Vegan Gingerbread Donuts with Gingerbread Sugar
These Vegan Gingerbread Donuts with Gingerbread Sugar are baked to perfection, and made healthier with natural ingredients! They’re light and fluffy, filled with cozy holiday gingerbread flavour!
Today. is. the day. The day for gingerbread season to start!
That’s right friends. We had a good run with pumpkin season this year, (with some great recipes like this Healthy Maple Pumpkin Bread and these Pumpkin Spice Latte Cupcakes) but alas, all good things come to an end.
But luckily, as the old saying goes, “when one door closes, another one opens.” And this this case, we’re opening the door to GINGERBREAD SEASON! Who else is as excited as I am? Honestly, nobody.
Including these Vegan Gingerbread Donuts with Gingerbread Sugar, which are on repeat in my home!
Yes, the love is real. These donuts are no joke people. They’re light and fluffy and airy and completely filled with delicious gingerbread flavour. Oh, and just in case that isn’t enough gingerbread for you, we top them off with a gingerbread sugar (instead of cinnamon sugar) because, GINGERBREAD!
How to make these vegan gingerbread donuts
In one bowl, mix wet ingredients. In a separate bowl, mix together the dry ingredients. Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients, and gently mix thoroughly together.
When you’re making the batter for these vegan gingerbread donuts, make sure not to overmix, otherwise they won’t come out light and fluffy! Mix just until incorporated.
The batter should be thick enough to pipe into the donut pan. You can either use a piping bag to pipe the batter into the donut pan, or you can use a thick ziplock bag and just cut a hole in the corner.
Bake the donuts at 400 degrees, and bake for 10-11 minutes. Prepare the gingerbread sugar in a second bowl, and toss the donuts in the sugar while they’re still warm to help the sugar stick!
A few notes on this recipe:
- You have a few options for flour here. I like to use organic white spelt flour, but regular flour or a 1-1 baking gluten-free blend will work well too. You can opt for half white flour and half whole wheat if that’s something you prefer!
- I like to use refined coconut oil since it has zero flavour, but any coconut oil, or neutral tasting oil will work well.
- These donuts are baked rather than fried, making them a healthier recipe that uses a lot less oil!
- If you
wantto keep these donuts even lower in sugar, you can skip out on the coating. They’re still delicious without it!
More gingerbread recipes to try
If you tried these Vegan Gingerbread Donuts with Gingerbread Sugar or any other recipe on the blog let me know how you liked it by leaving a comment/rating below! Be sure to follow along on Pinterest, Instagram and Facebook for even more deliciousness!Print
Get your gingerbread fix with these fluffy gingerbread donuts!
Gingerbread spice blend
- 2 cups Spelt flour blend, gluten-free flour blend, or regular flour
- 1/2 cup organic cane sugar
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- gingerbread spice blend
- 1 & 1/3 cups almond milk
- 1/4 cup coconut oil, melted and cooled
- 3 tbsp blackstrap molasses
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 tsp gingerbread spice blend
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees and spray a donut pan with cooking spray
- Mix the gingerbread spice blend ingredients together. Set aside 1tsp of the mixture to use in the gingerbread sugar coating.
- To prepare the donuts, mix all the dry ingredients together in a bowl.
- Mix the wet ingredients together in a bowl.
- Pour the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients and mix just until combined.
- Use a piping bag or a ziplock bag with the corner cut to pipe the donuts into the donut pan.
- Bake for 10-11 minutes.
- Remove and let cool slightly, then toss in a ziplock bag with the cinnamon sugar. (The coating should stick if the donuts are still warm, alternatively, you can spray the donuts with a bit of cooking spray before tossing in the gingerbread sugar mixture.)
I use this donut pan to make these donuts!
These donuts are best enjoyed within 2 days of making them
- Serving Size: 1 donut
- Calories: 203
- Sugar: 20g
- Fat: 5g
- Saturated Fat: 4g
- Carbohydrates: 38g
- Fiber: 0.8g
- Protein: 2g
Keywords: vegan donut recipe, vegan gingerbread recipe, how to make baked donuts