Instant Pot Wild Rice Soup
This Instant Pot Wild Rice Soup is easy to make, creamy and delicious! This soup is naturally vegan and gluten-free and makes the perfect hearty meals for weeknights!
A simple vegetarian wild rice soup
I love making meal soups in the Fall and winter. They make for the perfect simple weeknight dinners and keep you feeling full! This recipe is one I like to make regularly along with my Vegan Minestrone Soup and Stuffed Pepper Soup.
This Instant Pot wild rice soup is made with a few simple ingredients and comes together in under an hour.
It’s healthier than your average wild rice soup and is made completely dairy-free using a homemade cashew cream that you’ll love, instead of a traditional bechamel sauce. This soup stores well in the fridge for up to a week or can be frozen.
Why you’ll love this recipe
- This wild rice soup is made in an Instant Pot but can also be made on the stovetop if you don’t have an instant pot
- The wild rice is rich and nutty and perfect for a cozy night.
- The cashew cream in this soup makes the soup dairy-free and adds protein and healthy fats to it, so it will keep you feeling full for hours.
How to make wild rice soup in an Instant Pot
Put the Instant pot on Sautee mode, add some oil and the veggies to the instant pot and saute for about 5 minutes until the veggies start to get tender. Then add in the wild rice (I like to use a wild rice blend) and seasoning. mixing all together before adding in the veggie broth.
While the soup is cooking, prepare the cashew cream by blending the cashews in a high-speed blender with some water and nutritional yeast.
Put the lid on the Instant Pot, set to sealing, and pressure cook on Manual for 35-40 minutes. Let the pressure release naturally for 5 minutes then carefully set to venting to finish releasing the pressure. Remove the lid and stir in the cashew cream.
What does wild rice taste like?
Wild rice has a chewier texture than white rice and a nuttier earthier flavour. Since it’s a bit chewier than white rice, it makes it the perfect rice to add to soups, since it won’t get mushy as quickly as white rice.
Tips for making this recipe perfectly
- Give the veggies time to sautee in the Instant Pot before adding the rest of the ingredients. This will help build up all that great flavour.
- Make sure to use raw unsalted cashews to make the cashew cream. You can alternatively make a traditional bechamel sauce if you prefer.
- Different brands of soup broth can be saltier than others, so taste the soup before serving and adjust any seasoning if necessary.
- When reheating this soup, it tends to cook down more and become even thicker. You can always add some more broth to it if this happens.
More soup recipes to tryPrint
This Instant Pot Wild Rice soup makes for a hearty and delicious dinner and is completely vegan and gluten-free!
- 1/2 cup raw unsalted cashews, soaked in water overnight then drained
- 1 cup water
- 1 tsp nutritional yeast (optional)
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 large carrot, chopped
- 1 celery stalk, chopped
- 1 cup cerimi mushrooms, sliced
- 1 cup wild rice
- 2 tsp dried thyme
- 2 tsp herbs de provence
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 5 cups vegetable broth
- Blend the cashews, water and nutrition yeast together for about a minute until smooth and creamy.
- Set the Insant Pot on Sautee and add the olive oil, onions, garlic, carrot, celery and mushrooms. Let cook for about 5 minutes until the veggies start to soften.
- Then add the rice, thyme, herbs de provence, bay leaf, salt and pepper and mix together before adding the broth to the Pot.
- Seal the Instant Pot, set to sealing and pressure cook on manual for 35 minutes.
- Let the pressure release nautrally for 5-10 minutes, then carefully turn the lid to venting to finish releasing the pressure.
- Stir the cashew cream into the soup. Taste and adjust any seasoning if needed.
Give the veggies time to sautee in the Instant pot. This will build up great flavor for the soup.
Make sure to use raw unsalted cashews to make the cashew cream. If you don’t have time to soak them overnight, you can soak them in boiling water for an hour prior to blending.
When reheating this soup, it can cook down quite a bit. You can always add some more borth to it if needed.
- Serving Size: 1/4 of the recipe
- Calories: 380
- Sugar: 3g
- Sodium: 500mg
- Fat: 15g
- Saturated Fat: 2g
- Carbohydrates: 47g
- Fiber: 3g
- Protein: 13g
Keywords: vegan wild rice soup recipe, wild rice soup in an instant pot
If you tried this Instant Pot Wild Rice Soup or any other recipe on the blog let me know how you liked it by leaving a comment/rating below! Be sure to follow along on Pinterest, Instagram and Facebook for even more deliciousness!