Healthy and Easy Banana Nut Muffins
These Healthy and Easy Banana Nut Muffins are fluffy, easy to make, and loaded with banana flavour! They’re a healthy version of boxed banana nut muffins, free of gluten, dairy, and refined sugar!
I have a new obsession you guys, and it’s BANANA NUT MUFFINS!
Light and fluffy and loaded with banana flavour and crunchy walnuts. Seriously, these muffins have been my go-to for breakfast, snacks, dessert, and beyond. Then again, banana anything is my go-to lately, from Banana Bread Granola to Banana Cream Pie Chia Pudding!
If you haven’t tried adding walnuts to your muffins, now is the time! It gives them an extra little crunch that is OH SO YUMMY. Not to mention walnuts are loaded with protein, healthy fats and Omega-3’s!
How to make healthy banana nut muffins
Ok , so here’s the deal. All you need to make these muffins are two bowls, and a spoon – that’s it!
You’ll want to start with over-ripe bananas. When they get nice and brown and spotty, that’s when you know they’re ready. The bananas get mashed up in a bowl with the rest of the wet ingredients and then gently mixed into the dry ingredients.
The key here is to mix the batter just the right amount. You want to mix it up until it’s just combined, but not over-mixed. This way, the banana nut muffins come out perfectly fluffy and moist!
These muffins then get baked at 375 degrees for 20-22 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean.
A few notes on the recipe
These Healthy and Easy Banana Nut Muffins can be made with plenty of modifications to suit your taste and dietary restrictions! I like to use whole grain Spelt flour in this recipe, but you can use regular whole-wheat flour, or a 1-1 gluten-free flour instead.
You can also add in any types of nuts or even dark chocolate chips if you’re a chocolate banana lover!
These banana muffins can be made into a banana bread loaf, but you will need to adjust the baking time if you make this recipe in a loaf pan. Generally, I bake a banana bread loaf for 45-55 minutes. I also have a Vegan Banana Bread recipe, as a reference for loaf baking instructions!
Health benefits of banana muffins
- This recipe is filled with whole grains & fibre sources to keep you feeling fuller for longer
- Walnuts are a great source of protein, healthy fats, and Omega-3’s, as well as a crunchy texture and added flavour
- The coconut sugar in this recipe keeps these muffins refined-sugar free, to help avoid that sugar crash
More muffin recipes to tryPrint
These Healthy Banana Nut Muffins are the BEST! They’re easy to make, healthy and delicious.
- 1 1/2 cups whole grain Spelt flour (can sub 1-1 gluten-free flour or whole wheat flour)
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
- 3 medium overripe bananas, mashed
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup coconut oil, melted
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1/4 cup coconut sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup walnuts, chopped
- Preheat the oven to 375 F and line a muffin pan with muffin liners.
- Mix the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg together in a bowl. Set aside.
- Mix the mashed bananas and egg together until well combined,then add the coconut oil, maple syrup, coconut sugar and vanilla extract and mix together until well combined.
- Mix the dry and wet ingredients together just until everything is incorporated, then fold in the walnuts.
- Spoon the mixture into each muffin liner about 3/4 of the way full.
- Bake for 20-22 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean
Store leftovers in an air-tight container on the counter or in the fridge for 5 days.
How to make light and fluffy muffins: make sure to use room tempature eggs and oil or butter in this recipe. This will help create a smooth texture in the batter and will trap air and expand when baked, leaving you with fluffy muffins.
Muffin substitutions and add-ins: if you’re not a fan of walnuts, you can try these muffins with pecans, chopped almonds or any type of nuts you like. You can also add in some chocolate chips or chopped dried fruit to the batter.
Make this recipe into a banana bread: These banana muffins can be made into a banana bread loaf, but you will need to adjust the baking time if you make this recipe in a loaf pan. Generally, I bake a banana bread loaf for 45-55 minutes. I also have a Vegan Banana Bread recipe, as a reference for loaf baking instructions!
- Serving Size: 1 muffin
- Calories: 191
- Sugar: 11g
- Fat: 13g
- Saturated Fat: 8g
- Carbohydrates: 19g
- Fiber: 2g
- Protein: 3g
Keywords: healthy banana nut muffins, easy banana nut muffins
If you tried these Healthy and Easy Banana Nut Muffins or any other recipe on the blog let me know how you liked it by leaving a comment/rating below! Be sure to follow along on Pinterest, Instagram and Facebook for even more deliciousness!