Whipped Ricotta Toast
This Whipped Ricotta Toast recipe is easy to make and comes together in less than 10 minutes for a healthy and delicious breakfast or snack. Enjoy it as is or add any toppings to you!
What is ricotta toast?
Ricotta toast is (you guessed it) just ricotta on toast. But this toast goes way beyond that…this is WHIPPED ricotta toast!
The ricotta gets whipped up in a food processor giving it a fluffy cloud-like texture that is absolutely delicious on toast. Think of it as an elevated way of enjoying creamy cheese on toast.
The other thing I love about toast is there are so many different variations you can make. You can use any type of toast, even some homemade buckwheat bread and any additional toppings like chia seed jam.
Why you’ll love this recipe
- Tastes amazing! You may have tried avocado toast, but if you’ve never tried whipped ricotta toast you’re missing out! It’s probably one of the most delicious toasts you can eat.
- Customizable. Use any type of bread you like and add any additional toppings you like to this toast recipe. It’s completely customizable so you can make it sweet or savoury.
- Ready in 10 minutes. It takes less than 10 minutes to throw together this simple toast recipe that is perfect to enjoy on the weekend or serve up to guests for brunch.
Whipped ricotta ingredients
- Ricotta cheese: this type of cheese is light and creamy and perfect to whip up. I recommend getting fresh ricotta from a cheese store if possible, but pre-packaged ricotta from the grocery store works too.
- Olive oil: just a drizzle of olive oil mixed with the ricotta will help it whip up and become extra fluffy.
- Salt: for flavour. Most ricotta cheese is unsalted, so it’s important to add your own.
- Toast: any type of toast you love will work! I recommend sourdough.
How to make whipped ricotta toast
Add the ricotta to a food processor with olive oil and salt. If you don’t have a food processor, you can also mix it up by hand with a whisk.
Turn on the food processor and blend the ricotta, stopping the machine and scraping down the sides as needed.
Spread the whipped ricotta onto some toast or for an extra-pretty toast, add the whipped ricotta to a piping bag and pipe it onto the toast. Top with some olive oil and black pepper or whatever you like.
Ricotta toast topping ideas
There are so many different variations of this recipe and different ways you can top it. The amazing thing about ricotta cheese is that it pairs well with both sweet and savoury foods. You can even make yourself two slices of toast: one sweet, and one savoury if you like them both. Here are some great toppings to add to whipped ricotta toast.
Savoury topping ideas
- Olive oil
- Fresh tomatoes/roasted tomatoes
- Grilled vegetables
- Smoked salmon
- Fried egg
- Cannellini beans
- Toasted nuts
Sweet topping ideas
- Orange zest
- Nut butter
- Toasted nuts
- Shaved chocolate
How to store whipped ricotta
If you have any leftovers, I recommend storing the ricotta separately from the toast. Store the ricotta in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 5 days.
You can freeze ricotta in a container in the freezer for up to 2 months, though for eating it as a topping on toast I don’t recommend freezing.
Expert tips for making whipped ricotta toast
- Use fresh ricotta if possible. By fresh ricotta, I mean ricotta from a cheese store where they will package up the fresh ricotta for. This ricotta is simply better than pre-packaged ricotta from the grocery store and will result in a tastier ricotta toast.
- Keep the ricotta cold. Don’t let the ricotta sit on the counter for too long before making the recipe. Use cold ricotta straight from the fridge.
- Use a whisk if you don’t have a food processor. The ricotta won’t become quite as fluffy, but it will still get a little more whipped up than plain ricotta.
- Season the ricotta to taste. Most of the time ricotta cheese doesn’t have any salt in it, so season with a little bit of salt to your personal taste. If your ricotta is already salted you can skip this step.
Try these breakfast recipes next!
If you tried this Whipped Ricotta Toast or any other recipe on the blog let me know how you liked it by leaving a comment/rating below! Be sure to follow along on Pinterest, Instagram and Facebook for even more deliciousness!Print
Whipped Ricotta toast
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 0 minues
- Total Time: 10 minutes
- Yield: 2 servings 1x
- Category: Breakfast
- Method: Mix
- Cuisine: American
- Diet: Vegetarian
Level up your breakfast with some delicious whipped ricotta toast!
- 250 grams ricotta
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 slices of sourdough toast (or your favourite toast)
- olive oil
- sea salt
- lemon or orange zest
- Add the ricotta, olive oil and salt to a food proessor
- Pulse together until the ricotta is smooth and creamy.
- Toast the bread and spread the ricotta onto the toast. If you want to make it look fancy add the whipped ricotta to a piping bag and pipe it onto the toast.
- Add any additional toppings you like such as a drizzle of olive oil, a drizzle of honey and orange zest, or your favourite jam.
Store leftover whipped ricotta in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 5 days.
- Serving Size: 1/2 the recipe
- Calories: 350
- Sugar: 2g
- Fat: 18g
- Saturated Fat: 6.5g
- Carbohydrates: 27g
- Fiber: 3.8g
- Protein: 21g
Keywords: ricotta toast, whipped ricotta, toast with ricotta