Healthy Chocolate Chip Zucchini Bread
This healthy chocolate chip zucchini bread is healthy, easy to make and loaded with delicious chocolate chips! It requires just 15 minutes of prep time and is a healthy snack option to have on hand for days. It’s perfectly moist and a total crowd pleaser!
If you’re looking for a way to use up all those zucchinis then look no further. I have a few different bread recipes like cinnamon apple bread, banana bread, and fluffy cornbread. Now it’s time for healthy zucchini bread! Chocolate chip zucchini bread is similar to banana bread but uses grated zucchini in the batter which keeps the bread moist and light. (Plus bonus, you get some added “hidden” veggies into your loaf!)
The texture of this zucchini bread is soft and fluffy with just a bit of crumb and just the right amount of sweetness. Unlike some other zucchini bread recipes, this bread isn’t loaded with tons of sugar. (But is still perfectly sweet!)
Why you’ll love this recipe
- You don’t need any fancy kitchen equipment to make this recipe. Just a large bowl and a spoon to mix!
- This recipe can be made with Spelt flour, whole wheat flour, gluten-free flour blend or just regular flour, so it can be modified to suit your dietary needs.
- The zucchini keeps this bread nice and moist and also adds in a serving of veggies into your day.
- The dark chocolate chips add some sweetness to this bread, without having to add a ton of extra sugar to the recipe.
How to make healthy chocolate chip zucchini bread
Mix the dry ingredients together in a bowl, and the wet ingredients together in a separate bowl. Pour the dry ingredients into the wet and mix them together until combined. The batter will seem a bit dry and quite thick.
Grate the zucchini and add it to the bowl mixing until combined. You’ll see that after mixing for a few second the batter will start to become moister.
Finally, add in the chocolate chips and give it a stir before transferring the batter into an 8×4 inch loaf pan.
Bake at 350 degrees for 55-60 minutes. Make sure to let the bread cool for at least 30 minutes before cutting into it!
- Use a box grater to grate the zucchini easily. No need to peel the zucchini first!
- Mix the batter by hand to prevent overmixing. A few clumps in the batter are ok.
- To make the bread rise perfectly: make sure your baking powder is fresh and not stale, and don’t overmix the batter.
- To make these into muffins: Fill a muffin pan with liners and fill each mould 3/4 of the way full. bake at 350 degrees F for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
You’ll need about 1 larger zucchini or 2 small zucchinis
I promise you zucchini bread does not taste like zucchini! In fact, the zucchini doesn’t really add much flavour at all, but it does add some texture and moisture to the bread. Zucchini bread tastes mostly like what you flavour it with. In this case, cinnamon, vanilla and chocolate chips.
Usually, loaf breads take somewhere around one hour to cook. You can take the bread out of the oven to check on it and insert a toothpick in the bread. If the toothpick comes out clean, the bread is done. If the toothpick comes out with some batter or covered in crumbs, it needs more time.
More healthy bread recipes to try
If you tried this Chocolate Chip Zucchini Bread or any other recipe on the blog let me know how you liked it by leaving a comment/rating below! Be sure to follow along on Pinterest, Instagram and Facebook for even more deliciousness!Print
Healthy Chocolate Chip Zucchini Bread
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 60 minutes
- Total Time: 75 minutes
- Yield: 10 slices 1x
- Category: Breakfast, Snack, Dessert
- Method: Bake
- Cuisine: American
- Diet: Vegetarian
This zucchini bread is healthy, light and loaded with zucchini and delicious chocolate chips!
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup coconut oil, melted (can sub melted butter)
- 1/2 cup coconut sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups white spelt flour or white whole wheat flour (can sub regular flour)
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 1 1/2 cups grated zucchini
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips, plus more for sprinkling on top.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and line an 8×4 inch loaf pan with parchment paper.
- Mix the eggs, coconut oil, coconut sugar and vanilla extract together in a bowl until well combined. Set aside.
- Mix the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg together in a bowl.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry mixing until they start to incorporate (the mixture will be a bit dry, that’s okay.) , then add the zucchini and mix just until everything is combined.
- Add the chocolate chips and give it another mix, then transfer the batter to a loaf pan.
- Bake for 55-60 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Let cool on the coutertop for at least 30 minutes before cutting.
Use a box grater to grate the zucchini easily. No need to peel the zucchini first!
Mix the batter by hand to prevent overmixing. A few clumps in the batter are ok, don’t overmix the batter.
To make this recipe into muffins: Fill a muffin pan with liners and fill each mould 3/4 of the way full. bake at 350 degrees F for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
To make this recipe gluten-free, use a 1-1 gluten-free flour blend like this one.
Store this bread well covered on the counter for up to 5 days.
- Serving Size: 1 slice
- Calories: 230
- Sugar: 11g
- Sodium: 250mg
- Fat: 11g
- Saturated Fat: 7g
- Carbohydrates: 27g
- Fiber: 2g
- Protein: 4g
Keywords: zucchini bread with chocolate chips, healthy zucchini bread recipe, healthy chocolate chip zucchini bread
Hello! I would love to try this recipe, but I am wondering if I could include some mashed banana in it? Or will the bread become too moist and not cook properly? Thanks in advance.
Hi there, if you include some banana you will need to remove some zucchini ( so if you add 1/2 cup mashed banana, remove 1/2 cup zucchini)
I just loved it both as breakfast and a treat with tea or coffee 🙂 and it is so easy to make.
Hi Rosita, thank you for the review! So glad you enjoyed the recipe. This is how I like to enjoy it too!