These Black Bean Quinoa Burgers are a healthy vegetarian & vegan burger loaded with protein and bold flavour! They’re spiced with cumin, chili powder, and barbecue sauce and baked to perfection!
The best veggie burgers
Let’s kick off the weekend with some Black Bean Quinoa Burgers! Since we’re well into bbq season, I think it’s time to share a burger recipe. (Especially with father’s day coming up)
I love a good burger. If you ask me, a burger is like the ultimate sandwich. There’s something so satisfying about biting into a delicious burger squished between two buns and loaded with yummy toppings. I love a good veggie burger, like my Chickpea Veggie Burgers, and now, we have another burger to join the party.
Well, say hello to my new favourite summer burger! These Black Bean Quinoa Burgers are completely vegan, (no egg needed) and gluten-free! They’re also mega healthy and loaded with protein.
Black beans are a super healthy option to use in a veggie burger. They’re loaded with a ton of fibre, potassium, vitamin B6 and protein! They also hold up really well in a burger.
How to make these black bean quinoa burgers
These burgers have a base of black beans and quinoa, and they are loaded with bold flavour of onion, garlic, bbq sauce and cumin. They pack big flavour for a veggie burger!
This recipe is also made entirely in a food processor, which makes them so easy to throw together! If you prefer having some more whole-bean pieces on your burger patties, add 1 cup of black beans to start, and the second cup of black beans at the end. Then, just pulse them a few times to leave a few chunks.
Use your hands to form big patties with the mixture, and lay them on a baking sheet. Brush each patty with olive oil, and bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes. Flip the burgers halfway through, so that they bake evenly on both sides.
A few notes on this recipe:
- Most veggie burgers are notorious for falling about on a grill top, but you could grill these on a bbq tray. You could also cook them in a frying pan, or just stick to the traditional recipe and bake these up in the oven!
- Add any seasoning you want to these burgers. Cumin and chilli powder are essentials for me, but you can mix it up and add in any of your favourite spices and herbs!
- I use gluten-free breadcrumbs in these burgers, but you can use any type of breadcrumbs you have on hand, or even oats would work well! The texture might be a little different, but the flavour would be great!
Some great topping options for these burgers
Some flavours that would pair really well with these burgers are fresh greens, and savoury spreads! For fresh greens, thinly sliced cucumber, butter lettuce, or sunflower sprouts would work well.
For savoury spreads, add some dijon mustard or a vegan garlic aioli, or even a vegan mayonnaise to add some creamy texture.
One of my favourite toppings on my burgers are pickled red onions! If you’re interested in making picked red onions, budget bytes has a great quick and easy recipe for them here! They also look really pretty on the burger too!
More black bean recipes to try
If you tried these Black Bean Quinoa Burgers or any other recipe on the blog let me know how you liked it by leaving a comment/rating below! Be sure to follow along on Pinterest, Instagram and Facebook for even more deliciousness!Print
A hearty and delicious veggie burger loaded with black beans and quinoa!
- 2 cup black beans
- 1 cup quinoa (cooked)
- 1 cup gluten-free breadcrumbs (or any breadcrumbs)
- 1 medium onion
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1 tbsp bbq sauce
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp chilli powder
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- Your favourite buns
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F and line a pan with parchment paper.
- Mix all the burger ingredients together in a food processor until well combined
- Using your hand form the mixture into 4-5 patties, placing them onto the baking pan.
- Brush each patty with some olive oil.
- Bake for 30 minutes, flipping halfway through.
- Serve on a bun with your favourite burger condiments!
Add any of your favourite seasoning or herbs to these burgers!
- Serving Size: 1 burger
- Calories: 511
- Sugar: 6g
- Fat: 6g
- Saturated Fat: 1g
- Carbohydrates: 92g
- Fiber: 15g
- Protein: 24g
Keywords: Veggie burger, vegan burger, black bean burger
This post contains affiliate links which means I will make a small commission if you purchase through those links. I only recommend products that I know, trust and love!