Farmers market vegan breakfast bowl
This farmers market vegan breakfast bowl is loaded with scrambled tofu, baked hash browns, and quinoa to fuel you up for the day!
I’m back in the kitchen after a much needed week away in Mexico. How strange it was to not cook a single thing for an entire week! It was even more strange to not do any dishes for an entire week! (Which is how I usually spend a large chunk of my day after lots of recipe development.)
After being on holiday I always get really excited to cook again. Especially healthy food after a week of not so healthy indulgences. (A girls gotta have some pina coladas and ice cream once in a while after all!) So I came home, headed straight to the farmers market, grabbed some fresh ingredients and got right too it.
Making a farmers market vegan breakfast bowl:
I understand why breakfast bowls are the “hype” now; these dishes are easy, flavorful and extremely versatile. The great thing about this farmers market vegan breakfast bowl is that you can substitute all the veggies for what you have available and in season at your local farmers market! Shopping and cooking this way is not only going to save you money in your grocery shopping (hello budget-friendly living!), but will also nourish your body with in-season fruits and vegetables containing far more nutrients than anything grown and exported. Plus you help our your local economy – sounds like a win, win, win to me!
My farmer’s market adventure left me with peppers and spinach, so that’s what went into mine. But maybe you’ll find some kale, squash, or sweet potatoes to add to your scramble! The important thing is to add what you love and enjoy preparing.
Vegan breakfast bowls are also a great option for an easy, quick breakfast. But how is that, you ask? Make several servings of quinoa and cooked vegetables at once, so you can quickly throw these bowls together! Believe me, taking time to prep these bowls is far better than that instant oatmeal you typically have for breakfast.
Farmers market vegan breakfast bowl
- Prep Time: 15 mins
- Cook Time: 25 mins
- Total Time: 40 mins
- Yield: 4 bowls 1x
- Category: Breakfast
- Method: Cook
- Cuisine: American
The ultimate vegan breakfast for brunch! This bowls loaded with scrambled tofu, hash browns, and quinoa.
- 1/2 cup quinoa (uncooked)
- 1 tbsp avocado oil (or coconut oil)
- 1 brick firm tofu
- 1/2 tsp turmeric
- 1/2 tsp chilli powder
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- salt & pepper to taste
- 1 green onion, chopped
- 1/2 red pepper, chopped
- 2 cups spinach
baked hash browns
- 2 medium potatoes
- 1/4 onion, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- pinch of salt & pepper
- handful parsley, or other herbs
- lemon wedge
- Cook quinoa according to package directions. set aside.
- Pat tofu dry with a paper towel to remove any excess moisture. Using your hands, crumble the tofu into small chunks.
- Heat avocado oil in a skillet on medium high heat. Add the green onion, tofu and seasoning and cook, stirring constantly for 2-3 minutes. Add the red pepper and spinach. Mix well and cook for another 2-3 minutes.
- To prepare your hash browns, preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- Grate your potatoes and onion with a large grater, or pulse a couple times in a food processor. Using a kitchen cloth or paper towels, squeeze out as much water as possible.
- Mix the potatoes, onion, olive oil, salt and pepper together in a bowl.
- Form into patties and place on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes, flipping halfway through.
- To assemble the bowls, place quinoa on the bottom, the top with tofu scramble and hash browns. Garnish with some chopped parsley and lemon.
- Serving Size: 1 bowl
- Calories: 218
- Sugar: 3g
- Fat: 6g
- Saturated Fat: 1g
- Carbohydrates: 35g
- Fiber: 6g
- Protein: 8g
Keywords: Vegan breakfast, vegan breakfast bowl, farmer's market breakfast bowl
Craving more breakfast? Here are 4 more great breakfast recipes from the blog!
1. Hippie breakfast bowl
2. Vanilla buckwheat pancakes
3. Nourishing vegan breakfast bowl with tempeh bacon
4. Layered chia pudding with mixed fruit puree
I really like your recipes and hope to find more based on glutenfree, dairy free, wheatfree, Thank you for sharing your wisdom & learnings with us.
You’re welcome Catherine!
This bowl is beautiful!! I love how versatile it is. I also used frozen hashbrowns and the whole bowl was delicious. Definitely a lot of work for a busy morning, so more of a yummy weekend breakfast.
Thank you for the review Lydia! I’m so glad you enjoyed this breakfast bowl. Great hack to use frozen hashbrowns to make this breakfast even faster!
This is such a good idea!! I need this in my tummy RIGHT NOW!! Haha!! I will be making this next week – just watch this space… thanks for the recipe 🙂 x
Hi Georgie, thank you so much! Hope you love the recipe! It’s one of my favourites for a weekend brunch 🙂
Great recipe! Loved this recipe. I used frozen hash brown and made stove top with onions. Super fast and filling! This will be my go to weekend breakfast recipe!
Thanks Lisa! And thats such a great quick hack to use frozen hashbrowns!
Hi Jess, great recipe! Already printed it out. I don’t know why but I can’t see the Pictures. Hopefully it is a bug on my browser but better is for you to check it. I will let you know how it works! xoxo Janine
Hi Janine! Thanks so much! I’ve had some technical issues with the blog this past month but it’s all being sorted out!
Wow this looks so amazing Jess! I am wishing you a wonderful Christmas time.
Thanks so much Ela! A great filling breakfast 🙂
Thank you for this Jess!
Your welcome David! Thank you for the review!