This vegan kale caesar salad is topped with crispy smoked chickpeas, hemp crumble and a creamy dressing. Vegan and naturally gluten-free!
Crispy smoked chickpeas:
- 1 can chickpeas (15 oz)
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 tsp liquid smoke
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 4 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 tbsp tahini
- 1 tbsp dijon mustard
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 tsp nutritional yeast
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 4 tbsp water
- A bunch of kale (about 8 cups chopped)
Crispy smoked chickpeas
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F
- Drain & rinse the can of chickpeas and then place on a baking pan between two paper towels. Roll the chickpeas in the paper towels and remove as much water as possible. Some of the skins will come off the chickpeas, discard the skins. (This will make the chickpeas crispier!)
- Drizzle olive oil, liquid smoke and sea salt on the chickpeas mixing with your hands or a spoon until evenly coated.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes
- Add the hemp seeds, nutritional yeast, garlic powder and salt in a food processor.
- Pulse a few times until the mixture is crumbly, but still has a few whole pieces in it.
- Blend the olive oil, lemon juice, tahini, dijon mustard, garlic, nutritional yeast, salt, pepper and water together in a blender until smooth.
- Wash & dry the kale and remove the stems.
- Finely chop the kale and add it to a bowl.
- Toss with as much dressing as you like, the chickpeas and hemp parmesan.
Make sure to remove the stems from your kale, they are tough and stalkly and not good in salads!
Let this salad sit for 5 minutes before serving so the dressing helps to soften the kale ever so slightly.
Make sure to pat the chickpeas dry before mixing them with the sesasoning. This will help make sure they come out nice and crispy.
Store any leftovers in the fridge separately! This salad is best when the ingredients are mixed together right before you want to eat it.
- Serving Size: 1/6th recipe
- Calories: 200
- Sugar: 2g
- Fat: 10g
- Saturated Fat: 1g
- Carbohydrates: 20g
- Fiber: 8g
- Protein: 8g
Keywords: kale salad, vegan caesar salad