Quick & Easy Chia Seed Jam
This Quick & Easy Chia Seed Jam comes together in 20 minutes and makes a perfect healthy spread or sauce! Try some this week on toast or a sandwich for a nutritious burst of fruity flavour.
Chia seed jam is a great alternative to using store-bought jams that are loaded with sugar. This jam uses fresh fruit, is sweetened with maple syrup and is delicious spread on toast or used as a sauce. It’s delicious on its own or in recipes like thumbprint cookies!
Why you’ll love this recipe
- This Chia Jam made only with 4 simple ingredients and is naturally vegan and gluten-free
- It’s a healthy alternative to store-bought jams and is sweetened with maple syrup, so they’re refined sugar-free.
- This jam is loaded with fresh berries, which are high in antioxidants and vitamins.
Is it ok to can chia jam?
While chia seed jam is a great alternative to regular jams, it is not recommended for canning.
Chia seed jam is more of a “short-term” jam that is best enjoyed within a week or two from your fridge. It can be stored in a jar or can of course, but because the jam is thickened with chia seeds rather than pectin and sugar, it does not preserve the same way those types of jam would.
How to make this recipe
Cut up the strawberries and add them to a pot with some lemon juice and maple syrup. Let them cook down for 15 minutes. Then add chia seeds to the pot.
Mix together and let cook down for another 5 minutes.
- You can use either fresh or frozen fruit to make chia seed jam, so you can make this recipe any time of year. (Though I highly recommend using fresh berries if you can for the best tasting jam!)
- Make sure to stir the jam often as you cook to prevent the bottom from sticking and burning.
- Use any type of berries you love or swap out berries for other fruits like peaches or apricots.
- Use a mason jar with a tight lid to store your chia seed jam. This will help it keep well.
More chia seed recipes to try
If you tried this Quick and Easy Chia Seed Jam or any other recipe on the blog let me know how you liked it by leaving a comment/rating below! Be sure to follow along on Pinterest, Instagram and Facebook for even more deliciousness!Print
Quick and Easy Chia Seed Jam
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minute
- Total Time: 25 minutes
- Yield: 6 servings 1x
- Category: Breakfast, spread
- Method: Cook
- Cuisine: American
- Diet: Gluten Free
this Chia Seed Jam is super healthy and only uses 4 simple ingredients!
- 3 cups strawberries, cut in halves
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- 2 tbsp chia seeds
- Add the strawberries, lemon juice and maples syrup to a pot on medium heat. Let cook down for 15 minutes, stirring every few minutes to prevent the bottom from burning.
- Add the chia seeds and mix together, letting cook for another 5 minutes.
- Transfer the jam to a jar and store in the fridge.
You can use either fresh or frozen fruit to make this recipe, and substitute strawberries for any berry you love.
Don’t forget to stir your jam every few minutes to prevent it from sticking and burning on the bottom!
Use a mason jar or any jar with a tight lid to store this jam.
This chia seed jam lasts for a week in the fridge.
- Serving Size: 1/6th of recipe
- Calories: 60
- Sugar: 7g
- Sodium: 2mg
- Fat: 1g
- Carbohydrates: 12g
- Fiber: 2.8g
- Protein: 1.5g
Keywords: chia seed jam, healthy jam
Just made this and we loved it! We ate it warm on toast with fresh almond butter. So good! Thank you for your post!
Thanks Heather! Glad you enjoyed 🙂
Delicious!! I love this jam, thank you so much!! I used fresh blackberries I just picked off some bushes during a bike ride and I didn’t quite pick 3 cups, so I added 1 cup frozen blueberries too. This is the best jam I’ve had since my mom’s strawberry jam I grew up with. Not too sweet, love the all natural ingredients, thanks again:)
Hi Marie, glad you liked the recipe! 🙂 So jealous you got to pick some fresh blackberries, I’m sure it must have been delicious!
This chia jam looks so fabulous! I love how simple and easy it is to make!
Thanks Sarah! It’s so good with fresh summer strawberries:)