This Acai Smoothie recipe is healthy and packed with nutrients! It comes together in just 5 minutes for a refreshing smoothie that can be enjoyed for breakfast, a snack or even a dessert! Enjoy it on its own or top it off with your favourite granola.
What is acai?
You’ve probably seen acai bowls on the menu at some healthy breakfast spots. But besides being super trendy, acai is packed with nutritional benefits.
Acai is a berry considered to be a superfood that is grown in South American Rainforests. Acai is rich in antioxidants, packed with fibre, heart-healthy and calcium. Acai has a very earthy taste. Some people describe it to taste similar to a blackberry mixed with dark chocolate. It’s not as sweet as other berries and is very low in sugar.
Because of its earthy flavour, acai pairs great with ingredients like nut butters and coca.
Where to buy acai smoothie packs
Acai is sold in frozen packs, or as a freeze dried powder. You won’t likely find actual acai berries anywhere.
You can find frozen Acai packs or Acai powder at most health-food stores in North America. There are also some online health-food stores where you can have Acai shipped directly to you. The brand I use for this smoothie is called Sambazon and they also deliver from their website.
Ingredients you’ll need
- Frozen Acai: Acai smoothies or acai bowls are best made with frozen acai packets as opposed to powdered acai. The packets are made with 100% pure acai and blend up into a delicious smoothie
- Banana: This is a classic fruit to pair with acai that will make the smoothie thick and creamy. If you don’t like bananas you can also substitute frozen mango cubes.
- Berries: I use mixed frozen berries. You can any combination of berries you like or just one type of berry here.
- Peanut butter: nut butters pair so well with acai and make this smoothie creamy and nutty. This also adds some healthy fats and protein to the smoothie.
- Chia seeds: For some added nutrients and to thicken the smoothie
- Almond milk: or any other plant-based milk you love. Coconut milk works really well in this recipe too.
How to make an acai smoothie
Start by letting the frozen acai packet defrost just a bit. (they can be very hard when fully frozen and a bit hard to blend.) Then add all the ingredients to a high-speed blender with the almond milk on the bottom and fruit on the top.
Blend until smooth and creamy. Serve on its own or topped with your favourite granola!
- For a sweeter Acai Smoothie use ripe bananas. The Acai packs aren’t very sweet, so you’ll want to get the sweetness in the smoothie from the bananas.
- For a richer and creamier Acai Smoothie, use coconut milk instead of almond milk. This will also give the smoothie a more tropical flavour.
- Want to make this recipe into a smoothie bowl? Double the amount of banana and acai packs and use just ¼ cup of almond milk. You’ll also need to use a strong blender or food processor to blend into a thick consistency.
More smoothie recipes to try
If you tried this Acai Smoothie or any other recipe on the blog let me know how you liked it by leaving a comment/rating below! Be sure to follow along on Pinterest, Instagram and Facebook for even more deliciousness!Print
This Acai Smoothie is packed with acai, berries and bananas for a delicious and healthy breakfast!
- 1 frozen acai pack
- 1/2 cup frozen berries (any kind you like)
- 1 banana
- 1 tbsp peanut butter
- 1 tsp chia seeds
- 3/4 cup-1 cup almond milk
- Let the frozen acai pack defrost slightly for 5 minutes. (This will make it easier to blend.)
- Add all the ingredients to a blender and blend on high until smooth and creamy.
- Pour into a glass and enjoy topped with your favourite granola
If you like a sweeter smoothie make sure to use ripe bananas in this recipe. Acai is not sweet on its own.
If you want to make this recipe creamier and more tropical, you can use coconut milk instead of almond milk.
Depending on how frozen the acai and berries are, you may need slightly more or less almond milk for the smoothie to come together. Start with 3/4 cup and add more if needed.
- Serving Size: 1 smoothie
- Calories: 310
- Sugar: 23g
- Fat: 12g
- Carbohydrates: 40g
- Fiber: 9g
- Protein: 7g
Keywords: acai pack, acai smoothie