This Tofu Scramble is easy to make and comes together in under 15 minutes! A great vegan alternative to scrambled eggs and has 8 grams of protein per serving!
This recipe for Tofu Scramble makes for a great and healthy protein-packed breakfast that is naturally gluten-free and vegan.
Why you’ll love this recipe
- It comes together in just 15 minutes for a quick and easy breakfast.
- It can be enjoyed on its own, served on toast, eaten with hash browns, wrapped in a breakfast burrito and so much more.
- It’s a great post-workout breakfast option that’s filled with lean protein.
Tofu scramble seasoning
There are different seasonings you can add to a Tofu Scramble to add different flavours, but there are a few main seasonings I recommend always adding:
- Onion: Finely chopped. Trust me, you don’t want to leave this out!
- Garlic: 3 cloves. Again, don’t skip out on this. The onion and garlic will bring your scrambled tofu to a whole new level.
- Nutritional Yeast: this gives the tofu scramble that umami slightly cheesy “eggy” flavour.
- Turmeric powder: this adds that yellow colour to the tofu scramble that makes it look more like scrambled eggs
- Paprika: Adds a nice well rounded flavour to the scramble, plus it gives a bit more colour
- Garlic powder: Just a bit for some extra garlicky flavour
- Tamari: you can also use soy sauce. This adds some saltiness and more umami flavour to the tofu.
- Salt and pepper: You don’t need too much salt since the tamari is salty, but just a pinch of salt and pepper elevators the flavours in the scrambled tofu.
How to make this recipe
Use your hands and crumble the tofu until it’s all crumbly like in the image below.
Cook the onion and garlic in a non-stick pan then add the tofu and seasoning and mix everything together. Let the tofu cook on the bottom for a couple of minutes and then remove from heat.
Optionally top it off with some sriracha or hot sauce.
What type of tofu to use
Tofu has many different varieties ranging from silken to extra-firm tofu. So which one should you use in this recipe?
Truthfully, you can use any variety you like depending on your personal taste!
- Use silken to soft: if you like a really soft eggy-like texture
- Use medium: if you like it somewhere in between soft and firm
- Use firm-extra-firm: if you want to have crispy bits in your scrambled tofu (this one’s my favourite!)
Tips for making this recipe perfectly
- Use a non-stick pan to make this recipe. This will help you avoid having tofu stuck to the bottom of the pan.
- If you like having some crispy bites of tofu in your scramble, use firm or extra-firm tofu to make this recipe.
- You do not need to press your tofu to make this recipe.
- If you want to reheat leftovers, they taste best if you reheat them in a pan with a touch of olive oil.
More tofu recipes to try
If you tried this Tofu Scramble or any other recipe on the blog let me know how you liked it by leaving a comment/rating below! Be sure to follow along on Pinterest, Instagram and Facebook for even more deliciousness!Print
This tofu scramble recipe comes together in just 10 minutes and makes a delicious protein-rich breakfast!
- Crumble the tofu with your hands until it’s in small pieces. You can alternatively pulse it in a food processor a couple of times.
- Heat the olive oil in a large non-stick pan on medium-high heat, then add the onion and garlic let cook for 2 minutes.
- Add the tofu, turmeric, garlic powder, paprika, nutritional yeast, and tamari and mix everything together until combined.
- Let the tofu cook without touching it for 2-3 minutes, until it starts to brown on the bottom. Then mix it around and let cook another 2-3 minutes.
- Remove from heat. Taste and season if needed with salt and pepper
. This will help you avoid having tofu stuck to the bottom of the pan.
If you like having some crispy bites of tofu in your scramble, use firm or extra-firm tofu to make this recipe.
You do not need to press your tofu to make this recipe.
If you want to reheat leftovers, they taste best if you reheat them in a pan with a touch of olive oil.
- Serving Size: 1/2 recipe
- Calories: 134
- Sugar: 1g
- Fat: 9g
- Carbohydrates: 9g
- Fiber: 3g
- Protein: 8g
Keywords: how to make scrambled tofu, tofu scrambled, vegan scrambled eggs
This post contains affiliate links which means I will make a small commission if you purchase through those links. I only recommend products that I know, trust and love!