Vegan Peppermint Mocha Donuts
These Vegan Peppermint Mocha Donuts are loaded with chocolate, coffee and peppermint flavour for a
A festive donut for the holidays
Peppermint peppermint pepperminttt!!
Seriously, my peppermint addiction this month is getting a little out of control. I have a big box of candy canes and I’m not afraid to use em! I’m just in the mood to crush them up and throw them on just about anything. Peppermint Hot Chocolate? Yes. Marbled Peppermint Bark? Heck yes! Donuts? YOU GOT IT!
If there’s one festive Christmas treat I can think of, it’s candy canes. Red and white striped peppermint candy canes to be exact. And let me tell you, if you think candy canes are good on their own, then omg just wait until you try them crushed up on top of DONUTS.
Rather than just making these as regular chocolate donuts, on top of it we’re doing as twist off of the classic Starbucks Christmas drink: a peppermint mocha. So, this recipe has chocolate and coffee in them, and basically, these donuts are heaven.
Why you’ll love this recipe
- These vegan peppermint mocha donuts are baked rather than fried, so they’re much healthier than a typical donut. They can also be easily made gluten-free by using a 1-1 baking gluten-free flour blend.
- This donut glaze is made from melted chocolate which creates a super chocolatey topping that goes perfectly with the mocha chocolatey donuts!
- Peppermint mocha donuts (also, any donuts) are fun to make as an activity for the holidays!
How to make this recipe perfectly
- Make sure to use INSTANT coffee in the recipe. (Don’t add in ground coffee beans) If you don’t have instant coffee on hand, you can make a shot of espresso, and replace a couple of tablespoons of the milk with espresso.
- I use this donut pan to make these donuts.
- To pipe the donuts into the donut pan, you can either use a piping bag, or you can use a large ziplock bag with a hole cut out in the end. You’ll want to cut the hole big enough so the batter can squeeze out evenly into the pan.
- For the icing, you can melt the chocolate either using a double boiler method or in the microwave. If you’re using a microwave, just make sure not to burn the chocolate!
More donut recipes to tryPrint
The perfect holiday donuts made with chocolate, coffee and peppermint!
- 2 cups flour (or gluten-free flour blend)
- 1/3 cup high-quality cocoa powder
- 1 tbsp instant coffee
- 1/2 cup organic cane sugar
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 1/4 cup almond milk (or any non-dairy milk)
- 1/4 cup melted coconut oil (or melted vegan butter)
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp peppermint extract
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees and spray a donut pan with cooking spray.
- To prepare the donuts, mix all the dry ingredients together in a bowl.
- Then mix the wet ingredients together in a bowl.
- Pour the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients and mix just until combined.
- Use a piping bag or a ziplock bag with the corner cut to pipe the donuts into the donut pan.
- Bake for 10-11 minutes then remove from the oven and let cool.
- To make the icing, melt the chocolate chips and coconut oil in the microwave or on a double boiler.
- Dip the donuts into the chocolate icing and let sit to harden for 10 minutes before sprinkling with the crushed candy canes.
Make sure to instant coffee in this recipe and not ground coffee beans.
I use this donut pan to make these donuts.
You can use a piping bag or a large ziplock bag with a hole cut out in the end to pipe your donuts into the pan. Don’t fill up the donut molds to full otherwise the donuts will overflow.
- Serving Size: 1 donut
- Calories: 288
- Sugar: 16g
- Fat: 16g
- Saturated Fat: 12g
- Carbohydrates: 35g
- Fiber: 3g
- Protein: 4g
Keywords: how to make baked donuts, Christmas baking recipes, vegan donut recipe
If you tried these Vegan Peppermint Mocha Donuts or any other recipe on the blog let me know how you liked it by leaving a comment/rating below! Be sure to follow along on Pinterest, Instagram and Facebook for even more deliciousness!