Spaghetti with homemade tomato sauce
This spaghetti with homemade tomato sauce is made with fresh market tomatoes for the best ever pasta sauce! You’ll love how simple this sauce is to make, all you need is 5 ingredients!
Since we’re just getting into August, we’re also just getting into tomato season. This is the time of year when you head off to the market and find giant barrels of locally grown tomatoes!
Although I don’t particularly like raw tomatoes, (I know, you might think it’s crazy!) I absolutely loveeeee tomatoes cooked up into sauces, sun-dried tomatoes, oven roasted tomatoes, tomato ketchup…basically any type of tomato that isn’t raw!
One of my favourite things to do with summer tomatoes is to cook them up into a big batch of fresh homemade tomato sauce. I usually like to make a couple of jars and keep them stored to use for pasta sauce, pizza sauce, or anything you can imagine really! (I’m going to use some as the base for my lentil bolognese recipe!) I’m also thinking of using the sauce to make an eggplant parm, or maybe even in a chilli, YUM.
A few notes on this recipe:
If you can get your hands on them, I’d recommend using San Marzano tomatoes. You’ll recognize them by their unique oval look. In my opinion, these are the absolute BEST type of tomatoes to use for a homemade tomato sauce! But that being said, you can definitely use any type of tomato you like or can find.
If you’re reading this and don’t have fresh tomatoes readily available, you can usually find San Marzano tomatoes in a can, that will also work well in this recipe. Simply skip the first steps of preparing the tomatoes and just add the canned tomatoes to the pan instead.
I use gluten-free brown rice pasta for this spaghetti with homemade tomato sauce, but you can use any type of pasta you like, or even some spiralized zucchini or spaghetti squash.
Top it off with some fresh basil leaves and chilli flakes and you have yourself the perfect fresh and delicious pasta dish!
This spaghetti with homemade tomato sauce is:
- Gluten-free (just make sure to use gluten-free pasta!)
- Fresh & natural
If you’d like to can some extra sauce, double (or triple!) this recipe and prepare a few mason jars for canning. This tomato sauce also freezes well. I like to pour some sauce into a silicon ice cube tray to make some frozen tomato sauce cubes that I can have on hand for pasta and pizzas!Print
All you need is 5 ingredients to make the BEST homemade tomato sauce for your pasta!
- 24 San Marzano tomatoes
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 8 garlic cloves, skins removed and cut in half
- salt & pepper to taste
- 1 pack of gluten-free spaghetti, or pasta of choice
- chilli flakes & fresh basil to garnish
- Use a knife to cut a 1-inch X on the bottom of the tomatoes then place the tomatoes in batches in a large pot of boiling water for 60 seconds. (You don’t want to overfill the pot! I place about 8 at a time.)
- Remove the tomatoes from the boiling water and transfer to a bowl of cold ice water for 60 seconds.
- Peel away the skin starting from your X on the tomatoes.
- Cut the top stem off the tomatoes and cut into small cubes. Set aside.
- Add the olive oil to a large pot on medium-low heat. Add the garlic cloves and let brown for 2 minutes on each side.
- Add the tomatoes to the pot and bring to a boil for 5 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Reduce heat to low and let simmer for 1-2 hours with the lid off.
- If you like a smooth sauce, transfer to a blender and blend until it is the consistency you like.
- Boil pasta according to package directions and serve with the homemade tomato sauce.
The first steps in this recipe are called “blanching” the tomatoes. This guide is helpful if you are not sure how to do it!
This sauce gets better with time! Store a jar in your fridge overnight and the flavours will be even stronger!
- Serving Size: 1 serving
- Calories: 190
- Sugar: 13g
- Fat: 8g
- Saturated Fat: 1g
- Carbohydrates: 27g
- Fiber: 7g
- Protein: 6g
Keywords: how to make tomato sauce from scratch, tomato sauce with fresh tomatoes, gluten free spaghetti