This Chia Fresca is a natural energizing drink that filled with fibre, protein and will give you a boost of energy! It’s caffeine-free so you can enjoy it anytime a day!
What is a Chia Fresca?
A Chia Fresca is basically just water with some added chia seeds, citrus juice, and optionally some sweetener. While this might seem like a relatively new and innovative drink for some, this drink is my version of the traditional Mexican drink Iskiate, which has been a popular drink in Mexico and parts of central-American for a long time.
Aztec warriors used to use chia seeds to help for their energy and endurance. The word “chia” itself means “strength” in Mayan.
Chia seeds have many health benefits, including being high in omega-3’s, fibre and protein. 1 serving of this Chia Fresca has 5 grams of fibre and 3 grams of protein!
The great thing about this energizing drink is that it is completely natural and doesn’t contain any caffeine, so you can really drink it at any time of the day.
This recipe for Chia Fresca is made with lemon, maples syrup and a pinch of cayenne. But there are so many variations!
Try swapping out the lemon for any other type of citrus you love. Instead of maple syrup, you can use honey or agave.
If you like a bit more flavour, go ahead and add in a splash of your favourite juice.
Tips for making this Chia Fresca
- You can use either light or dark chia seeds, both are the same and will work the same. The only difference will be the colour!
- Let the chia seeds swell in the water for 15 minutes. This will make them easier to digest.
- The best way to drink this is out of a bottle or jar that you can put a cap on to shake it up, or out of a glass with a straw. The chia seeds will naturally sink to the bottom of the glass.
More chia recipes to try
If you tried this Chia Fresca or any other recipe on the blog let me know how you liked it by leaving a comment/rating below! Be sure to follow along on Pinterest, Instagram and Facebook for even more deliciousness!Print
This Chia Fresca is a natural energizing drink that is healthy and refreshing!
- 1 1/2 cups filtered water
- 1 tbsp chia seeds
- juice of 1/2 lemon
- 1–3 tsp maple syrup (depending on how sweet you like it)
- pinch of cayenne (optional)
- Mix all the ingredients together in a glass or jar. Stir or shake it up to make sure the chia seeds don’t clump together.
- Let sit in the fridge for at least 15 minutes before drinking.
. The only difference will be the colour!
Let the chia seeds swell in the water for 15 minutes. This will make them easier to digest.
The best way to drink this is out of a bottle or jar that you can put a cap on to shake it up, or out of a glass with a straw. The chia seeds will naturally sink to the bottom of the glass.
- Serving Size: 1 glass
- Calories: 78
- Sugar: 4g
- Fat: 5g
- Carbohydrates: 9g
- Fiber: 5g
- Protein: 3g
Keywords: chia fresca, chia seed drink, chia drink, healthy energy drink