This massaged kale salad is so simple to make and will quickly become one of your
It’s time for some salad!
And not just any salad, a massaged kale salad. Yeah, I know…I don’t even go for any massages meanwhile my kale over here is getting allll the VIP treatment. Sigh.
But really, there’s some *big magic* to massaging kale that will totally transform it in a salad and will make it go from stalky, tough and dry (ew.) to soft, luscious and tasty. (Yay!)
Kale health benefits
Kale is loaded tons of health benefits, so definitely a green veggie you want to be filling you plate with! Generally, the darker and greener your veggies, the more nutrient-dense they are.
Kale is one of my
- Loaded with calcium, vitamin K,
- High in Fiber
- High in iron
- Good for digestion
- Is anti-inflammatory
How to massage kale for a salad
I know it may seem a little bizarre. Massaging our greens for a salad…like, really? But massaging kale helps to break down the tough cells structure and gives the kale a more tender and softer texture.
So here’s how to do it:
- Remove the stems from your kale
- Rinse the kale and dry
- Shred the kale
- Add the kale to a bowl with some olive oil
- Use your hands to gently massage the kale until its nice and soft and tender
Doing this will instantly change your kale salad from blah to YAH!
A few notes on the recipe
This recipe for the best massaged kale salad is made with kale, avocado, seeds and dried cranberries, which gives the salad a perfect variety of textures and flavours.
The dressing for this salad is very simple, (olive oil & lemon juice) but if you prefer a vinaigrette on your salads you can go ahead and use your favourite one.
Unlike some other salads, this salad can be dressed a couple hours in advance before you want to serve it. (Though it’s still best enjoyed the same day you make it in my opinion!)
Make sure to use toasted pumpkin seeds and sunflower seeds for this salad, this is a must and will make your salad
This salad is naturally vegan, gluten-free, paleo friendly and keto friendly so it can be enjoyed by everyone! 🙂
Some more salad recipe to try
This massaged kale salad is seriously the BEST!
- 1 bunch kale (about 4–5 cups shredded)
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 avocado, cut into cubes
- 2 tbsp toasted pumpkin seeds
- 2 tbsp toasted sunflower seeds
- 2 tbsp dried cranberries
- salt & pepper to taste
- Remove stems from the kale, rinse, and chop.
- Add the kale to a bowl with 2 tbsp of olive oil and use your hands to massage the kale until it becomes tender. Then add the lemon juice and mix together
- Add the avocado, pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds, cranberries, salt and pepper and mix together.
Add any additional salad ingredients you love to this kale salad!
Use a good quality olive oil
- Serving Size: 1/6 recipe
- Calories: 145
- Sugar: 0g
- Fat: 13g
- Saturated Fat: 2g
- Carbohydrates: 7g
- Fiber: 3g
- Protein: 2g
Keywords: how to massage kale, kale salad recipe, vegan salad recipe