Veggie Pesto Pasta
This Veggie Pesto Pasta is a healthy and simple way to enjoy pasta that is packed with homemade walnut pesto and roasted zucchinis for a serving of vegetables! This recipe can be made with regular pasta, gluten-free pasta or grain-free pasta!
Vegetarian Pesto Pasta with Zucchini
I’ve got an amazing simple weeknight dinner for you today, Veggie Pesto Pasta!
This recipe is perfect to make in the summer while there is an abundance of fresh local Basil and Zucchinis available at the farmer’s market! (of course, you can make this dish year-round too.) Pesto is one of my favourite vegetarain sauces (does pesto qualify as a sauce?) to make during the summer that can be used for anything from a pesto pasta salad to a pesto pizza.
This Veggie Pesto Pasta features one of my favourite green vegetables, zucchini! Zucchini is out in abundance right now for the summertime, and nothing pairs better with pesto than some roasted zucchini! (In my humble opinion.) I
If you’re not a fan of zucchini and peas, you can try out some other summer vegetables instead. Asparagus and spinach, or even brussels sprouts would be delicious! Adding in veggies to this dish makes it a little more healthy so you get your serving of veggies in!
- Pasta: Any kind you like! Pesto goes great with any kind of pasta. You can also keep it gluten-free or grain-free if needed.
- Pesto: This recipe is made with my homemade walnut pesto. If needed you can always use store-bought, but I highly recommend homemade for the best results! If you prefer you can even try it with some Kale Pesto.
- Zucchini: This pairs so well with pesto and will add in that extra serving of veggies. You can also feel free to add any other vegetables you love to this recipe.
- Parmesan cheese: Optional, but highly recommended to top off the pasta!
How to make pesto pasta
Start by preparing the Walnut Pesto by mixing all the pesto ingredients together in a food processor. The recipe for the pesto will be linked in the recipe card below.
Roast the zucchini in the oven and cook the pasta according to package directions. Then add the zucchini and 1/3 cup of the pesto to the pot of pasta.
Taste and adjust seasoning if needed with some salt and pepper, or add more pesto if you like! Then serve topped with parmesan cheese.
Other veggies you can add
There are so many variations of veggies you can add in to this pasta. Feel free to play around and add in whatever you like!
- Roasted broccoli
- Roasted peppers
- Grilled asparagus
- Sautéed rapini
- Sautéed mushrooms
Tips for making this recipe perfectly
- Don’t forget to salt the pasta water! This is an important step to infuse flavour right into the noodles themselves and will make the dish taste extra flavourful. You should add about 2 tbsp per gallon of water.
- Add as much pesto as you like for your personal taste. You can always add more pesto if you like your pasta saucier.
- Want to make this into creamy pesto pasta? Add in a splash of cream when mixing everything together.
- Store leftover pasta in the fridge for up to 3 days. Reheat on the stovetop or in the microwave. You can also store the noodles and the pesto separately, and add them together when you are ready to serve.
- Store leftover pesto in a jar in the fridge for up to 7 days, or in the freezer. The best way to freeze the pesto is by adding the pesto to an icecube tray and topping each cube with olive oil to coat. (This will prevent the pesto from turning brown.) Let freeze completely them remove the cubes and store them in a ziplock bag in the freezer.
More pasta recipes to try
If you tried this Veggie Pesto Pasta or any other recipe on the blog let me know how you liked it by leaving a comment/rating below! Be sure to follow along on Pinterest, Instagram and Facebook for even more deliciousness!Print
Veggie Pesto Pasta
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- Yield: 2 servings 1x
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Cook
- Cuisine: Italian
- Diet: Vegetarian
This Veggie Pesto Pasta is loaded with walnut and basil pesto and roasted zucchini for a delicious meal!
- 2 cups fresh basil leaves, packed
- 1/3 cup walnuts
- 1/3 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 1 garlic clove
- 1/4–1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1/2 tbsp lemon juice
- 6 oz pasta of choice (approx 2 servings)
- 1 zucchini
- 1/2 tbsp olive oil
- Parmesan cheese to top (optional)
- Make the pesto: start by preparing the walnut pesto. Add all the pesto ingredients to a food processor and pulse until smooth and creamy. (scape down the sides of the food processor as needed to make sure everything gets blended.)
- Roast the zucchini: Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. cut the zucchini into half circles then toss with 1/2 tbsp of olive oil. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper then spread the zucchini onto the baking sheet and bake for 15 minutes.
- Prepare the pasta: cook the pasta according to package directions. Drain the pasta and add in the roasted zucchini and 1/3 cup pesto. Toss together on the stove-top on medium-low heat until combined and warmed through. Serve immediately topped with Parmesan cheese.
- For more detailed instructions and information on how to make the pesto, you can refer to my Easy Walnut Pesto recipe here.
- Salt your pasta water to infuse the pasta with flavour.
- You can add more or less pesto to the pasta depending on your personal taste. If you prefer a creamy pesto pasta, you can also add in a splash of cream.
- Nutritional information is an estimate and may vary depending on how much pesto you add to the dish.
- Serving Size: 1/2 recipe
- Calories: 550
- Fat: 30g
- Carbohydrates: 52g
- Fiber: 2g
- Protein: 5g
Keywords: vegetarian pesto pastas, veggie pesto pasta, pesto pasta with vegetables
This post contains affiliate links which means I will make a small commission if you purchase through those links. I only recommend products that I know, trust and love!
Yummy recipe that is even approved by native Italians! So easy and quick to make – I just love it!