This vegan banana bread is healthy, easy to make and so delicious! This will quickly become your new favourite banana bread recipe!
When it comes to banana bread there are a few necessities that make it perfect. It has to be moist, fluffy, just the right amount of crumbly and of course, be loaded with tons of banana flavour!
Many vegan banana bread recipes with no eggs or milk can be a little mushy or gummy, but not this banana bread! This vegan banana bread is the one. I love having this banana bread or my vegan carrot cake bread around for when I need a quick healthy afternoon snack.
How to make vegan banana bread
Here is what you’ll need:
- ground flax seeds
- whole-grain flour or gluten-free flour
- coconut sugar
- baking powder & baking soda
- cinnamon & nutmeg
- 3 overripe bananas
- avocado oil or a neutral tasting vegetable oil
- apple cider vinegar
- vanilla extract
First, prepare the flax egg by mixing 2 tbsp ground flax with 6 tbsp of water and set aside to gel.
Then mix all the dry ingredients together in a bowl, and the wet ingredients together in a separate bowl
Then mix the dry ingredients and wet ingredients together just until combined
Pour the batter into a greased 8×4 inch loaf pan, and optionally top with a sliced banana
Bake for 50-55 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
Tips for making moist and fluffy banana bread
- Use overripe medium sized bananas. This will add natural sweetness to your banana bread.
- Don’t skip out on the apple cider vinegar! Vinegar is an essential component of this recipe that will help give the banana bread lift and make it fluffy since there are no eggs in the batter.
- Don’t overmix the batter. Mix just until combined and no large chunks remain. Overmixing can lead to tough and dense bread.
- Use fresh baking powder and baking soda. If your banana bread doesn’t rise, it could be because you’re using stale baking powder or baking soda.
Recipe variations & adaptations
I love this recipe because there are so many ways you can adapt it and make different variations
- If you love nuts, chocolates, or dried fruit, try adding those into the batter or sprinkling them on top
- Make this banana bread gluten-free by using your favourite 1-1 gluten-free flour (one that contains xantham gum) or using gluten-free oat flour
- If you’re avoiding oil you can substitute the avocado oil with apple sauce. (Though I find oil makes for a lighter and fluffier banana bread.)
- Whole-grain spelt flour can be substituted with whole wheat flour or regular flour if that’s what you have on hand
How to make this recipe into vegan banana bread muffins
This recipe works well as muffins too! Simply follow the recipe directions as you would for the bread, but add the batter to a muffin tin instead, filling each cup 3/4 of the way full.
Bake at 350 degrees F for 18-22 minutes until golden brown on top. Make sure to use a toothpick and poke one of the muffins to see if the toothpick comes out clean. If it doesn’t, your muffins may need a little extra time!
Other vegan baked goods to try
If you tried this vegan banana bread or any other recipe on the blog let me know how you liked it by leaving a comment/rating below! Be sure to follow along on Pinterest, Instagram and Facebook for even more deliciousness!Print
A healthy simple vegan banana bread that is delicious and can also be made into muffins! Recipe adapted from from my bowl.
- 2 tbsp ground flax seeds mixed in 6 tbsp water
- 3 bananas, mashed
- 1/3 cup avocado oil (or vegetable oil)
- 2 tsp apple cider vinegar (can sub white vinegar)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups whole-grain spelt flour (sub-gluten-free flour if needed or whole wheat flour)
- 1 cup oats
- 1/2 cup coconut sugar
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- (optional) one yellow banana sliced in half to top
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and spray an 8×4 inch loaf pan with cooking spray
- Make the flax egg: Mix the flax seeds and water together in a small bowl. Set aside to let gel for 5 minutes
- Mix the wet ingredients together: mix the mashed bananas, avocado oil, apple cider vinegar, vanilla extract and the flax eggs together in a bowl
- Mix the dry ingredients together: Mix the spelt flour, oats, coconut sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg together in a separate bowl
- Mix everything together: Pour dry ingredients into the wet ingredients and mix just until combined. Don’t overmix!
- Bake: Pour your batter into your loaf pan and bake for 50-55 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean
If you’d like to top this banana bread with a banana, use a medium yellow (not overripe) banana and slice it in half down the middle. Place the banana slices with the cut side facing up on top of your banana bread.
Vinegar is essential to making this banana bread light and fluffy so don’t leave it out! It won’t make the banana bread taste like vinegar, I promise.
Don’t overmix the batter. Mix just until combined for a fluffy banana bread.
Depending on your oven, your banana bread may need slightly more or less time. To test if it’s done, insert of a toothpick into the banana bread and pull it out. If it comes out with batter on it, then the bread needs more time. If it comes out clean, the bread is ready.
- Serving Size: 1 slice
- Calories: 187
- Sugar: 12g
- Sodium: 120g
- Fat: 2.2g
- Carbohydrates: 37g
- Fiber: 3g
- Protein: 3.8g
Keywords: vegan banana bread, oatmeal banana bread, healthy banana bread
This post contains affiliate links which means I will make a small commission if you purchase through those links. I only recommend products that I know, trust and love!