A delicious vegan cornbread that is easy to make and has the perfect texture!
- 1 cup white Spelt flour (or gluten-free flour or regular flour)
- 1 cup medium ground cornmeal
- 1/4 cup coconut sugar (or sweetener of choice)
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 2 flax eggs (2 tbsp ground flax seeds mixed in 6 tbsp water)
- 1/3 cup vegan butter or refined coconut oil, melted
- 1 1/4 cup oat milk (can sub any plant-based milk)
- Fresh corn
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F and grease an 8 inch cast iron skillet with coconut oil.
- Mix the flour, cornmeal, coconut sugar, salt and baking powder together in a bowl.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the flax eggs, coconut oil and almond milk.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry and mix with a spatula just until combined. Do not overmix!
- Let the batter sit and rest for 10 minutes.
- Pour the batter in the skillet and bake for 20-25, or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Let cool completely before serving.
Don’t overmix the batter. This will lead to a crumbly dense conbread.
Let the batter sit for 10 minutes so the cornmeal can start to absorb the liquid.
If you’re oven runs hot, bake at 350 degrees F.
- Serving Size: 1 slice
- Calories: 285
- Sugar: 8g
- Sodium: 100mg
- Fat: 9g
- Saturated Fat: 6g
- Carbohydrates: 40g
- Fiber: 5g
- Protein: 6g
Keywords: vegan cornbread recipe, healthy cornbread