These vegan peppermint mocha donuts are loaded with chocolate, coffee and peppermint flavour for a
Peppermint peppermint pepperminttt!!
Seriously my peppermint addiction this month is getting a little out of control. I have a big box of candy canes and I’m not afraid to use em! I’m just in the mood to crush them up and throw them on just about anything. Hot chocolate? yes. Donuts? YOU GOT IT! Who knows what kind of peppermint creation will come next!
Because if there’s one festive Christmas treat I can think of, it’s candy canes. Red and white stripped peppermint candy canes to be exact. And let me tell you, if you think candy canes are good on their own, then omg just wait until you ty them crushed up on top of DONUTS.
Rather than just making these as regular chocolate donuts, on top of it we’re doing as twist off of the classic Starbucks Christmas drink: a peppermint mocha. Aka these have chocolate and coffee in them. Aka they are basically heaven.
A few notes on the recipe:
These vegan peppermint mocha donuts are baked rather than fried, so they’re much healthier than a typical donut. They can also be easily made gluten-free by using a 1-1 baking gluten-free flour blend.
For the instant coffee, make sure to use INSTANT coffee in the recipe. If you don’t have instant coffee on hand, you can make a shot of espresso, and replace a couple tablespoons of the milk with espresso.
To pipe the donuts into the donut pan, you can either use a piping bag, or you can use a large ziplock bag with a hole cut out in the end. You’ll want to cut the hole big enough so the batter can squeeze out evenly into the pan.
For the icing, you can melt the chocolate either using a double boiler method or in the microwave. If you’re using a microwave just make sure not to burn the chocolate!
These vegan peppermint mocha donuts are:
- Loaded with chocolate, coffee and peppermint
- Make the perfect afternoon snack with a cup of coffee (seriously, you gotta try it.)
- The perfect festive Christmas treat!
Happy peppermint season, and happy donut making! XOPrint
the perfect holiday donuts made with chocolate, coffee and peppermint!
- 2 cups flour (or gluten-free flour blend)
- 1/3 cup high-quality cocoa powder
- 1 tbsp instant coffee
- 1/2 cup organic cane sugar
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 1/4 cup almond milk (or any non-dairy milk)
- 1/4 cup melted coconut oil (or melted vegan butter)
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp peppermint extract
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees and spray a donut pan with cooking spray.
- To prepare the donuts, mix all the dry ingredients together in a bowl.
- Then mix the wet ingredients together in a bowl.
- Pour the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients and mix just until combined.
- Use a piping bag or a ziplock bag with the corner cut to pipe the donuts into the donut pan.
- Bake for 10-11 minutes then remove from the oven and let cool.
- To make the icing, melt the chocolate chips and coconut oil in the microwave or on a double boiler.
- Dip the donuts into the chocolate icing and let sit to harden for 10 minutes before sprinkling with the crushed candy canes.
I use this donut pan to make these!
- Serving Size: 1 donut
- Calories: 288
- Sugar: 16g
- Fat: 16g
- Saturated Fat: 12g
- Carbohydrates: 35g
- Fiber: 3g
- Protein: 4g
Keywords: how to make baked donuts, Christmas baking recipes, vegan donut recipe