These healthy and easy banana nut muffins are SO yummy and will be your new favourite go-to snack!
I have a new obsession you guys, and it’s BANANA NUT MUFFINS!
Light and fluffy and loaded with banana flavour and crunchy walnuts. Seriously these muffins have been my go-to for breakfast, snacks, dessert, and beyond.
If you haven’t tried adding walnuts to your muffins, now is the time! It gives them an extra little crunch that is OH SO YUMMY. Not to mention walnuts are loaded with protein, healthy fats and omega-3.
How to make healthy banana nut muffins
Ok , so heres the deal. We need 2 bowls and a spoon to make these muffins. DAS IT.
You’ll want to start with over-ripe bananas. When they get nice and brown and spotty that’s when you know they’re ready. The bananas get mashed up in a bowl with the rest of the wet ingredients and then gently mixed into the dry ingredients.
The key here is to mix the batter just the right amount. You want to mix it up until it’s just combined, but not over mixed. This way the banana nut muffins come out perfectly fluffy and moist!
These muffins then get baked at 375 degrees or 20-22 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean.
A few notes on the recipe
These healthy and easy banana nut muffins can be made with plenty of modifications to suit your taste and dietary restrictions! I like to use whole grain Spelt flour in this recipe, but you can use regular whole-wheat flour, or a 1-1 gluten-free flour instead.
You can also add in any types of nuts or even some dark chocolate chips to this recipe if your a chocolate banana lover!
These banana muffins can be made into a banana bread loaf, however you will need to adjust the baking time if you make this recipe in a loaf pan. Generally, I bake a banana bread loaf for 45-55 minutes.
Health benefits of banana muffins
- Filled with whole grains & fibre to keep you feeling full
- Added protein & healthy fats from the walnuts
- Refined-sugar free to avoid that sugar-crash!
Other breads & muffin recipes to try
- Rhubarb oat bran muffins
- Vegan coffee cake muffins
- Cinnamon roll apple bread
- Dark chocolate chip & rye banana brad
These banana nut muffins are the BEST! Easy, healthy and delicious!
- 1 1/2 cups whole grain Spelt flour (can sub 1–1 gluten-free flour or whole wheat flour)
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
- 3 medium overripe bananas, mashed
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup coconut oil, melted
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1/4 cup coconut sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup walnuts, chopped
- Preheat the oven to 375 F and line a muffin pan with muffin liners.
- Mix the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg together in a bowl. Set aside.
- Mix the mashed bananas and egg together until well combined,then add the coconut oil, maple syrup, coconut sugar and vanilla extract and mix together until well combined.
- Mix the dry and wet ingredients together just until everything is incorporated, then fold in the walnuts.
- Spoon the mixture into each muffin liner about 3/4 of the way full.
- Bake for 20-22 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean
Add any of your favourite add-ins to these muffins like nuts, dried fruits or chocolate chips!
These muffins can be made into a banana loaf, but you will have to alter the cooking time.
- Serving Size: 1 muffin
- Calories: 191
- Sugar: 11g
- Fat: 13g
- Saturated Fat: 8g
- Carbohydrates: 19g
- Fiber: 2g
- Protein: 3g
Keywords: how to make banana muffins, healthy, easy, best