Homemade ravioli with beet dough and a ricotta mint filling, YUM!
Ricotta & mint filling
- 1 cup ricotta cheese
- 1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 6–8 mint leaves, finely chopped
- 1 tsp lemon zest
- salt & pepper tsp taste
- 2 cups flour
- 2 large eggs
- 4 tbsp beet puree (*see note)
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Start by making the filling. Mix all filling ingredients together in a bowl and place in the fridge.
- To make the ravioli, place the flour on a clean surface. Make a well in the centre and add the eggs. Mix together with a fork to incorporate, then use your hands to knead until smooth and elastic, about 5-10 minutes, add a pinch of extra flour if necessary to keep dough from sticking, and a pinch of water if your dough feels too dry. Cover and let rest for 30 minutes.
- Cut the dough into quarters, take one piece and run it through a pasta machine on the largest setting 4-5 times.
- Keep running the dough through the pasta machine, lowering the setting each time you run it through. (Mine goes from thickness 7 down to 1)
- place 1 heaping teaspoon of filling 2 inches apart over a pasta sheet. Brush around filling with water to moisten place a second sheet over, pressing down to seal. Use a heart-shaped cutter to cut into hearts, then give each ravioli a press around the edges to make sure they are sealed.
- Repeat with the rest of the dough.
To make the beet puree blend 1 cooked beat until smooth and creamy. Serve this pasta with your favourite sauce. They’re delicious tossed in some browned butter or with a pesto! I use this pasta machine to make this recipe. If you don’t have a pasta machine, you can also use a rolling pin and keep rolling the dough until it’s thin.
- Serving Size: 1/4 recipe
- Calories: 370
- Sugar: 2g
- Fat: 8g
- Saturated Fat: 5g
- Carbohydrates: 54g
- Fiber: 3g
- Protein: 19g
Keywords: How to make homemade pasta, how to make pasta from scratch, recipes for Valentine's day