These vegan triple chocolate cupcakes are a chocolate lover’s dream come true! They start with a chocolate base, and get topped off with a chocolate buttercream, and chocolate chips!
I couldn’t let Valentine’s day pass by without sharing a decent chocolate dessert.
Because let’s be honest, Valentine’s day is really just an excuse to eat a whole lot of chocolate.
So in the spirit of chocolate I bring you these vegan triple chocolate cupcakes. Light and fluffy chocolate cupcakes topped with a vegan chocolate buttercream, chocolate sprinkles and chocolate chips. Because when it’s a holiday to celebrate chocolate I don’t kid around.
The base for these cupcakes is similar to my red velvet cupcakes (also a great v-day option!) but these ones have more cocoa powder, and the addition of instant espresso (which brings out even MORE rich chocolatey flavour!)
How to make chocolate cupcakes:
Chocolate cupcakes are all about adding plenty of cocoa powder to the cupcake recipe. Adding ingredients like espresso, salt and vanilla extract are also helpful for enhancing the flavour of the cocoa.
This chocolate cupcake base requires no mixer, and can be made by adding all the ingredients together in a bowl. The batter is quite liquidy, which is what makes the cupcakes nice and moist when they come out of the oven.
To make the frosting, we mix together some icing sugar with vegan butter and more cocoa powder. I use a stand mixer for this part which is recommended.
A few notes of the recipe:
These vegan triple chocolate cupcakes are simple and easy to make. The cupcake is great on it’s own if you want to skip out on the chocolate buttercream to keep these a bit lighter.
You can also alternatively top these cupcakes with whipped coconut cream (recipe here) for a healthier alternative.
If you’d like to make these cupcakes gluten-free, substitute with a cup of 1-1 gluten-free flour blend. If you are using a different type of gluten-free flour blend, make sure to add in some xantham gum so the cupcakes come out with a light and fluffy texture.
Enjoy loves! xoPrint
A delicious vegan cupcake recipe that features chocolate cupcake, chocolate frosting, and chocolate toppings!
- 3/4 cup almond milk
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 1/3 cup coconut oil, melted
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup spelt flour
- 2 tsp instant espresso (can sub 2 tbsp brewed espresso)
- 3/4 cup organic cane sugar
- 5 tbsp cocoa powder
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 3/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 cup vegan butter
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 4 cups powdered sugar
- 1/4 cup almond milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- pinch of salt
- Chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F and line a cupcake pan with cupcake liners
- Mix the almond milk and apple cider vinegar and set aside for 5 minutes to turn to “buttermilk.”
- Next, add the coconut oil and vanilla extract.
- Mix all the dry ingredients together in a bowl.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and mix together until smooth.
- Spoon the batter into your pan, filling 3/4 of the way full.
- Bake for 17-19 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean
- To make the frosting, cream together the butter and cocoa powder until combined. Add the icing sugar 1 cup at a time until incorporated. Then add the vanilla and salt and beat on high until light and fluffy.
- Use a piping bag to pipe icing onto the cupcakes.
- Top with sprinkles and chocolate chips
Keywords: how to make chocolate cupcakes, vegan cupcake recipe