All you need is 5 ingredients to make the BEST homemade tomato sauce for your pasta!
- 24 San Marzano tomatoes
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 8 garlic cloves, skins removed and cut in half
- salt & pepper to taste
- 1 pack of gluten-free spaghetti, or pasta of choice
- chilli flakes & fresh basil to garnish
- Use a knife to cut a 1-inch X on the bottom of the tomatoes then place the tomatoes in batches in a large pot of boiling water for 60 seconds. (You don’t want to overfill the pot! I place about 8 at a time.)
- Remove the tomatoes from the boiling water and transfer to a bowl of cold ice water for 60 seconds.
- Peel away the skin starting from your X on the tomatoes.
- Cut the top stem off the tomatoes and cut into small cubes. Set aside.
- Add the olive oil to a large pot on medium-low heat. Add the garlic cloves and let brown for 2 minutes on each side.
- Add the tomatoes to the pot and bring to a boil for 5 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Reduce heat to low and let simmer for 1-2 hours with the lid off.
- If you like a smooth sauce, transfer to a blender and blend until it is the consistency you like.
- Boil pasta according to package directions and serve with the homemade tomato sauce.
The first steps in this recipe are called “blanching” the tomatoes. This guide is helpful if you are not sure how to do it!
This sauce gets better with time! Store a jar in your fridge overnight and the flavours will be even stronger!
- Serving Size: 1 serving
- Calories: 190
- Sugar: 13g
- Fat: 8g
- Saturated Fat: 1g
- Carbohydrates: 27g
- Fiber: 7g
- Protein: 6g
Keywords: how to make tomato sauce from scratch, tomato sauce with fresh tomatoes, gluten free spaghetti