This dark chocolate chip & rye banana bread is a healthy banana bread recipe filled with whole grains and is free from refined sugars. It features rye flour as the star ingredient and is studded with dark chocolate chips!
Today I wanted to share this special banana bread recipe with you featuring a key ingredient that I’ve been totally obsessed with lately. Rye flour!
If you’ve never baked with rye before, then I suggest you try it! Rye is actually one of the healithest grains you can get your hands on. I’ve always loved enjoying rye bread, rye crackers and sprouted whole rye, but this dark chocolate chip & rye banana bread is something a little more decadent.
This bread was actually inspired by a cookie I had in LA believe it or not! A dark chocolate and sea salt rye cookie from the restaurant Squrl in LA. (If you happen to live or be heading to LA I definitely recommend trying this spot out for brunch!) This cookie was warm and gooey, loaded with chunks of dark chocolate and topped off with some sea salt. Being made with some rye flour, it also had a unique and delicious flavour to it.
So when I found rye flour at the bulk store, I was SO excited to get my hands on some and to start baking up some goodies with it!
A few notes on this recipe:
What I love about this recipe is how versatile it is! You can use whatever type of milk you want, (I use non-dairy almond milk) whatever type of sweetener you want, (coconut sugar is my preference) and whatever type of mix-ins you want! You can also alter the type of flour used if you prefer. This banana bread calls for 3/4 cup of rye flour, and 1 cup of white spelt flour, but you can use regular flour, whole wheat flour, or a gluten-free flour blend instead. (*Rye flour is not gluten-free)
You can make this dark chocolate chip & rye banana bread in a mixer, or you can simply just use a large bowl to mix all the ingredients together. You can also make these in a mini loaf pan or a muffin pan if you prefer that to a large loaf pan!
I use 70% dark chocolate chips for this recipe but you can use any type of chocolate chips you have on hand, or leave them out and add in any of your favourite nuts, seeds or dried fruits.
This dark chocolate chip & rye banana bread is:
- refined sugar-free
- loaded with chunks of dark chocolate!
Make sure to cover this banana bread and store it in a Tupperware so it doesn’t dry out! Recipe adapted from healthy banana bread by Cookie and Kate.Print
A healthy whole-grain banana bread loaded with dark chocolate chips!
- 1/3 cup avocado oil (or refined coconut oil)
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- 1/3 cup coconut sugar
- 2 eggs
- 3 medium-sized ripe bananas, mashed (or 2 large)
- 1/4 cup almond milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 cup white Spelt flour (can sub regular flour or whole wheat flour)
- 3/4 cup rye flour
- 2 handfuls dark chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F.
- Whisk the avocado oil, maple syrup and coconut sugar together in a bowl until well combined.
- Next add the eggs, mashed bananas, almond milk and vanilla extract. Whisk until combined.
- In a separate bowl mix together the baking soda, salt, spelt flour and rye flour.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry and mix together using a wooden spoon just until combined. Don’t overmix. Fold in the chocolate chips, reserving a few to sprinkle on top if desired.
- Grease a 9 x 5-inch loaf pan and pour the mixture into your loaf pan and bake for 50-55 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Let cool in the pan for an hour before removing.
My bread took exactly 50 minutes, but depending on your oven this may vary by a few minutes.
Keywords: Healthy banana bread recipe
This post contains affiliate links which means I will make a small commission if you purchase through those links. I only recommend products that I know, trust and love!