Turmeric Rice Recipe
This Turmeric Rice Recipe comes together in under 30 minutes and healthy and delicious! Enjoy it on its own, as a side, or a base for your favourite bowl!
Easy Yellow Turmeric Rice Recipe
Besides looking pretty, yellow turmeric rice is simply delicious! It can be enjoyed in so many different ways. Serve it up with your favourite Indian curry like a Tikka Masala, as the base of a burrito bowl, or as a side dish.
I use Jasmine rice in this recipe which is my personal favourite, but you can use basmati rice, or any type of rice you love.
What is Turmeric?
Turmeric is a spice from a flowering plant that grows in India and South East Asia. It’s often used in Indian cooking to give foods a beautiful yellow colour. Turmeric is not only used in cooking but can be taken as a health supplement and is believed to help reduce inflammation in the body.
Is Turmeric Rice good for you?
Turmeric is naturally high in antioxidants and is anti-inflammatory. Turmeric has also been shown to help with digestion and improve your skin health.
That being said, turmeric rice has a relatively small amount of turmeric in it (1/2 tsp for 4 servings) so it likely wouldn’t have that many more health benefits than regular rice.
Turmeric Rice Benefits
Turmeric rice is a great way to get some turmeric into your diet. Turmeric rice has fibre, protein and anti-inflammatory properties due to the turmeric added.
How much turmeric in rice do I use?
- If using turmeric powder use 1/2 tsp turmeric to 1 cup of rice
- If using fresh turmeric, use a 1 tsp grated turmeric to 1 cup of rice
I would NOT recommend using more than 1/2 tsp powdered turmeric to 1 cup of rice, otherwise, you’ll likely find the flavour of the turmeric overpowering. You also don’t need that much turmeric to turn the rice yellow.
You can also use powdered or fresh turmeric in this recipe, both will work.
How to make Turmeric Rice
Sautee the shallots and garlic in a pot on medium high heat, then add in the rice, turmeric, pepper and bay leaf.
Next pour in the veggie stock and bring the rice to a boil, then cover and let simmer for 20 minutes. Remove the lid and fluff the rice with a fork.
Turmeric Rice Variations
Coconut turmeric rice:
- Substitute 1 cup of veggie stock with 1 cup of coconut milk. Proceed with the recipe
Cauliflower turmeric rice:
- Instead of rice, you can use cauliflower rice in this recipe. Pulse the cauliflower in a food processor then add it to a large pan with the shallots, garlic, turmeric. Sautee in the pan until the cauliflower is cooked through. Season with salt and pepper.
Turmeric rice with brown rice:
- If using brown rice, you may need to adjust the amount of liquid used and the cooking time for the rice. (Brown rice tends to cook slower than white rice.) Be sure to check your package of rice for the cooking time and ratio of rice to liquid.
Rice with Turmeric FAQ
One cup of cooked turmeric rice contains approximately 200 calories.
Yes. Pilau rice is bright yellow rice that is often served with curries in Indian cuisine. Pilau rice is the Indian name for turmeric rice and it’s made yellow by adding turmeric to it.
From the Turmeric! Turmeric is basically a natural dye that can be used to colour foods
Turmeric has an earthy and slightly peppery taste. Since there is not that much turmeric added to the rice it has a very mild flavour overall. Think plain rice but with a little something extra. (It’s delicious, trust me.)
Turmeric pairs well with many foods. Any Indian rice or curries goes well with turmeric. It can also be enjoyed in lattes and drinks.
Tips for making Rice with Turmeric
- Do not add too much Turmeric! It can have quite a strong taste if there is too much. Measure out 1/2 tsp for 1 cup of rice.
- If you are using a different type of rice than used in the recipe, be sure to consult the packaging of rice to check the cooking time. Different types of rice can have slightly different cooking times.
- If using a low sodium vegetable stock, you may want to add in some salt to season the rice. You can add 1/4 tsp to the liquid, or just season it at the end.
- Store this rice in an air-tight container in the fridge for up to a week. Reheat in a pan on the stove or in the microwave.
Serving Suggestions for Turmeric Rice
- Vegetable Korma
- Sweet And Sour Tofu
- Thai Green Curry
- Instant Pot Chili
- Kung Pao Cauliflower
- Red Lentil Curry
- Chickpea Pumpkin Curry
If you tried this Turmeric Rice or any other recipe on the blog let me know how you liked it by leaving a comment/rating below! Be sure to follow along on Pinterest, Instagram and Facebook for even more deliciousness!Print
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Total Time: 25 minutes
- Yield: 4 servings 1x
- Category: Side
- Method: Cook
- Cuisine: Indian
- Diet: Gluten Free
This Turmeric Rice is SO tasty and great served as a side or a base for any dish you love!
- 1 tbsp avocado oil (or vegetable oil)
- 2 shallots, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 cup jasmine rice
- 1/2 tsp turmeric
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 cups vegetable stock
- Heat the avocado oil in a pot on medium-high heat, then add the shallots and garlic and saute for 2 minutes.
- Next add the rice, turmeric, pepper and bay leaf and mix together.
- Pour in the broth and bring everything to a boil, then reduce and let simmer for 20 minutes. Remove the lid and fluff up the rice.
- Serve with whatever you like!
Do not add too much Turmeric! It can have quite a strong taste if there is too much. Measure out 1/2 tsp for 1 cup of rice.
If you are using a different type of rice than used in the recipe, be sure to consult the packaging of rice to check the cooking time. Different types of rice can have slightly different cooking times.
If using a low sodium vegetable stock, you may want to add in some salt to season the rice. You can add 1/4 tsp to the liquid, or just season it at the end.
Store this rice in an air-tight container in the fridge for up to a week. Reheat in a pan on the stove or in the microwave.
- Serving Size: 1/4 of recipe
- Calories: 200
- Fat: 3.5g
- Carbohydrates: 38g
- Fiber: 2g
- Protein: 3.5g
Keywords: yellow rice, turmeric rice, rice with turmeric
I made a double batch of this recipe for a causal get together. It was perfect exactly as the recipe was written. I cooked it ahead of time and then left in the pot to gently reheat before serving. Everyone loved it. Thank you for another outstanding recipe!!
I made this recipe with fresh turmeric (about 1 Tbsp. sauteed with the veggies) and plain water with 1/2 tsp. salt. It was so easy and delicious, with the rich flavors of rice cooked in chicken stock.