This Instant Pot Vegan Chili comes together in under 30 minutes and is perfect for those cold days when you want to cozy up with a hearty and filling meal. It made with vegetables and two types of beans and uses a secret trick to create the perfect chili texture!
A quick & easy vegan chili recipe
Chili is one of those cozy weeknight meals that’s perfect to come home to after a long busy day. So when I got my Instant Pot last month I was so excited to use to make up a batch of delicious vegan chili! (The first recipe I made using my Instant Pot was this Butternut Squash Soup, be sure to check it out too!)
This recipe starts with a base of veggies that get sauteed in the Instant Pot before spices, tomatoes and beans are added in. It’s made with simple ingredients that deliver big flavour.
One thing I love about this recipe that it’s SO versatile. Love corn? throw some in! Want more even protein? Add in some quinoa or chopped walnuts. You can even add in a pack of veggie “ground meat” if you want (I like Yves veggie grounds best.) You can really add whatever you like!
Why you’ll love this recipe
- This Chili is made in an Instant Pot so it’s super quick and easy to make. It can also be made on the stovetop or in a slow cooker, so you have plenty of options on how to make it!
- It’s a versatile recipe, so if theres any vegetables or ingredients you love in your chilli, you can go ahead and add them in.
- This is a freezer-friendly recipe! So it’s perfect to prep in advance and store in the freezer for when you need dinner on the table fast.
What ingredients go in Vegan Chili?
Here are the ingredients we’ll be using to make this Vegan Chili:
- Onions: a necessity.
- Garlic: 4 gloves, we want A LOT of garlic!
- Carrot/celery/red pepper: These are our “flavour builder” veggies. Any other veggies you love you can add in and sautee with these.
- Spices: chilli powder, cumin powder, dried coriander, cayenne
- Coconut sugar: This helps to balance the acidity of the tomato
- Crushed tomatoes: You can also use chopped tomatoes if you prefer some tomato chunks in your chili
- Black beans: A classic in chili!
- Red kidney beans: A second type of bean gives more texture to this dish
- Vegetable broth: Make sure to use enough to cover all the ingredients.
How to make Instant Pot Vegan Chili
Start by putting the Instant Pot on saute mode and sautee the onions, garlic, carrot, celery, and red pepper until tender. Then add in the rest of the ingredients.
Close the Instant Pot and make sure it’s on sealing. Then cook on manual for 10 minutes. Let the pressure release naturally then carefully turn on venting.
One final (optional) step for this chili: Place 1/3 of the chili in a blender and pulse a few times. Add the pulsed chili back into the pot and mix together. This gives the chili an AMAZING texture.
How to serve Vegan Chili
There are so many great ways you can serve vegan chili, the possibilities are endless!
Serve this Vegan Chili:
- In a bowl with a side of bread or tortilla chips
- Wrapped up in a tortilla (like a chili burrito!)
- On top of pasta or spaghetti squash
- With corn tortillas in taco shells
Top off this Vegan Chili with:
- Vegan sour cream
- Tortilla chips or strips
- Fresh cilantro
- Vegan cheese
- Fresh lime wedge
How to make this recipe without an Instant Pot
Stovetop: Saute the veggies for 5-6 minutes until tender, then add the rest of the ingredients. Only use 3/4 cup-1 cup of vegetable broth in this version. Mix everything together and then cook on medium-low for 20-30 minutes.
Slow Cooker: Saute the veggies in a pot on the stove for 5-6 minutes until tender then add them to the slow cooker with the rest of the ingredients. Cook on low for 8 hours or on high for 4 hours.
Tips for making this recipe perfectly
- Depending on your preferred texture you can chop the veggies in larger pieces or smaller pieces. I prefer smaller pieces.
- Sautee the veggies for a good 5 minutes until they’re tender. This helps to build flavour in the chili.
- Add 1/3 of the chili to a blender and pulse just slightly then add it back to the pot of chili and mix together. This helps to create an amazing texture for the chili and will also help thicken it up.
Other Chili recipes to try
If you tried this Instant Pot Vegan Chili or any other recipe on the blog let me know how you liked it by leaving a comment/rating below! Be sure to follow along on Pinterest, Instagram and Facebook for even more deliciousness!Print
This Instant Pot Vegan Chili is SO delicious! It comes together in less than 30 minutes and is perfect for a quick and easy dinner!
- 1 tbsp avocado oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 large carrot, chopped
- 1 celery stalk, chopped
- 1 red pepper, chopped
- 2 tsp chilli powder
- 2 tsp cumin powder
- 2 tsp dried coriander (can sub oregano)
- pinch of cayenne
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 tsp coconut sugar (can sub brown sugar)
- 1 15oz can crushed tomatoes
- 1 15oz can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 15oz can red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 1/2 cups vegetable broth (or enough to cover everything)
- Turn the Instant Pot on Saute mode then add the onions, garlic, carrot, celery and red pepper. Saute for 5 minutes until the veggies are tender.
- Add the spices and coconut sugar and mix everyrhing together, then add the crushed tomatoes, beans and vegetable broth and mix together so everything is covered well.
- Close the lid, make sure it’s set to sealing and pressure cook (on manual) for 10 minutes. Let the pressure release naturally then turn to venting.
- Remove 1/3 of the chili from the Instant Pot and lightly pulse in a blender. Pour the chili back into the Instant Pot and mix it together. (*You can alterntively use an emulsion blender.)
Make sure to sautee your veggies for a good 5 minutes or until they’re nice and tender. This helps to build flavour in the chili.
If you like any different types of veggies or ingredients like corn or quinoa, toss them in!
Blending part of the chili helps to create texture in the chili and gives the chili some more body and thickness.
- Serving Size: 1/6th of recipe
- Calories: 170
- Sugar: 7g
- Sodium: 300mg
- Fat: 2g
- Carbohydrates: 30g
- Fiber: 10g
- Protein: 10g
Keywords: chili in an instant pot, vegan chili recipe, vegan chili in 30 minutes
This post contains affiliate links which means I will make a small commission if you purchase through those links. I only recommend products that I know, trust and love!