This vegan cornbread is soft, moist and has just the right amount of sweetness! It’s a deliciously simple recipe that comes together in less than 35 minutes!
An easy cornbread recipe
This vegan cornbread is one of those easy recipes where you can just add everything to a mixing bowl and whip up in no time!
This cornbread is of course egg-free and dairy-free and is made with flax-eggs in place of real eggs, plant-based milk and an option for vegan butter or coconut oil.
There are a few factors that make up the perfect cornbread. A perfect cornbread should be moist, (nobody wants a dry cornbread..) not too crumbly, have a buttery texture, and be subtly sweet. I’m happy to say that this vegan cornbread checks these all off the list, hoorah!
Why you’ll love this recipe
- This cornbread is a healthy recipe that uses spelt flour, coconut sugar and cornmeal.
- It’s just sweet enough, but not overly sweet like some cornbread recipes. (which also keeps this cornbread low in sugar!)
- It’s moist with just the right amount of grainy cornbread texture from using medium-ground cornmeal.
- You don’t need any fancy equipment to make this recipe, all you’ll need is 2 bowls.
- You can eat this cornbread with a side with a bowl of chilli or on its own with some vegan butter spread on top.
How to make vegan cornbread
mix the dry ingredients into a bowl, then add the wet ingredients and mix just until combined. (Don’t overmix!)
Let the batter sit for 10 minutes, then pour the batter into a greased cast-iron skillet.
Bake at 375 degrees F for 22-26 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Let cool for 15 minutes before cutting and serving.
Tips for making this recipe perfectly
- Don’t over mix your batter. I’m serious, you may be tempted to mix and whisk out all those little clumps until it seems super smooth and creamy…DON’T. Overmixing will lead to a crumby tough cornbread. Mix the batter just until everything is incorporated.
- Let the batter to rest for 10 minutes. This one is super important and it’s one that many recipes overlook. Cornmeal takes longer to absorb water than flour does, so by letting the batter rest you’re giving the batter a chance to absorb more liquid and letting your cornmeal become nice and soft and tender. This will result in a softer moister cornbread.
- Don’t make your oven too hot! This can dry out the cornbread. I baked mine at 375 degrees F, though if your oven runs hot, you can even try baking at 350 degrees F.
Other vegan baked goods to try
If you tried this vegan cornbread or any other recipe on the blog let me know how you liked it by leaving a comment/rating below! Be sure to follow along on Pinterest, Instagram and Facebook for even more deliciousness!Print
A delicious vegan cornbread that is easy to make and has the perfect texture!
- 1 cup white Spelt flour (or gluten-free flour or regular flour)
- 1 cup medium ground cornmeal
- 1/4 cup coconut sugar (or sweetener of choice)
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 2 flax eggs (2 tbsp flax seeds mixed in 6 tbsp water)
- 1/3 cup vegan butter or refined coconut oil, melted
- 1 1/4 cup oat milk (can sub any plant-based milk)
- Fresh corn
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F and grease an 8 inch cast iron skillet with coconut oil.
- Mix the flour, cornmeal, coconut sugar, salt and baking powder together in a bowl.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the flax eggs, coconut oil and almond milk.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry and mix with a spatula just until combined. Do not overmix!
- Let the batter sit and rest for 10 minutes.
- Pour the batter in the skillet and bake for 20-25, or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Let cool completely before serving.
Don’t overmix the batter. This will lead to a crumbly dense conbread.
Let the batter sit for 10 minutes so the cornmeal can start to absorb the liquid.
If you’re oven runs hot, bake at 350 degrees F.
- Serving Size: 1 slice
- Calories: 285
- Sugar: 8g
- Sodium: 100mg
- Fat: 9g
- Saturated Fat: 6g
- Carbohydrates: 40g
- Fiber: 5g
- Protein: 6g
Keywords: vegan cornbread recipe, healthy cornbread
This post contains affiliate links which means I will make a small commission if you purchase through those links. I only recommend products that I know, trust and love!