This Healthy Hummus recipe is smooth and creamy, and made with simple & healthy ingredients! It tastes just like the authentic hummus you’d get in a restaurant.
A great healthy hummus recipe
Hummus has become one of those things that I ALWAYS have to have on hand in my kitchen. Seriously, if there’s no hummus in the fridge, then something just doesn’t feel quite right.
I should probably warn you before making this recipe that this hummus will forever change your perspective on store-bought hummus. I’m serious here people, once you go homemade…it’s hard to go back.
A few notes on this recipe
Since this hummus is made fresh with all natural ingredients, it won’t stay as long as store-bought hummus, which has never been a problem in my home since it usually gets eaten up within a day or two.
This hummus recipe is easy to make, naturally vegan and can be made in a Vitamix or food processor.
How to make hummus healthy
First off, you can use either dry or canned chickpeas. For this recipe to speed things up, we’re using canned chickpeas. If using dry chickpeas, soak them overnight and then cook them in a pot of boiling water until soft.
Chickpeas naturally have a little peel on them that will come right off when you gently squeeze them with your fingers, or when you roll them gently in a clean kitchen towel. Don’t skip this step! This is going to give the hummus that smooth and creamy texture.
Next, we’re going to cook the chickpeas in a pot of boiling water on medium-high heat for about 10 minutes, until they’re extra soft. This is step two in achieving creamy dreamy hummus.
You can use either a high-speed blender (like a Vitamix) or a food processor to whip up your hummus. Make sure to blend and mix for a good 4-5 minutes to make sure everything is well incorporated.
I like to make homemade pita chips to serve with the best healthy hummus. To do this I just cut up some pita into triangles, brush them with olive oil, sprinkle them with za’atar spice, and toast them up until they’re nice and crispy!
Here are some great options of how you can serve this hummus:
- With a side of your favourite crackers
- As a spread on a sandwich
- On a salad
- With cut-up veggies
- On a spoon
More hummus recipes to try
If you tried this Healthy Hummus or any other recipe on the blog let me know how you liked it by leaving a comment/rating below! Be sure to follow along on Pinterest, Instagram and Facebook for even more deliciousness!Print
This is the BEST healthy hummus recipe! Find out the secret to making smooth creamy and fluffy hummus!
- Drain and rinse the can of chickpeas, and remove the skins by rolling the chickpeas in a clean kitchen towel. The skins will naturally come off.
- Discard the skins and place the chickpeas in a pot of boiling water with 1/2 tsp baking soda.
- Cook for 8-12 minutes on medium-high heat until the chickpeas are soft. Remove from heat and drain.
- Add the chickpeas, tahini, garlic, salt, cumin, olive oil and lemon juice to a food processor or high-speed blender. blend until everything is smooth, scraping down the edges as needed.
- Begin to add the cold water, adding 1/4 cup at a time and blending to incorporate, for about 5 minutes.
- Taste and adjust seasoning if needed (salt, cumin, lemon juice)
- Serve topped with olive oil, za’atar spice, paprika, or parsley.
I use about 1/2 tsp of salt, but depending on the chickpeas you use, you may want to add a bit more salt or seasoning. Taste and adjust accordingly.
This hummus will store well for up to a week in the fridge
- Serving Size: 2 tbsp
- Calories: 110
- Sugar: 2g
- Fat: 6g
- Saturated Fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 14g
- Fiber: 2g
- Protein: 5g
Keywords: healthy hummus, easy hummus recipe, creamy hummus recipe
This post contains affiliate links which means I will make a small commission if you purchase through those links. I only recommend products that I know, trust and love!