Vegan triple chocolate cupcakes
These Vegan Triple Chocolate Cupcakes are a chocolate lover’s dream come true! They start with a chocolate base, and get topped off with a chocolate buttercream, and chocolate chips!
The best vegan cupcakes
In the spirit of chocolate, I bring you these vegan triple chocolate cupcakes. Light and fluffy chocolate cupcakes topped with vegan chocolate buttercream, chocolate sprinkles and chocolate chips. Because when it’s a holiday to celebrate chocolate I don’t kid around.
And seriously guys, these vegan cupcakes are the best!
The base for these cupcakes is similar to my red velvet cupcakes (also a great v-day option!) but these ones have more cocoa powder, and the addition of instant espresso (which brings out even MORE rich chocolatey flavour!)
Why you’ll love this recipe
- These vegan cupcakes are healthier than a traditional cupcake, made with Spelt flour and organic cane sugar.
- They’re made with coconut oil and have no eggs in them, but are still super light and fluffy!
- They’ll last 3-4 days after baking them, though you’ll probably finish them within a day 😉
- You don’t need a stand mixer to make these cupcakes. You can make them directly in a bowl.
How to make vegan chocolate cupcakes
- Mix the dry ingredients together in a bowl.
- Mix the wet ingredients together in a bowl.
- Mix the wet and dry ingredients together until smooth. The batter will be a bit liquidy.
- Divide into a cupcake pan with liners and fill 3/4 of the way full.
- Bake at 350 degrees F for 17-19 minutes.
- To make the frosting, we mix together some icing sugar with vegan butter and more cocoa powder. (This part you’ll need a stand mixer for or hand beater.)
Tips for making this recipe perfectly
- Use high-quality cocoa powder for super delicious cupcakes.
- Don’t skip out on the espresso and vanilla! These will enhance the flavour of the chocolate.
- The batter will be quite liquidy. Don’t worry! The batter will set and turn into light and fluffy cupcakes in the oven.
- Don’t overfill your cupcake mould. 3/4 of the way full is fine, otherwise you’re cupcakes may overflow.
- You can also try topping these cupcakes with whipped coconut cream (recipe here) for a healthier alternative.
- If you’d like to make these cupcakes gluten-free, substitute with a cup of 1-1 gluten-free flour blend. If you are using a different type of gluten-free flour blend, make sure to add in some xanthan gum so the cupcakes come out with a light and fluffy texture.
More vegan desserts to tryPrint
A delicious vegan cupcake recipe that features chocolate cupcake, chocolate frosting, and chocolate toppings!
- 3/4 cup almond milk
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 1/3 cup coconut oil, melted
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup spelt flour (can sub regular flour)
- 2 tsp instant espresso (can sub 2 tbsp brewed espresso)
- 3/4 cup organic cane sugar
- 5 tbsp cocoa powder
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 3/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 cup vegan butter
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 4 cups powdered sugar
- 1/4 cup almond milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- pinch of salt
- Chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F and line a cupcake pan with cupcake liners
- Mix the almond milk and apple cider vinegar and set aside for 5 minutes to turn to “buttermilk.”
- Next, add the coconut oil and vanilla extract.
- Mix all the dry ingredients together in a bowl.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and mix together until smooth.
- Spoon the batter into your pan, filling 3/4 of the way full.
- Bake for 17-19 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean
- To make the frosting, cream together the butter and cocoa powder until combined. Add the icing sugar 1 cup at a time until incorporated. Then add the vanilla and salt and beat on high until light and fluffy.
- Use a piping bag to pipe icing onto the cupcakes.
- Top with sprinkles and chocolate chips
Use high-quality cocoa powder for best results.
Don’t skip out on the espresso and vanilla! These will enhance the flavour of the chocolate.
The batter will be quite liquidy. Don’t worry, the batter will set and turn into light and fluffy cupcakes in the oven.
Don’t overfill your cupcake mould. Only fill 3/4 of the way otherwise the cupcakes can overflow.
You can also try topping these cupcakes with whipped coconut cream (recipe here) for a healthier alternative.
If you’d like to make these cupcakes gluten-free, substitute with a cup of 1-1 gluten-free flour blend. If you are using a different type of gluten-free flour blend, make sure to add in some xanthan gum so the cupcakes come out with a light and fluffy texture.
- Serving Size: 1 cupcake
- Calories: 350
- Sugar: 35g
- Fat: 18g
- Saturated Fat: 13g
- Carbohydrates: 55g
- Fiber: 3g
- Protein: 3g
Keywords: how to make chocolate cupcakes, vegan cupcake recipe
If you tried these Vegan Triple Chocolate Cupcakes or any other recipe on the blog let me know how you liked it by leaving a comment/rating below! Be sure to follow along on Pinterest, Instagram and Facebook for even more deliciousness!