A Thai green mango salad that is healthy, delicious, and bursting with flavor!
Mango is one of my favorite fruits in the world! Its so delicious and packed with vitamins and nutrients. When most people think of mangoes they think of sweet smoothies or desserts, but trust me, mango can also be used in savory dishes too!
I fell in love with this Thai green mango salad this spring, on my second trip to Thailand. It’s one of my favorite places in the world! It’s such a beautiful culture, with stunning islands, friendly people, and sunny weather. And the food…don’t even get me started. I have developed quite the passion for Thai food. I even partook in cooking classes up in the north in Chiang Mai, where I picked up this recipe.
Thai food focuses of using very vibrant, fresh flavors. Most Thai dishes include the “5 flavors of thai:” sweet, sour, spicy, salty, and bitter. Thai food is a wonderful cuisine if you are focused on eating clean and fresh food!
This Thai green mango salad uses green mangoes, which are available in most Asian markets, as well as some generic grocery stores. You can recognize them by their green colored skin, and they should be hard to the touch. Green mangoes are basically mangoes that are not ripe yet. If you cannot find these particular mangoes, you can always buy unripened mangoes from your local grocery store.
- 2 green mangoes
- 1/2 large red onion
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro leaves, chopped
- 1/2 cup Thai basil leaves, chopped
- 1/4 cup roasted peanuts
- 1/4 cup fresh lime juice
- 1 1/2 tbsp fish sauce
- 1 tbsp avocado or sunflower oil
- 1 tbsp honey
- 1-2 Thai red chillies (or more if you dare…)
- Shred your mangoes with either a shredding peeler, or a grater. (You can also finely julienne the mango)
- Chop the onions into this strips.
- Mix the mango, red onion, cilantro leaves, Thai basil leaves, and peanuts together in a bowl. Set aside.
- For the dressing, finely chop your Thai chillies and add to a cup. Add the lime juice, fish sauce, avocado oil, and honey, and mix together.
- Mix the dressing into the mango salad.
- Garnish with Thai basil leaves and lime.