These vanilla buckwheat pancakes are fluffy, soft, and so comforting! Whip up a batch of these healthy pancakes for breakfast or brunch!
The weather has finally cooled down and now I have one thing on my mind: comforting breakfasts.
Don’t get me wrong, I’ll still probably keep drinking my green smoothies and smoothie bowls for most of the Fall and Winter (if you follow me on Instagram, you know how often I enjoy them!), but some days (like weekend brunch) I need those delicious comfort breakfasts!
Cue these vanilla buckwheat pancakes!
What do buckwheat pancakes taste like?
Most people will say buckwheat pancakes are an acquired taste. Perhaps this is true, but for me the difference is hardly noticeable. It is almost the same as regular pasta and whole wheat pasta – maybe they taste slightly different, but not enough to make you not like the whole wheat pasta!
Buckwheat pancakes tend to be darker in colors, but they are fluffier, lighter, airier and have a richer flavor. So for me, they are definitely better than traditional pancakes!
What are the benefits of eating buckwheat?
There are several practical and health benefits of eating buckwheat. The first one is the fact that buckwheat is actually not wheat! It is actually a seed, so buckwheat is gluten free. The perfect way to know that everyone will be able to eat the pancakes and enjoy them!
Next, buckwheat has many healthy benefits. It helps control blood sugar, promotes heart health, and contains lots of vitamins! It also contains more fiber than normal flour and is less processed, so enjoy these healthy pancakes!
How to make Buckwheat pancakes:
These pancakes are made like any other, we just use different dry ingredients. They’re made with a mix of half buckwheat flour, and half spelt (or regular if you prefer) flour.
I also recommend using white buckwheat flour for this recipe, to keep them lighter in taste.
Top these pancakes with your favourite fresh fruit and (of course) some maple syrup!
- Make 2 flax eggs by combining 2 tbsp flax seeds with 6 tbsp water and let sit for 5 minutes
- Try adding blueberries or chocolate chips into the batter mix!
- Need more brunch? Try my vegan buckwheat waffles!
Vanilla buckwheat pancakes for the win!
- 1 cup white buckwheat flour
- 1 cup spelt flour (can sub gluten-free flour or regular flour)
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 tsp organic cane sugar (can omit for sugar-free)
- 2 eggs or flax eggs* (see note)
- 1 1/4 cup almond milk
- 1 tbsp avocado oil (or any neutral flavoured vegetable oil)
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- extra oil for the pan
- Mix the buckwheat flour, spelt flour, baking powder, salt, and sugar together in a bowl.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the eggs, almond milk, avocado oil, and vanilla extract.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and mix until combined.
- Lightly coat a large non-stick skillet with oil on medium-high heat.
- Pour a large scoop of the batter into the pan and cook until brown on each side (about 2-3 minutes on one side and 1 minute on the second side)
- Serve with maple syrup and your favourite fruit.
- Serving Size: 1 pancake
- Calories: 212
- Sugar: 3g
- Fat: 11g
- Saturated Fat: 8g
- Carbohydrates: 25g
- Fiber: 4g
- Protein: 6g
Keywords: Vanilla buckwheat pancakes, vegan pancakes, how to make vegan pancakes