Healthy and Easy Banana Nut Muffins
These Healthy and Easy Banana Nut Muffins are fluffy, easy to make, and loaded with banana flavour! They’re a healthy version of boxed banana nut muffins, free of gluten, dairy, and refined sugar!
I have a new obsession you guys, and it’s BANANA NUT MUFFINS!
Light and fluffy and loaded with banana flavour and crunchy walnuts. Seriously, these muffins have been my go-to for breakfast, snacks, dessert, and beyond. Then again, banana anything is my go-to lately, from Banana Bread Granola to Banana Cream Pie Chia Pudding!
If you haven’t tried adding walnuts to your muffins, now is the time! It gives them an extra little crunch that is OH SO YUMMY. Not to mention walnuts are loaded with protein, healthy fats and Omega-3’s!
How to make healthy banana nut muffins
Ok , so here’s the deal. All you need to make these muffins are two bowls, and a spoon – that’s it!
You’ll want to start with over-ripe bananas. When they get nice and brown and spotty, that’s when you know they’re ready. The bananas get mashed up in a bowl with the rest of the wet ingredients and then gently mixed into the dry ingredients.
The key here is to mix the batter just the right amount. You want to mix it up until it’s just combined, but not over-mixed. This way, the banana nut muffins come out perfectly fluffy and moist!
These muffins then get baked at 375 degrees for 20-22 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean.
A few notes on the recipe
These Healthy and Easy Banana Nut Muffins can be made with plenty of modifications to suit your taste and dietary restrictions! I like to use whole grain Spelt four in this recipe, but you can use regular whole-wheat flour, or a 1-1 instead.
You can also add in any types of nuts or even darkif you’re a chocolate banana lover!
These banana muffins can be made into a banana bread loaf, but you will need to adjust the baking time if you make this recipe in a loaf pan. Generally, I bake a banana bread loaf for 45-55 minutes. I also have a Vegan Banana Bread recipe, as a reference for loaf baking instructions!
Health benefits of banana muffins
- This recipe is filled with whole grains & fibre sources to keep you feeling fuller for longer
- Walnuts are a great source of protein, healthy fats, and Omega-3’s, as well as a crunchy texture and added flavour
- The in this recipe keeps these muffins refined-sugar free, to help avoid that sugar crash
More muffin recipes to tryPrint
These banana nut muffins are the BEST! Easy, healthy and delicious!
- 1 1/2 cups whole grain Spelt flour (can sub 1–1 gluten-free flour or whole wheat flour)
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
- 3 medium overripe bananas, mashed
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup coconut oil, melted
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1/4 cup coconut sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup walnuts, chopped
- Preheat the oven to 375 F and line a muffin pan with muffin liners.
- Mix the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg together in a bowl. Set aside.
- Mix the mashed bananas and egg together until well combined,then add the coconut oil, maple syrup, coconut sugar and vanilla extract and mix together until well combined.
- Mix the dry and wet ingredients together just until everything is incorporated, then fold in the walnuts.
- Spoon the mixture into each muffin liner about 3/4 of the way full.
- Bake for 20-22 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean
Add any of your favourite add-ins to these muffins like nuts, dried fruits or chocolate chips!
These muffins can be made into a banana loaf, but you will have to alter the cooking time.
- Serving Size: 1 muffin
- Calories: 191
- Sugar: 11g
- Fat: 13g
- Saturated Fat: 8g
- Carbohydrates: 19g
- Fiber: 2g
- Protein: 3g
Keywords: how to make banana muffins, healthy, easy, best
If you tried these Healthy and Easy Banana Nut Muffins or any other recipe on the blog let me know how you liked it by leaving a comment/rating below! Be sure to follow along on Pinterest, Instagram and Facebook for even more deliciousness!