This Lentil Stew is easy to make and naturally vegetarian, vegan and gluten-free. It’s the perfect cozy meal for a cold night!
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 celery stalk, chopped
- 2 large carrots, chopped
- 2 medium russet potatoes, cut into cubes (approx 3 cups)
- 2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh rosemary
- 2 tbsp fresh thyme leaves
- 1 cup dry brown lentils
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 cups spinach (optional)
- Heat the olive oil in a large pot on medium-high heat, then add the onion, garlic, celery and carrots and sautee for 4-5 minutes.
- Add the potatoes, smoked paprika, salt, pepper, rosemary and thyme and mix everything together letting cook for 1-2 minutes until all the vegetables are evenly coated in the spices.
- Rinse the lentils in a strainer under some water for 30 seconds (this will remove any dirt) and add the lentils, vegetable broth, lemon juice and bay leave and mix everything together.
- Reduce the heat, cover and let simmer on low for 30-45 minutes until the lentils are cooked through.
- Remove the lid and mix in the spinach before serving.
Use brown lentils in this recipe if you want the lentils to hold their shape. If you prefer a softer lentil stew that is more like a soup, you can use red lentils.
Use fresh rosemary and thyme for the best flavour. If you don’t have these available you can use them dried, or use 2 tsp of herbs de Provence.
Go for low sodium vegetable broth. This way you have more control over how salty the stew is and can add more salt as needed.
- Serving Size: 1/6th of recipe
- Calories: 250
- Sugar: 5g
- Sodium: 500mg
- Fat: 6.2g
- Saturated Fat: 1g
- Carbohydrates: 36.2g
- Fiber: 11g
- Protein: 14.2g
Keywords: vegan lentil stew, easy lentil stew, vegetarian lentil stew