These vegan gingerbread donuts with gingerbread sugar are baked to perfection and made healthier with natural ingredients!
Today. is. the day.
The day for gingerbread season to start that is!
That’s right friends. We had a good run with pumpkin season this year, (with some great recipes like these pumpkin bars) but alas, the time has come for pumpkin season to end.
But luckily, as the old saying goes, “when one door closes, another one opens.” And this this case, we’re opening the door to GINGERBREAD SEASON! Who else is as excited as I am?
Including these vegan gingerbread donuts with gingerbread sugar on repeat in my home.
Yes, the love is real. These donuts are no joke people. They’re light and fluffy and airy and completely filled with delicious gingerbread flavour. Oh and just in case that isn’t enough gingerbread for you, we top them off with a gingerbread sugar (instead of cinnamon sugar) because, GINGERBREAD!
I’m getting excited just talking about them!
A few notes on this recipe:
Let’s talk flour. You have some options here to suit whatever type of diet you follow or whatever flour you may already have on hand. I like to use organic white spelt flour, but regular flour or a 1-1 baking gluten-free blend will work well too. You can opt for half white flour and half whole wheat if that’s something you prefer!
I like to use refined coconut oil since it has zero flavour, but any coconut oil, or neutral tasting oil will work well.
When your making the batter for these vegan gingerbread donuts, make sure not to over mix! If you over mix the batter your donuts won’t come out light and fluffy. Mix just until incorporated. The batter should be thick enough to pipe into the donut pan. g
You can either use a piping bag to pipe the paper into the donut pan, or you can use a thick ziplock bag and just cut a hole in the corner. I’ve made these with both methods and they both work perfectly fine!
These vegan gingerbread donuts with gingerbread sugar are:
- Baked rather than fried
- Perfect for dunking into a cup of coffee (trust.)
- Loaded with double gingerbread flavour
Get your gingerbread fix with these gingerbread donuts baked to perfection!
Gingerbread spice blend
- 2 cups Spelt flour blend, gluten-free flour blend, or regular flour
- 1/2 cup organic cane sugar
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- gingerbread spice blend
- 1 & 1/3 cups almond milk
- 1/4 cup coconut oil, melted and cooled
- 3 tbsp blackstrap molasses
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 tsp gingerbread spice blend
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees and spray a donut pan with cooking spray
- Mix the gingerbread spice blend ingredients together. Set aside 1tsp of the mixture to use in the gingerbread sugar coating.
- To prepare the donuts, mix all the dry ingredients together in a bowl.
- Mix the wet ingredients together in a bowl.
- Pour the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients and mix just until combined.
- Use a piping bag or a ziplock bag with the corner cut to pipe the donuts into the donut pan.
- Bake for 10-11 minutes.
- Remove and let cool slightly, then toss in a ziplock bag with the cinnamon sugar. (The coating should stick if the donuts are still warm, alternatively, you can spray the donuts with a bit of cooking spray before tossing in the gingerbread sugar mixture.)
I use this donut pan to make these donuts!
These donuts are best enjoyed within 2 days of making them
- Serving Size: 1 donut
- Calories: 203
- Sugar: 20g
- Fat: 5g
- Saturated Fat: 4g
- Carbohydrates: 38g
- Fiber: 0.8g
- Protein: 2g
Keywords: vegan donut recipe, vegan gingerbread recipe, how to make baked donuts