Healthy Chocolate Pumpkin Bread
This Healthy Chocolate Pumpkin Bread is easy to make and loaded with chocolate flavour. It can be made easily in a bowl (no mixer needed!) and is perfect for a healthy snack or treat!
Pumpkin bread with a chocolately twist!
This recipe is a bit different than a traditional pumpkin bread recipe because it’s filled with….chocolate! This bread is made with cocoa powder and chocolate chips in it, for a double chocolatey taste.
It has a similar taste to a fluffy yet rich chocolate cake if I’m being totally honest, which if you ask me is a big win! This bread also features some spices like cinnamon and nutmeg, so it still has those *cozy* fall flavours.
Why you’ll love this recipe
- This Healthy Chocolate Pumpkin Bread is easy to make and can be made in a bowl, no mixer needed!
- It can be easily made gluten-free using a 1-1 gluten-free flour blend.
- It’s sweetened naturally with maple syrup, and isn’t overly sweet, but still rich and decedent.
How to make this pumpkin bread
Start by mixing the dry ingredients together in one bowl, and the wet ingredients together in another bowl.
Then mix the wet ingredients and dry ingredients together and gently fold until combined. Don’t over-mix the batter or your pumpkin bread can come out dense. Then add and fold in the chocolate chips.
Bake the bread in the oven at 350 degrees for 45-55 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Let it cool on the counter before cutting into it!
Tips for making this recipe perfectly
- Make sure to use pumpkin puree and not pumpkin pie filling for this recipe. Sometimes the cans can look similar, but these aren’t the same thing!
- Don’t overmix the batter. Gently fold together just until combined. If you overmix it, the bread can come out a bit dense and flatter.
- Add-in any other mix-ins (like walnuts or pecans) you like to this recipe!
More pumpkin recipes to try
If you tried this Healthy Chocolate Pumpkin Bread or any other recipe on the blog let me know how you liked it by leaving a comment/rating below! Be sure to follow along on Pinterest, Instagram and Facebook for even more deliciousness!Print
This Healthy Chocolate Pumpkin Bread is packed with chocolate flavour and is perfect for a little snack or treat!
- 1 1/3 cup white spelt flour (can sub 1–1 gluten-free flour, regular flour or half whole wheat and half regular)
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 eggs, room temperature
- 1 cup pumpkin puree
- 1/3 cup coconut oil, melted and cooled
- 1/4 cup almond milk
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F and spray an 8×4 inch loaf pan with cooking spray. (or line with parchment paper)
- Mix the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt together in a bowl.
- In a separate bowl mix the eggs, pumpkin puree, coconut oil, almond milk, maple syrup and vanilla extract together.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry and mix together, then fold in the chocolate chips.
- Bake for 45-55 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean
- Let cool for at least 30 minutes before serving
This recipe doesn’t taste like “pumpkin” (as a pumpkin pie would) and tastes more like a spiced chocolate loaf. So expect a chocolate flavour 🙂
. Sometimes the cans can look similar, but these aren’t the same thing!
Don’t overmix the batter. Gently fold together just until combined. If you overmix it, the bread can come out a bit dense and flatter.
Do not add the coconut oil to the wet ingredients while it’s still hot! This will curdle the eggs.
Add-in any other mix-ins (like walnuts or pecans) you like to this recipe!
- Serving Size: 1/12 of recipe
- Calories: 170
- Sugar: 9g
- Fat: 11g
- Carbohydrates: 14g
- Fiber: 1g
- Protein: 2g
Keywords: chocolate pumpkin bread, healthy pumpkin bread