Dark Chocolate Pots De Crème
This Dark Chocolate Pots De Crème is a healthy dessert that is naturally vegan, gluten-free, grain-free and refined sugar-free! You can make it directly in your blender in just 10 minutes!
Healthy Chocolate Pots De Crème recipe
Who doesn’t love a chocolate dessert (or even a chocolate pudding for breakfast)? Especially a healthy chocolate dessert that is rich and packed with flavour!
This Dark Chocolate Pots De Crème recipe is made with simple and healthy ingredients like raw cashews, dates and 70% dark chocolate to make up the perfect little cups.
If you’re not familiar with Pot de Crème, it’s a French dessert that is a chocolate custard. It’s thicker than a pudding, but denser than a chocolate mousse. It falls somewhere right in the middle of the two!
Why you’ll love this recipe
- These chocolate pots are naturally dairy-free, egg-free, and completely -vegan-friendly
- This recipe is sweetened naturally with Medjool dates and a touch of Maple syrup
- These can be prepared in just 10 minutes! (*But make sure to let them set in the fridge for at least a couple hours)
How to make this recipe
Start by adding all the ingredients, except for the dark chocolate to a high-speed blender. Blend until smooth.
Melt the dark chocolate then add it to the blender, blend again until smooth.
Divide the mixture between 4-6 small cups. It’s quite rich so you don’t need large cups!
Recipe susbstitutions and add-ins
Cashew substitutions: If you don’t like cashews, you can use raw macadamia nuts, or full-fat coconut milk instead. If using coconut milk, use 1 1/2 cups.
Chocolate: any type of chocolate will work for the recipe. If you prefer a milk chocolate or white chocolate, you can use those!
Sweeteners: maple syrup can be replaced with any liquid sweetener.
Flavour boosters: Instead of orange zest, try adding some mint extract, lime zest, or a hint of cayenne pepper!
Tips for making this recipe perfectly
- You can make this recipe in a blender or a food processor. If using a food processor, make sure to scrape down the sides well and you pulse the mixture. You want it to be entirely smooth and creamy.
- Soak the raw cashews in water before using. This will help soften them and make them easier to blend and create a smoother texture.
- If your dates are very dry, soak them in warm water for 5 minutes, then drain and use. This will help rehydrate the dates so they can blend more easily.
- Store in the fridge for up to 1 week. You can also freeze these for up to 3 months! Defrost in the fridge.
More chocolate recipes to try
- Vegan Chocolate Mug Cake
- Dark Chocolate Almond Butter Cups
- Healthy Chocolate Rice Crispy Treats
- Vegan Chocolate Hazelnut Tart
If you tried these Dark Chocolate Pots De Crème or any other recipe on the blog let me know how you liked it by leaving a comment/rating below! Be sure to follow along on Pinterest, Instagram and Facebook for even more deliciousness!Print
Dark Chocolate Pots De Crème
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 0 minutes
- Total Time: 10 minutes
- Yield: 4–6 servings 1x
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Blend
- Cuisine: French
- Diet: Vegan
These Dark Chocolate Pots De Crème take 10 minutes to prepare and are naturally vegan and refined sugar-free!
- 1/2 cup raw unsalted cashews, soaked in water for 1 hour then drained
- 7 medjool dates
- 2 tbsp cocoa powder
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- pinch of salt
- 2 tsp orange zest
- 1 cup water
- 6oz 70% dark chocolate
- Add the cashews, dates, cocoa powder, maple syrup, vanilla extract, salt, orange zest and water to a blender or food processor and blend until smooth and creamy, scraping down the sides as needed.
- Melt the chocolate in a microwave-safe bowl, or using a double boiler method then pour the melted chocolate into the blender or food processor and blend again until everything is combined.
- Pour into 4-6 small cups or jars and place in the fridge for 2-4 hours to set.
- Top with any toppings you’d like. (Pictured above is coconut yogurt and dark chocolate shavings)
You can make this recipe in a blender or a food processor. If using a food processor, make sure to scrape down the sides well and you pulse the mixture. You want it to be entirely smooth and creamy.
Soak the raw cashews in water before using. This will help soften them and make them easier to blend and create a smoother texture.
If your dates are very dry, soak them in warm water for 5 minutes, then drain and use. This will help rehydrate the dates so they can blend more easily.
Store in the fridge for up to 1 week. You can also freeze these for up to 3 months! Defrost in the fridge.
- Serving Size: 1/6th of recipe
- Calories: 260
- Sugar: 22g
- Fat: 14g
- Carbohydrates: 30g
- Fiber: 3g
- Protein: 4.5g
Keywords: healthy chocolate pots, vegan chocolate pudding, dark chocolate pot de creme
If using coconut milk do you still add 1 cup of water
This recipe looks yummy. Can I make this if I don’t have any chocolate? Would cocoa powder alone work?
I recommend following the recipe instructions and using chocolate!
If using coconut milk do you still need to add water
Hi Mireille, this recipe doesn’t call for coconut milk, I’d recommend sticking to the recipe using water for the best results 🙂
Can orange extract be used in place of the orange zest? If so, what would the amount be?
Hi Carolyn, I haven’t personally tested out the recipe with orange extract so I can’t say for sure what the strength you need would be. If it’s similar to vanilla extract then I image 1/2-1 tsp would work