These Healthy Chocolate Rice Krispie Treats are made with 7 simple ingredients and are naturally vegan and gluten-free! These treats are so easy to make and topped off with a dark chocolate layer. Trust me, you’ll want to eat the entire batch!
A healthy treat that’s easy to make
First off, let me start by saying that while this is healthier than your average treat, It’s still a dessert and still has sugar (from brown rice syrup) and some fat (from coconut oil) in it.
But as far as a treat goes, this recipe uses ingredients that are natural, have no additives and preservatives in them and are totally vegan and gluten-free. I always love having some healthier sweets on hand in my home!
Let’s take a closer look at what goes in these treats.
- Brown rice crisp cereal: to add a touch more fiber to this recipe
- Brown rice syrup: A sticky sweetener that binds everything together
- Coconut oil: Yes, it has fat in it. But fat is an important part of our diet and coconut oil is filled with many health benefits.
- Dark chocolate: I mean, we all know that dark chocolate is one of the ultimate health foods, right? 😉
Why you’ll love this recipe
- If you don’t want to deal with lots of ingredients, dishes and time to have a yummy snack then this recipe is for you! You only need 7 simple ingredients to make these treats!
- These treats don’t contain any marshmallows, so they’re vegetarian and vegan-friendly.
- They’re loaded with chocolate flavour and topped off with more chocolate on top. So you get tons of chocolate in every bite!
How to make Healthy Chocolate Rice Krispie Treats
Mix the brown rice syrup, coconut oil, vanilla extract and cocoa powder together in a small pot on medium heat until everything is well combined and melted. Then pour the mixture into a large bowl of the rice crisp cereal and mix together.
Press the mixture into an 8×8 pan lined with parchment paper. Melt the dark chocolate with the coconut oil in a double boiler or the microwave and pour the chocolate on top of the pan spreading evenly. Place in the fridge to set for an hour.
Remove the pan from the fridge and optionally sprinkle with some flaked sea salt. Cut into squares and enjoy!
Tips for making this recipe perfectly
- For treats that are crispy, make sure to use crisped rice and not puffed rice.
- Make sure to use parchment paper in your pan so you can easily lift out the squares when they’re done.
- When you pour the chocolate layer on top, pick up the pan and simply tilt it gently in every direction to get an even layer of chocolate on top of the bars.
- Store these bars in the fridge in an air-tight container.
Other healthy treats to try
If you tried these Healthy Chocolate Rice Krispie Treats or any other recipe on the blog let me know how you liked it by leaving a comment/rating below! Be sure to follow along on Pinterest, Instagram and Facebook for even more deliciousness!Print
These healthy bars are easy to make and loaded with chocolatey goodness!
- Mix the brown rice syrup, coconut oil, vanilla extract, cocoa powder and pinch of salt together in a small pot on medium heat until well combined.
- Pour the mixture in a large mixing bowl filled with the rice crisp cereal and mix until combined.
- Press the mixture in an 8×8 inch pan lined with parchement paper.
- Melt the dark chocolate and coconut oil in a double boiler or microwave and pour the melted chocolate into the pan. Spred it out evenly over the bars.
- Place in the fridge to set for 1 hour and then cut into bars. Store in an air-tight container in the fridge for up to a week.
Make sure to use rice crisps and not puffed rice for this recipe.
Use parchment paper in the pan so you can easily get the bars out.
When pouring the chocolate mixture on top, pick up the pan and tilt it in every direction so the chocolate spreads out nice and evenly on top.
You can optionally top these bars with a sprinkle of flaked sea salt.
- Serving Size: 1 bar
- Calories: 155
- Sugar: 13g
- Sodium: 60mg
- Fat: 8g
- Saturated Fat: 6g
- Carbohydrates: 23g
- Fiber: 2.5g
- Protein: 1.5g
Keywords: Healthy rice Krispie squares, chocolate rice Krispie treats
This post contains affiliate links which means I will make a small commission if you purchase through those links. I only recommend products that I know, trust and love!