Healthy Chocolate Scotcheroos
These Healthy Chocolate Scotcheroos are a light and crispy take on the classic dessert. Made with brown rice syrup, peanut butter and dark chocolate, they’re like peanut butter Rice Krispie treats!
I’m SO excited for today’s recipe. Because today’s recipe is for Healthy Chocolate Scotcheroos. Think healthy peanut butter rice Krispie bars that are light, crispy and seriously addictive. (like..I’m talking SERIOUSLY addictive – like these Healthy Chocolate Rice Krispie Treats!)
This scotcheroos are also vegan and gluten-free, so they make the perfect crowd-pleasing dessert!
What are scotcheroos?
Traditional scotcheroos are peanut butter rice krispie bars topped with a layer of chocolate and butterscotch chips mixed together. They’re also traditionally made with corn syrup, which is not the best for you when it comes to your health.
For this recipe, we’re swapping corn syrup for brown rice syrup, which is low glycemic, and won’t spike your blood sugar. We’re also swapping the sugary chocolate chips for a 70% dark chocolate, and traditional white rice crisps for brown rice crisps.
How to make scotcheroos
These healthy chocolate scotcheroos are a no-bake recipe, which makes them super quick and easy to make! Here’s how they come together:
- Melt the brown rice syrup, peanut butter, vanilla and salt together in a small pot or in the microwave.
- Pour the rice crisps into the wet ingredients
- Press into a pan
- Melt the dark chocolate and coconut oil then pour on top of the pan
- Let sit in the fridge for 1-2 hours to set.
That’s it! Don’t you love a good no bake recipe?
There are so many variations you can make to these healthy chocolate scotcheroos. The first swap you can make is the to make the scotcheroos without peanut butter. Some other options you can use instead:
- Any other nut butter (almond butter, cashew butter)
- Chocolate hazelnut spread
- Sunflower butter
- Soy nut butter
You can also add any mix-ins to this recipe if you like any additional flavours. I’d stick to about a maximum of 1/2 cup of mix-ins (otherwise you may need to adjust your liquid ingredients.) Here are some mix-in options that would be delicious in this recipe:
- Shredded coconut
- Chocolate chips
- Chopped nuts
- Cacao nibs
- Chopped dates
- Crushed pretzels
More healthy dessert recipes to try
Healthy Chocolate Scotcheroos are light, crispy and require no baking. These bars are easy to make and a crowd pleaser!
- Line an 8×8 inch baking pan with parchment paper and set aside.
- In a large bowl melt the brown rice syrup, peanut butter, vanilla extract and salt together in a small pot on medium heat or in the microwave. Mix together until well combined.
- Mix the brown rice crisps into the syrup mixture until combined.
- Pour the mixture into the pan and press down
- To make the chocolate topping, melt the dark chocolate and coconut oil together in a double boiler or microwave until melted then pour and spread evenly over the bars.
- Place in the fridge for an hour to set then cut into even squares.
Substitute peanut butter with any type of nut butter, sunflower butter or soynut butter!
Keywords: chocolate scotcheroos, healthy scotcheroos
If you tried these Healthy Chocolate Scotcheroos or any other recipe on the blog let me know how you liked it by leaving a comment/rating below! Be sure to follow along on Pinterest, Instagram and Facebook for even more deliciousness!