crispier!)
- Drizzle olive oil, liquid smoke and sea salt on the chickpeas mixing with your hands or a spoon until evenly coated.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes
- Add the hemp seeds, nutritional yeast, garlic powder and salt in a food processor.
- Pulse a few times until the mixture is crumbly, but still has a few whole pieces in it.
- Blend the olive oil, lemon juice, tahini, dijon mustard, garlic, nutritional yeast, salt, pepper and water together in a blender until smooth.
- Wash & dry the kale and remove the stem.
- Finely chop the kale and add it to a bowl
- Toss with the dressing, chickpeas and hemp crumble
You can use romaine lettuce instead of kale in this recipe if you prefer
Add any veggies you like to this salad
Keywords: vegan caesar salad, kale recipes
This post contains affiliate links. I only recommend products I know, trust and love!
If you love this recipe you’ll also love this forbidden rice salad with turmeric and kale!