Vegan Chocolate Pudding
This Vegan Chocolate Pudding recipe is rich, creamy and perfect for a delicious and healthy dessert! It’s made entirely in a blender and comes together in just 10 minutes.
What is vegan chocolate pudding?
This vegan chocolate pudding is a healthy take on a traditional pudding recipe that is made with cashews, chocolate and dates.
Many vegan chocolate pudding recipes will contain ingredients like avocado or tofu, but this recipe uses raw unsalted cashews that have been soaked overnight in water instead. The result is a rich and creamy pudding that is unlike anything you’ve tried!
Why you’ll love this recipe
- Dairy-free and gluten-free. This vegan chocolate pudding is of course dairy-free and also gluten-free.
- Sweetened with dates. Rather than being sweetened with sugar, this pudding is sweetened with medjool dates! The dates give the pudding a delicious taste and texture too.
- 10 minutes to make. This entire recipe only takes 10 minutes to come together. (plus chilling time)
Vegan chocolate pudding ingredients
- Raw cashews: make sure to use raw unsalted cashews in this recipe. Roasted cashews won’t work! You can also substitute with raw unsalted macadamia nuts.
- Medjool dates: you can use regular dates, but medjool dates will give a better taste and texture to the pudding.
- Cocoa powder: any cocoa powder will work. This adds some extra chocolatey flavour to the pudding.
- Salt: just a pinch to help balance out the flavours of the pudding.
- Vanilla extract: this actually helps to enhance the flavour of the chocolate in the pudding.
- Dark chocolate: I like to use 70% dark chocolate, but you can use any type of chocolate you love.
- Water: to help blend everything together.
Do I need to soak the cashews for this pudding?
YES. This is a very important step that you cannot skip! Soaking the raw cashews will help to soften the cashews so when they blend they become creamy. If you add cashews that have not been soaked, you’ll end up with a very grainy pudding.
How to make vegan chocolate pudding
Add the soaked raw cashews, dates, cocoa powder, salt, vanilla, and dark chocolate to a high-speed blender.
Add the water and blend on high until the pudding is smooth and creamy. You’ll probably need to use a spatula to scrape down the sides of the blender a few times as you blend to make sure there are no little bits of cashews left.
Divide the pudding evenly between 4-6 small cups or jars, then place the pudding in the fridge to set for at least 3 hours. Seve as is or top with whipped coconut cream and chocolate flakes.
Chocolate pudding topping ideas
There are so many different ways you can enjoy this vegan chocolate pudding. It’s delicious on its own but can also be enjoyed with any toppings you love. Here are some ideas.
- Whipped coconut cream
- Vegan yogurt
- Chocolate flakes or chips
- Cacao nibs
- Nut butter
- Chocolate sauce
How to store
Store this vegan chocolate pudding in a sealed jar or individual jars in the fridge for up to 6 days. This pudding must be stored in the fridge to keep it fresh and to keep the texture thick.
How to make this recipe perfectly
- Make sure to use raw cashews. You can’t use roasted cashews in this recipe otherwise the pudding won’t turn out properly.
- Use any type of chocolate you love. I like 70% dark chocolate, but if you prefer milk chocolate you can use that too.
- Continue to blend until smooth. You want to blend the pudding very well until no little bits of cashews remain and the pudding is smooth and creamy. It shouldn’t have a grainy texture.
- Let set in the fridge for at least 3 hours, or overnight. This will allow the pudding to thicken to the right texture.
More chocolate recipes to try
If you tried these Cookie Dough Overnight Oats or any other recipe on the blog let me know how you liked it by leaving a comment/rating below! Be sure to follow along on Pinterest, Instagram, Tiktok and Facebook for even more deliciousness!Print
Vegan Chocolate Pudding
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 0 minutes
- Total Time: 10 minutes
- Yield: 6 servings 1x
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Blend
- Cuisine: American
- Diet: Vegan
This vegan chocolate pudding is dairy-free, gluten-free and easy to make!
- 1/2 cup raw cashews, soaked in water overnight*
- 8 medjool dates, pits removed
- 2 tbsp cocoa powder
- pinch of salt
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 6 oz 70% dark chocolate, melted
- 1 1/2 cups water
- Drain the cashews that have been soaking in water overnight.
- Add all the ingredients to a high-speed blender and blend until completely smooth, scraping down the sides of the blender as needed. (You may need to do this a few times to ensure no tiny bits of cashews remain.)
- Divide the pudding between 6 cups and place in the fridge for at least 3 hours to set.
*If you don’t have time to soak the cashews in water overnight you can soak them in almost boiling water for 1-2 hours.
Make sure to blend the pudding very well so it has a smooth and creamy consistency.
- Serving Size: 1/6th of recipe
- Calories: 210
- Sugar: 18g
- Fat: 11g
- Carbohydrates: 28g
- Fiber: 3g
- Protein: 4.5g
Keywords: vegan pudding, vegan chocolate pudding, dairy-free chocolate pudding
Super simple and super tasty. Jessica, what do you recommend if I want it a little sweeter?
So creamy and chocolatey! I was looking for a vegan chocolate pudding that wasn’t made with tofu or avocados and this one is it!