I Hope everyone is having a wonderful Tuesday. If your anything like me, Tuesdays mean one thing: tacos! And today, it means Thai red curry tacos with tofu.
Taco Tuesdays have become somewhat of a ritual for me. In fact, sometimes my taco Tuesdays even extend into taco Wednesdays & Thursday. There are just so many versatile things you can do with tacos!
While traditional Mexican tacos are absolutely delicious, it’s fun to mix it up sometimes. This recipe for Thai red curry tofu tacos does just that. It’s a fusion recipe that combines that classic corn tortilla taco shell, with a bold thai flavoured tofu filling.
Thai tofu curry
- 1 pack organic tofu
- 2-3 tbsp avocado oil (or any other high cooking temperature oil)
- 1 can coconut milk
- 1-2 tbsp red curry paste
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- Juice of ½ a lime
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 pack corn tortillas
- 1/2 cup shredded shredded purple cabbage
- 1/2 cup chopped red pepper
- 1 handful cilantro, chopped
- fresh lime and coconut cream to top (optional)
- 1/4 cup crushed peanuts.
- In a large saucepan, heat your avocado oil on medium high heat.
- Drain all the water from your tofu, chop into cubes, and add tofu to the pan on medium high heat. Cook your tofu for 3-4 minutes on each side, until golden brown. Make sure your pan is large enough, or cook your tofu in 2 batches.
- In a separate saucepan, on medium heat, and your curry paste and can of coconut milk and stir together until incorporated. Increase heat to medium high and let reduce, for about 5 minutes. (You will see the sauce begin to bubble and thicken.)
- Reduce to low heat, and add your soy sauce, maple syrup, lime, and paprika. Mix until incorporated.
- Add your cooked tofu to the pan with your curry sauce, on medium heat, and stir together until tofu is well coated in your sauce.
- Heat your corn tortillas in a large pan on medium heat for 1-2 on each side
- Fill your tortillas with your tofu, and top with shredded cabbage, peppers, cilantro, and crushed peanuts.
- Drizzle lime juice and coconut cream on top if desired.