This whole-grain buckwheat & chia bread is a hearty loaf that is naturally vegan and gluten-free!
If there’s one food I don’t think I’d ever be able to give up entirely, it’s bread.
Bread has got to be one of my all-time favourite foods to eat. I’m talking about all types of bread, and all shapes and sizes. Baguettes, bagels, mutli-grain sandwich bread, pita…you get the picture.
Although my love for bread runs deep, I do try and limit the amount of bread I eat. (otherwise, I would finish an entire baguette in one sitting)
Now I’m a big believer that we should enjoy everything in moderation, and I’ll still enjoy a baguette or some bagels or just a big delicious country loaf of bread when I feel like it, but for my day-to-day I wanted to have a bread that was more nutritiously dense and filled with hearty good for you ingredients.
This recipe for whole-grain buckwheat & chia bread is seriously almost unbelievable.
The first time I started experimenting with this recipe I was like…hold on…so I can mix chia seeds and buckwheat groats together and that will turn into a bread? SAY WHAT?
Yup. Like I said, it’s almost unbelievable.
It’s also loaded with sunflower seeds and flax seeds, so it’s got a substantial amount of protein in it and is really dense with fibre. (So it keeps you fuller, longer!)
This whole-grain buckwheat & chia bread is:
- High in protein
- High in Fiber
A couple slices of this topped with some avocado or nut butter and you’ve got yourself a delicious and filling breakfast or snack!
My favourite way to enjoy this bread is to cut up a few slices, and toast them until they are golden brown. I love to top mine with avocado, lime juice, sesame seeds, and fresh herbs or peanut butter & jelly.Print
Adapted from the healthy chef.
A hearty loaf that is naturally vegan and gluten-free. Perfect to top with avocado, hummus, or nut butters!
- Whisk the chia seeds and water together in a bowl. Set aside and let “gel” for 20 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 320 F and line a small loaf pan with parchment paper.
- Place the chia seeds, buckwheat groats, flax seeds, sunflower seeds, olive oil, maple syrup, baking powder and salt together in a food processor.
- Blend for 1-2 minutes until everything is well combined.
- Spoon the batter evenly into your loaf pan.
- Bake for 1 hour and 15 minutes, until the bread is firm to the touch.
- Remove from the oven and let cool for 15 minutes, before removing the bread from the pan and allowing to cool completely on a wire rack.
- Store in an air-tight container in the fridge for up to a week.
This bread is great when sliced and then toasted until golden brown!
Make sure to use fresh baking powder, otherwise, the bread won’t rise as much.
If you love this whole-grain buckwheat & chia bread you’ll also love this smashed avocado toast with watermelon radish!
This post contains affiliate links. I only recommend products I know, trust and love!