This Farro Salad with Halloumi and Berries features crispy halloumi cheese croutons, mint and walnuts for a hearty and delicious salad.
- 1 cup farro
- 3 cups vegetable broth
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 8-ounce block halloumi cheese, cub into squares
- 1 cup arugula or mixed greens
- 1 cup berries of choice
- 1 handful mint leaves, chopped
- 1/4 cup walnuts chopped
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp fresh-squeezed orange juice
- 1/2 tsp orange zest
- 1 tbsp white wine vinegar (can sub apple cider vinegar or lemon juice)
- 1 tsp dijon mustard
- 1 tbsp honey
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- Cook the farro: Bring the farro and vegetable stock to a boil in a saucepan and cook according to package directions. Drain off the excess liquid and let the farro cool completely.
- Make the dressing: Mix all the salad dressing ingredients together in a small bowl. Set aside.
- Pan-fry the halloumi: Heat the vegetable oil in a non-stick pan on medium-high heat. Pat the halloumi cubes dry with a paper towel, then add the halloumi and cook until golden brown on each side (about 1-2 minutes). Remove and place on a plate.
- Assemble the salad: Mix the farro, halloumi, arugula, berries, mint and walnuts together in a large bowl. Top with the dressing and toss together. Taste and season with more salt and pepper if needed.
. The broth will give the farro flavour and make for a better-tasting salad.
Prep the halloumi cheese right before serving. You want it to still be slightly warm and soft inside, and crispy outside!
- Serving Size: 1/8th recipe
- Calories: 280
- Sugar: 3g
- Fat: 19g
- Carbohydrates: 17g
- Fiber: 2g
- Protein: 10g
Keywords: salad with halloumi cheese, healthy farro salad, farro salad with berries