Tofu tikka masala
This Tofu Tikka Masala is a healthy vegetarian recipe that is perfect for a weeknight dinner!
Say it with me: Tofu Tikka Masala!
A necessary recipe for your weeknight dinner rotation in the winter.
This is one of those recipes that is filled with so many warming spices that it’s just bound to make you feel warm and cozy inside. I mean how can it not?
We’ve got garlic, ginger, cumin, garam masala in a creamy tomato sauce with a bit of coconut milk for some extra creamy goodness.
Why you’ll love this recipe
- This tofu tikka masala comes together in 1 hour, most of which times it’s just cooking away on the stove while you relax.
- The tofu absorbs all the flavour of the sauce so you have an extremely flavourful tofu dish.
- The sauce is amazing over some rice, quinoa or with a side of naan bread.
- This recipe freezes well so you can freeze any leftovers you have.
How to make tikka masala:
This recipe is pretty simple to make. It starts with some cooked up tofu and then our tikka masala sauce. You can (optionally) serve this with a side of basmati rice, or even some quinoa or brown rice if you like!
Let’s take a look at the process:
- Marinade the tofu
- Cook the tofu
- Prepare the sauce
- Add the tofu to the sauce
- Congrats! You’ve made tofu tikka masala
Tips for making this recipe perfectly
- Tikka masala is very much about the sauce. So you’ll want to make sure you have all the right spices on hand to make sauce bursting with flavour. (Some more traditional recipes use even more spices than we have listed below, but I prefer to keep things a bit more simple)
- Use firm or extra firm tofu for this recipe.
- If you have time, marinate the tofu the night before so it absorbs as much flavour as possible. ( if you are marinading the tofu the same day you’d like to cook it make sure you leave the tofu in the marinade for at least 1 hour.)
- Prepare the tikka masala sauce white the tofu bakes in the oven to save time.
- If you want a more “yellow” sauce like some traditional tikka masala recipes, add some more turmeric and less tomato to the recipe.
This tofu tikka masala is:
- Vegetarian & vegan-friendly
- Naturally gluten-free
- Grain-free (if you don’t eat it over rice)
- Like a hug in a bowl!
More tofu recipes to tryPrint
A cozy Indian curry made with marinated tofu in a creamy masala sauce!
- 1/2 cup non-dairy yogurt
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tbsp grated ginger
- 1 tsp salt
- juice of 1/2 lime
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp garam masala
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 block firm tofu, cut into cubes
Tikka masala sauce
- Mix all the tofu marinade ingredients together in a bowl then add the tofu and mix until coated. Cover and place in the fridge for at least 1 hour, or overnight.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees and line a baking pan with parchment paper.
- Scatter the tofu on the pan and bake for 30 minutes.
- Add the avocado oil to a large pan on medium-high heat. Add the onions, garlic and ginger and let cook on medium heat for 2-3 minutes.
- Next, add in all the spices and let cook for 1 minute until fragrant.
- Add the rest of the ingredients and mix until combined.
- Add the tofu and cover and let simmer on low heat for 15 minutes.
This tofu tikka masala is best served up with a side of rice or naan bread!
Store any leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge.
- Serving Size: 1/6 recipe
- Calories: 208
- Sugar: 8g
- Fat: 15g
- Saturated Fat: 12g
- Carbohydrates: 15g
- Fiber: 4g
- Protein: 6g
Keywords: vegetarian Indian recipes, healthy Indian recipes, vegan tikka masala
If you tried this Tofu Tikka Masala or any other recipe on the blog let me know how you liked it by leaving a comment/rating below! Be sure to follow along on Pinterest, Instagram and Facebook for even more deliciousness!