This Turmeric Rice Recipe comes together in under 30 minutes and healthy and delicious! Enjoy it on its own, as a side, or a base for your favourite bowl!
Easy yellow rice
Besides looking pretty, yellow turmeric rice is simply delicious! It can be enjoyed in so many different ways. Serve it up with your favourite Indian curry like a Tikka Masala, as the base of a burrito bowl, or as a side dish.
I use Jasmine rice in this recipe which is my personal favourite, but you can use basmati rice, or any type of rice you love.
Is Turmeric Rice good for you?
Turmeric is naturally high in antioxidants and is anti-inflammatory. Turmeric has also been shown to help with digestion and improve your skin health.
That being said, turmeric rice has a relatively small amount of turmeric in it (1/2 tsp for 4 servings) so it likely wouldn’t have that many more health benefits than regular rice.
How much turmeric to use
- If using turmeric powder use 1/2 tsp turmeric to 1 cup of rice
- If using fresh turmeric, use a 1 tsp grated turmeric to 1 cup of rice
I would NOT recommend using more than 1/2 tsp powdered turmeric to 1 cup of rice, otherwise, you’ll likely find the flavour of the turmeric overpowering. You also don’t need that much turmeric to turn the rice yellow.
You can also use powdered or fresh turmeric in this recipe, both will work.
How to make this recipe
Sautee the shallots and garlic in a pot on medium high heat, then add in the rice, turmeric, pepper and bay leaf.
Next pour in the veggie stock and bring the rice to a boil, then cover and let simmer for 20 minutes. Remove the lid and fluff the rice with a fork.
Coconut turmeric rice:
- Substitute 1 cup of veggie stock with 1 cup of coconut milk. Proceed with the recipe
Cauliflower turmeric rice:
- Instead of rice, you can use cauliflower rice in this recipe. Pulse the cauliflower in a food processor then add it to a large pan with the shallots, garlic, turmeric. Sautee in the pan until the cauliflower is cooked through. Season with salt and pepper.
Turmeric rice with brown rice:
- If using brown rice, you may need to adjust the amount of liquid used and the cooking time for the rice. (Brown rice tends to cook slower than white rice.) Be sure to check your package of rice for the cooking time and ratio of rice to liquid.
Tips for making this recipe perfectly
- Do not add too much Turmeric! It can have quite a strong taste if there is too much. Measure out 1/2 tsp for 1 cup of rice.
- If you are using a different type of rice than used in the recipe, be sure to consult the packaging of rice to check the cooking time. Different types of rice can have slightly different cooking times.
- If using a low sodium vegetable stock, you may want to add in some salt to season the rice. You can add 1/4 tsp to the liquid, or just season it at the end.
- Store this rice in an air-tight container in the fridge for up to a week. Reheat in a pan on the stove or in the microwave.
Serve this rice with
- Vegetable Korma
- Sweet And Sour Tofu
- Thai Green Curry
- Instant Pot Chili
- Kung Pao Cauliflower
- Red Lentil Curry
- Chickpea Pumpkin Curry
If you tried this Turmeric Rice or any other recipe on the blog let me know how you liked it by leaving a comment/rating below! Be sure to follow along on Pinterest, Instagram and Facebook for even more deliciousness!Print
This Turmeric Rice is SO tasty and great served as a side or a base for any dish you love!
- 1 tbsp avocado oil (or vegetable oil)
- 2 shallots, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 cup jasmine rice
- 1/2 tsp turmeric
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 cups vegetable stock
- Heat the avocado oil in a pot on medium-high heat, then add the shallots and garlic and saute for 2 minutes.
- Next add the rice, turmeric, pepper and bay leaf and mix together.
- Pour in the broth and bring everything to a boil, then reduce and let simmer for 20 minutes. Remove the lid and fluff up the rice.
- Serve with whatever you like!
Do not add too much Turmeric! It can have quite a strong taste if there is too much. Measure out 1/2 tsp for 1 cup of rice.
If you are using a different type of rice than used in the recipe, be sure to consult the packaging of rice to check the cooking time. Different types of rice can have slightly different cooking times.
If using a low sodium vegetable stock, you may want to add in some salt to season the rice. You can add 1/4 tsp to the liquid, or just season it at the end.
Store this rice in an air-tight container in the fridge for up to a week. Reheat in a pan on the stove or in the microwave.
- Serving Size: 1/4 of recipe
- Calories: 200
- Fat: 3.5g
- Carbohydrates: 38g
- Fiber: 2g
- Protein: 3.5g
Keywords: yellow rice, turmeric rice, rice with turmeric