Thai Mango Salad
This Thai Mango Salad is made with less than 10 simple ingredients and comes together in less than 30 minutes for a refreshing vibrant salad!
Why you’ll love this recipe
- It uses traditional Thai ingredients for a delicious restaurant-style salad you can make right at home.
- It’s light and fresh, which makes it perfect to go alongside your favourite Thai main dishes.
- All the ingredients for this recipe can be easily found at your local grocery store. (or you may even have most of them in your fridge already!)
A Thai-style mango salad
Mango salad is a traditional dish from Thailand that is often served up as an appetizer or alongside other Thai noodle and curry dishes. It’s similar to a Thai papaya salad but uses mango instead of papaya and a few other ingredients to make it unique.
The traditional recipe uses fish sauce, but today we’re using soy sauce to make this recipe vegetarian-friendly. This salad is also traditionally served very spicy. If you love spice you can add some chillies to it!
How to make a mango salad
- Use a Thai peeler to peel the mangos, or cut them into matchsticks.
- Thinly cut the peppers and onions & chop up some herbs.
- Mix the dressing ingredients together in a small bowl.
- All all the salad ingredients to a large bowl and mix together with the dressing and some peanuts.
Recipe tips and variations
- Traditionally this recipe is made with green mangos, (unripened mangos) which have a tangy flavour. You can use either green mangos or ripe mangos to make this recipe.
- If you want to make this recipe spicy, add 1 Thai chilli finely chopped to the salad.
- If preparing this recipe ahead of time, don’t dress it until you are ready to serve it.
- You can substitute peanuts in this recipe with roasted cashews.
Thai Mango Salad Recipe FAQ
The best way to cut mango for mango salad is to use a Thai vegetable peeler or just cut the mango into thin strips.
Yes. green mango is unripe mango that is still green in colour on the outside. It tends to be more firm, less sweet and more tart than ripe mango.
Green mangos are rich in vitamins like vitamin c and can be used to help with stomach digestion.
This Thai mango salad is tangy, delicious and so quick to make!
- 2 mangoes
- 1/2 large red onion, finely sliced
- 1/2 red pepper, finely sliced
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro leaves, chopped
- 1/2 cup Thai basil leaves, chopped
- 1/4 cup roasted peanuts
- 3 tbsp fresh lime juice
- 1 1/2 tbsp light soy sauce
- 1 tbsp avocado oil (or any neutral tasting oil)
- 1 tbsp honey (can sub agave for vegan)
- 1/2 red Thai chilli (or more for extra spicy!)
- Shred your mangoes with either a Thai vegetable peeler or just finely chop the mango into slices.
- Mix the mango, onion, red pepper, herbs, and peanuts together in a bowl. Set aside.
- For the dressing, finely chop your Thai chilli and add to a cup. Add the lime juice, soy sauce, avocado oil, and honey, and mix together.
- Mix the dressing into the mango salad.
- Garnish with more peanuts and herbs.
You can use either unripened mangos or ripe mangos in this recipe, both are delicious. If you like spicy food, add more Thai chilli to the dressing If you’re preparing this salad ahead of time, don’t dress the salad until you are ready to serve it. You can substitute peanuts with cashews on top.
- Serving Size: 1/4 of recipe
- Calories: 180
- Sugar: 25g
- Sodium: 230mg
- Fat: 5g
- Carbohydrates: 34g
- Fiber: 4g
- Protein: 4.5g
Keywords: Mango salad, Thai mango salad, green mango salad
If you tried this Thai Mango Salad or any other recipe on the blog let me know how you liked it by leaving a comment/rating below! Be sure to follow along on Pinterest, Instagram and Facebook for even more deliciousness!