A healthy simple vegan banana bread that is delicious and can also be made into muffins! Recipe adapted from from my bowl.
- 2 tbsp ground flax seeds mixed in 6 tbsp water
- 3 bananas, mashed
- 1/3 cup avocado oil (or vegetable oil)
- 2 tsp apple cider vinegar (can sub white vinegar)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups whole-grain spelt flour (sub-gluten-free flour if needed or whole wheat flour)
- 1 cup oats
- 1/2 cup coconut sugar
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- (optional) one yellow banana sliced in half to top
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and spray an 8×4 inch loaf pan with cooking spray
- Make the flax egg: Mix the flax seeds and water together in a small bowl. Set aside to let gel for 5 minutes
- Mix the wet ingredients together: mix the mashed bananas, avocado oil, apple cider vinegar, vanilla extract and the flax eggs together in a bowl
- Mix the dry ingredients together: Mix the spelt flour, oats, coconut sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg together in a separate bowl
- Mix everything together: Pour dry ingredients into the wet ingredients and mix just until combined. Don’t overmix!
- Bake: Pour your batter into your loaf pan and bake for 50-55 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean
If you’d like to top this banana bread with a banana, use a medium yellow (not overripe) banana and slice it in half down the middle. Place the banana slices with the cut side facing up on top of your banana bread.
Vinegar is essential to making this banana bread light and fluffy so don’t leave it out! It won’t make the banana bread taste like vinegar, I promise.
Don’t overmix the batter. Mix just until combined for a fluffy banana bread.
Depending on your oven, your banana bread may need slightly more or less time. To test if it’s done, insert of a toothpick into the banana bread and pull it out. If it comes out with batter on it, then the bread needs more time. If it comes out clean, the bread is ready.
- Serving Size: 1 slice
- Calories: 187
- Sugar: 12g
- Sodium: 120g
- Fat: 2.2g
- Carbohydrates: 37g
- Fiber: 3g
- Protein: 3.8g
Keywords: vegan banana bread, oatmeal banana bread, healthy banana bread