Honey Garlic Tofu
Honey Garlic Tofu is an easy vegetarian and vegan meal that comes together in just 20 minutes. It’s perfect for an easy weeknight dinner and is packed with flavour!
What is honey garlic tofu?
Honey garlic tofu is a Chinese-inspired dish that is a vegetarian version of honey garlic chicken.
It’s made by pan-frying tofu into crispy cubes that are tossed in honey garlic sauce and topped with some green onions and sesame seeds.
The result is a crispy, tangy, sweet and savoury tofu dish that everyone will love! (This tofu dish is a great recipe to convert anyone who says they don’t like tofu into a tofu lover!)
Why you’ll love this recipe
- Ready in 20 minutes. This honey garlic tofu is perfect for those lazy weeknights when you want dinner on the table fast. The entire recipe takes less than 20 minutes to throw together!
- Can be made in a pan or air fryer. You can choose to pan-fry the tofu or if you prefer you can air-fry the tofu!
- Packed with flavour. This honey garlic sauce is healthier than a traditional honey garlic sauce but is still packed with tons of bold flavours.
Ingredients you’ll need
- Tofu: for crispy tofu, use extra-firm or firm tofu in this dish.
- Cornstarch: This is used to coat the tofu so it becomes extra crispy.
- Scallions (Green onions): these are optional but are delicious when added on top of the tofu for some freshness.
- Sesame seeds: also optional, but adds extra flavour and crunch.
- Honey garlic sauce: the sauce is made by combining soy sauce, honey, rice vinegar, sriracha, garlic and ginger together.
How to make honey garlic tofu
Cut the tofu into even cubes and then toss it in a bowl with the cornstarch.
Heat the vegetable oil in a large pan on medium-high heat, then add the tofu and cook on each side for 2-3 minutes until crispy.
While the tofu cooks, prepare the honey garlic sauce by combining the soy sauce, honey, rice vinegar, sriracha, garlic and ginger together in a small bowl.
Lower the heat to medium-low then add the honey garlic sauce to the tofu. Toss together and let cook for another 1-2 minutes until the tofu is evenly coated.
How to make it in an air fryer
To cook the tofu in an air fryer, coat the tofu in the cornstarch and then evenly spread it into the air fryer basket. Cook at 400 degrees for 10 minutes, then shake the basket and cook for an additional 3-4 minutes until crispy.
How to store and reheat
Store any leftovers of this honey garlic tofu in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days. Reheat the tofu in a pan on the stovetop or in the microwave.
Tips for making this recipe perfectly
- Prepare the rice before making the tofu. If you’d like to serve this recipe with rice, prepare the pot of rice before you start making the tofu. This way the rice will be finished cooking at the same time as the tofu.
- Use extra-firm or firm tofu. These types of tofu have less liquid in them which will result in crispier tofu cubes. If you prefer soft tofu that isn’t crispy, then you can use medium or soft tofu.
- Use a non-stick pan. This will help prevent the tofu from sticking to the bottom of the pan as it cooks.
- Add your favourite veggies. Try adding any vegetables you love to this dish to make it a veggie-packed meal!
- Serve immediately. Once the tofu is tossed together with the honey garlic sauce, it will start to lose its crispiness. It’s best to serve this dish immediately when making it, rather than letting it sit on the stove for a while before serving.
Honey garlic tofu FAQ
The secret to crispy tofu is to use extra-firm tofu and to press out as much liquid as possible from the tofu. Next, add cornstarch to the tofu to give it a crispy exterior.
You can technically use any type of tofu you like, just keep in mind that if you use medium tofu or soft tofu the dish won’t be crispy.
This dish can be made in advance, however, it’s best made right before serving so the tofu stays crispy.
Try these tofu recipes next!
If you tried this Honey Garlic Tofu or any other recipe on the blog let me know how you liked it by leaving a comment/rating below! Be sure to follow along on Pinterest, Instagram, Tiktok and Facebook for even more deliciousness!Print
Honey Garlic Tofu
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Total Time: 20 minutes
- Yield: 2 servings 1x
- Category: Main
- Method: Stir-fry
- Cuisine: Asian
- Diet: Vegetarian
Honey garlic tofu comes together in 20 minutes for an easy vegetarian weeknight meal!
- 1 pack extra-firm tofu (12–14 oz)
- 2 tbsp cornstarch
- 1–2 tbsp vegetable oil
- sliced scallions and sesame seeds to serve (optional)
Honey garlic sauce
- 3 tbsp soy sauce or tamari
- 2 tbsp honey (sub maple syrup for vegan)
- 1/2 tbsp rice vinegar (can sub lemon juice)
- 1–2 tsp sriracha
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1-inch cube ginger, minced
- Drain the tofu and press it between two paper towels to remove as much liquid as possible.
- Cut the tofu into even cubes and toss in a bowl with the cornstarch.
- Heat the vegetable oil in a non-stick pan on medium-high heat then add the tofu. Let the tofu cook for 2-3 minutes on each side until golden brown.
- While the tofu cooks, prepare the honey garlic sauce by mixing the sauce ingredients together in a bowl.
- Once the tofu is crispy on all sides, lower the heat to medium-low and pour the sauce into the pan mixing everything together and letting the sauce cook down for 1-2 minutes.
- Serve immediately over rice and top with sliced scallions and sesame seeds.
- Serving Size: 1/2 of the recipe
- Calories: 470
- Sugar: 18g
- Fat: 12g
- Carbohydrates: 32g
- Fiber: 2g
- Protein: 26g
Keywords: honey garlic tofu, garlic tofu, crispy garlic tofu
Made this for dinner and it was incredible! I made the tofu in the air fryer and then added the sauce on top. will definitely be making it again!