Pina Colada Smoothie
Feel like you’re in the tropics with a glass of this Pina Colada Smoothie! It’s made with just 3 simple ingredients and comes together in 5 minutes for a refreshing and tropical smoothie.
Healthy Pina Colada Smoothie
There’s nothing better on a warm summer day than a refreshing smoothie or smoothie bowl. And when you’re looking for a smoothie that’s *extra* refreshing with a tropical twist, you’re going to want a glass of this Pina Colada Smoothie.
This simple smoothie is made with 3 ingredients and only takes 5 minutes to make. Plus it’s completely customizable so you can add in any additional fruits, seeds, nut butter or anything you like to it!
Ingredients you’ll need
- Pineapple: you can use fresh or frozen pineapple here. The important thing is that you use RIPE pineapple to get that delicious sweet taste!
- Banana: This isn’t a traditional ingredient in a pina colada, but bananas can help thicken and add creaminess to smoothies. Opt for a frozen banana to really help thicken the smoothie.
- Coconut milk: you can use full-fat coconut milk, lite coconut milk or boxed coconut milk. (from a carton) The choice is really up to you! As long as it tastes like coconut it will add that signature taste to the pina colada smoothie.
How to make a Pina Colada Smoothie
Add the coconut milk, pineapple and banana to a high-speed blender.
Tip: add the coconut milk to the blender first, followed by any fresh ingredients and frozen ingredients on top. This will make it easier for your blender to blend everything together.
Blend on high until smooth and creamy. If the smoothie is too thick to blend, add an extra splash of coconut milk.
Smoothie add-ins and mix-ins
There are so many great ways you can customize this Pina Colada Smoothie with a variety of add-ins and mix-ins! You can add these ingredients to the smoothie for some extra protein, fibre, healthy fats or a little nutrition boost!
- 1-2 tablespoons hemp seeds
- 2 teaspoons chia seeds
- 2 teaspoons flax seeds
- 1 scoop of protein powder
- 2-3 tablespoons oats
- 2 medjool dates (to sweeten if needed)
- 1 tablespoon honey (to sweeten if needed)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Other fruits like berries, mango or passionfruit
- Greens like spinach or kale
Pina Colada Smoothie tips
- Use ripe fruit. A smoothie will only taste as good as the fruit you put in it, so make sure to use ripe and sweet fruit in this smoothie!
- Use some frozen fruit. Either the banana or the pineapple used in the smoothie should be frozen. Using at least some frozen fruit in a smoothie is what helps to thicken the smoothie.
- If your smoothie is too thin, add some more frozen fruit and continue to blend until it’s thickened.
- If your smoothie is too thick, add some more liquid and continue to blend.
Frequently asked questions
Yes. If you don’t like bananas you can use an extra 2 cups of frozen pineapple, frozen mango or 1 cup of frozen coconut meat.
You can use any type of milk you like in this smoothie, just keep in mind that coconut is one of the key flavours in a pina colada so if you substitute it with another type of milk the smoothie will taste different.
Yes, if you want to prepare this smoothie ahead of time you can. You might need to shake it or stir it before drinking as it can separate while sitting in the fridge.
More smoothie recipes you’ll love
- 3 Veggie Packed Smoothies
- Dragon Fruit Smoothie
- Acai Smoothie
- Papaya Mojito Smoothie
- Orange Creamsicle Smoothie
If you tried this Pina Colada Smoothie or any other recipe on the blog let me know how you liked it by leaving a comment/rating below! Be sure to follow along on Pinterest, Instagram and Facebook for even more deliciousness!Print
Feel like you’re in the tropics with a glass of pina colada smoothie!
- 2 cup pineapple chunks
- 2 bananas, frozen
- 1 cup light or regular coconut milk
- Add all the ingredients to a high-speed blender and blend until smooth and creamy.
- Divide between two glasses.
Use ripe fruit in this smoothie for the best taste!
Frozen banana helps to thicken the smoothie. If you are using all fresh fruit, you can add a handful of ice and you might need to reduce the amount of coconut milk so the smoothie isn’t too thin.
- Serving Size: 1/2 the recipe
- Calories: 255
- Sugar: 29g
- Fat: 6.6g
- Saturated Fat: 5g
- Carbohydrates: 50g
- Fiber: 5.4g
- Protein: 3.7g
Keywords: pineapple coconut smoothie, pina colada smoothie