This Vegan Fried Rice recipe is made with scrambled tofu and is a healthy alternative to traditional fried rice!
- 1 tbsp avocado oil (or vegetable oil)
- 1/2 pack of medium-firm tofu (approx 200g)
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
- 1/4 tsp soy sauce (gluten-free if needed)
- 1 cup uncooked jasmine rice, cooked according to package directions (can sub any rice)
- 1 tbsp avocado oil
- 3 green onions, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 large carrot, cut into small cubes
- 1 celery stalk, cut into small cubes
- 1/2 cup peas (cooked according to package directions)
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- 1 tbsp hoisin sauce
- 1 tsp sriracha
- Heat the avocado oil in a non-stick pan on medium-high heat.
- Crumble the tofu with your hands and add to the pan, letting cook for 2-3 minutes on each side.
- Add the turmeric and soy sauce and toss together.
- Remove the tofu from the pan and set it aside.
- Heat the remaining avocado oil in the pan, then add the green onion and cook for 2 minutes.
- Next add the garlic, carrot and celery and cook for another 4-5 minutes on medium heat, until the carrots are tender.
- Add the peas, rice, soy sauce, sesame oil, hoisin sauce, sriracha and scrambled tofu and mix until combined.
- Let sit and cook for 1-2 minutes to allow the bottom layer of rice to get a little crispy.
- Remove from heat and serve.
- Cook your rice ahead of time if you can. You want the rice to be at room temperature before stir-frying it so it doesn’t become mushy.
- Use firm tofu if you like it more crispy. Firm tofu will brown nicely in this dish and get slightly crispy. If you prefer a more soft eggy texture them go for medium tofu.
- Let the rice brown. This will make the rice slightly crispy on the bottom and absorb so much delicious flavour.
- Serving Size: 1/2 of recipe
- Calories: 450
- Sugar: 2g
- Fat: 8g
- Saturated Fat: 1g
- Carbohydrates: 70g
- Fiber: 7g
- Protein: 17g
Keywords: vegan fried rice, gluten-free fried rice, healthy fried rice