Tofu Satay With Peanut Sauce
This Tofu Satay with Peanut Sauce is marinated and grilled and perfect to serve as an appetizer or main. This recipe is vegan, high in protein and can be easily made gluten-free.
Why you’ll love this recipe
Some people think tofu is bland. This tofu is anything but that! The trick to flavourful tofu is knowing how to cook it and prepare it properly. Marinading tofu is great technique to use for flavourful tofu, which is exactly what we’re going to do for this recipe.
This Tofu Satay recipe is:
- Easy to make and is ready in just 30 minutes (plus marinating time.)
- Great to enjoy as an appetizer or can be served as a main with a variety of different sides
- Healthy, vegan, gluten-free and refined sugar-free
How to make Tofu Satay
Start by cutting the tofu into large cubes. You want to make sure the cubes are big enough so they’ll slide onto the skewers.
Next mix up the marinade and toss the tofu with it. You want to let the tofu marinade for at least an hour, but ideally if you have the time to let it marinade overnight that’s best!
Once the tofu is done marinating, slide the tofu cubes onto skewers.
Next grill the tofu on the barbecue, or bake the tofu in the oven. I personally recommend grilling for this recipe!
Prep the peanut sauce and serve everything immediately.
Make sure to use firm or extra-firm tofu for this recipe. If you try to use soft or medium tofu it will fall about when you try and put the tofu onto the skewers. You also want to squeeze as much water as possible out of the tofu before marinating. If you’re not sure of the best way to do this make sure to check out my guide here.
Have extra time? Freeze your tofu a day ahead of time, then let it defrost, squeeze out the water, and proceed with the recipe. Tofu that has been frozen like this will have a spongier texture and absorb more marinade. It’s an extra step but it’s delicious!
What to eat with this recipe
Tips for making this recipe perfectly
- Don’t cut the tofu too small. Make sure the cubes are large enough to easily slip onto the skewers.
- If using wooden skewers, don’t forget to soak them in water overnight. Otherwise, they’ll burn when you put them on the grill.
- If your peanut sauce is too thick, simply add a couple of tablespoons of hot water to it and mix.
More tofu recipes to try
If you tried this Tofu Satay With Peanut Sauce or any other recipe on the blog let me know how you liked it by leaving a comment/rating below! Be sure to follow along on Pinterest, Instagram and Facebook for even more deliciousness!Print
This Tofu Satay with Peanut Sauce will make you fall in love with tofu! It’s packed with flavour, healthy and easy to make!
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 tbsp soy sauce (use tamari for gluten-free)
- 1 tbsp coconut sugar (can sub brown sugar)
- 2 tbsp lemongrass, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 2 tsp freshly grated ginger
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 1/4 tsp coriander powder
- 1 block extra-firm tofu
- 6–8 skewers
- Drain the tofu and pat dry with paper towels. Cut into large cubes.
- Mix all the marinade ingredients in a large bowl, then add the tofu and toss together. Let sit and marinate in a bowl or ziplock bag (this is what I like to use) for 2-24 hours.
- Grease your grill or barbeque and heat to 400 degrees. Grill the skewers for 3-4 minutes on each side.
- Mix all the sauce ingredients together in a bowl until incorporated.
- Serve immediately.
Want to bake the tofu instead of grilling it? Bake in the oven on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper at 425 degrees F for 20-25 minutes, flipping halfway through.
Don’t cut the tofu too small. Make sure the cubes are large enough to easily slip onto the skewers.
If using wooden skewers, don’t forget to soak them in water overnight. Otherwise, they’ll burn when you put them on the grill.
If your peanut sauce is too thick, simply add a couple of tablespoons of hot water to it and mix.
- Serving Size: 1/4 of the recipe
- Calories: 160
- Sugar: 5g
- Fat: 12g
- Carbohydrates: 8g
- Fiber: 2g
- Protein: 6g
Keywords: tofu satay, peanut butter tofu, grilled tofu, tofu skewers