This One-Pot Vegan Peanut Stew is a hearty and filling vegan recipe that is perfect for a cozy night in!
And…welcome to 2019 my dear friends!!
Here we are with the very first post of the year and we’re kicking things off with a warm, cozy healthy stew. It’s going to be an incredible year, I can just feel it! Can you?
Since I’m sure many of us indulged over the holidays, (ahem cupcakes and donuts
So today I present to you the first recipe of the year! One-Pot Vegan Peanut Stew. A healthy and filling recipe that’s filled with veggies, lentils and (of course) peanut butter.
Why you’ll love this recipe
- This recipe is like a hug in a bowl. It’s filled with starchy vegetables, peanut butter and spices that will leave you feeling full and cozy!
- This stew takes a little different and more unique than some traditional stews you may have eaten.
- This recipe is naturally vegan and gluten-free and can be made ahead of time.
- This dish freezes well!
What is Peanut Stew?
This One-Pot Vegan Peanut Stew is a vegetarian, (and vegan) comfort dish that is far from your traditional broth-based soup.
The combination of ginger, garlic and spices such as cumin will keep your taste buds begging for more. Sweet potatoes and lentils will pump you full of fiber and protein and will keep you satisfied for hours! Not only is this stew delicious and hearty, but it is also super healthy, so where can you go wrong?!
This wholesome stew can easily be made in an Instant pot or a slow cooker. Though for the recipe below, I decided to just make this simply in a regular pot on the stove.
Tips for making this recipe perfectly
- This One-Pot Vegan Peanut Stew can be made in a regular pot, instant pot, or slow cooker. The recipe card below shares how to make this in a regular pot, though if you want to make this in a slow cooker or instant pot, add all of the ingredients except for the kale and cook on low for 6-8 hours. Then add the shredded kale 15 minutes before serving.
- Give the onions, ginger and garlic time to brown in the pot to really build up the flavour.
- I like to use sweet potatoes, turnips, green lentils and kale as the vegetables for this stew, though they can totally be mixed up to your liking! Regular potatoes, carrots, chickpeas…whatever you like!
- Use chunky peanut butter for this recipe. I just LOVE those little chunky bits of peanuts. They really give this stew a great texture!
- Serve this stew on its own or over some steamed white rice. It’s also great topped off with some cilantro and crushed peanuts.
Other cozy recipes to try
If you tried this One-Pot Vegan Peanut Stew or any other recipe on the blog let me know how you liked it by leaving a comment/rating below! Be sure to follow along on Pinterest, Instagram and Facebook for even more deliciousness!
Hope you enjoy loves! xoPrint
A rich a hearty stew loaded with peanut butter, sweet potato and lentils for a cozy and filling meal!
- 1 tbsp avocado oil
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 1-inch cube of ginger, grated
- 5 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 2 medium sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into small cubes
- 1 turnip, cut into small cubes
- 1/2 cup dried green lentils
- 2 tsp cumin seeds
- 2 tsp ground coriander (or coriander seeds)
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 cup crushed tomatoes
- 3 cups vegetable broth
- 2 tsp maple syrup
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 3/4 cup chunky peanut butter
- 2 cups kale, shredded
- salt & pepper to taste
- crushed peanuts and cilantro to top
- Heat the avocado oil in a large pot on medium-high heat.
- Add the onion and let cook for 2-3 minutes until translucent.
- Add the ginger and garlic and let cook for another 2 minutes.
- Next add the sweet potato, turnip, lentils, cumin seeds, ground coriander and cayenne pepper and mix together, letting cook for about 1 minute.
- Reduce the heat to medium-low, then add the crushed tomatoes and vegetable broth. Let simmer for 15 minutes.
- Add in the rest of the ingredients and mix until combined. Let simmer for another 10 minutes.
- Serve with crushed peanuts and cilantro.
This One-Pot Vegan Peanut Stew can be made in a regular pot, instant pot, or slow cooker. The recipe card below shares how to make this in a regular pot, though if you want to make this in a slow cooker or instant pot, add all of the ingredients except for the kale and cook on low for 6-8 hours. Then add the shredded kale 15 minutes before serving.
Give the onions, ginger and garlic time to brown in the pot to really build up the flavour.
Use chunky peanut butter for this recipe. It adds some great texture!
Serve this stew on its own or over some steamed white rice. It’s also great topped off with some cilantro and crushed peanuts.
- Serving Size: 1/6 recipe
- Calories: 364
- Sugar: 10g
- Fat: 17g
- Saturated Fat: 3g
- Carbohydrates: 39g
- Fiber: 12g
- Protein: 18g
Keywords: african soup recipe, peanut stew recipe