These sweet potatoes are stuffed with Moroccan eggplant, roasted chickpeas, and topped with drizzled tahini and herbs!
- 1 medium eggplant (about 3–4 cups worth)
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 4 garlic cloves
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- salt & pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 can chickpeas, drained and patted dry.
- 1/2 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 4 sweet potatoes, cut in half lengthwise
- 1/4 cup tahini
- 1/4 cup pomegranate seeds
- bunch of cilantro, finely chopped
- For the eggplant: Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F and line a baking pan with parchment paper. Peel and chop the eggplant into cubes then scatter on the baking pan. Bake for about 30 minutes or until tender. Add the olive oil to a pan on medium-high heat, then add the garlic and let cook for 30 seconds. Add the eggplant, tomato paste spices and lemon juice and mix together until combined, then add the water. Let cook on low heat for 10 minutes, using a fork to mash the eggplant.
- For the chickpeas: Toss the chickpeas with the olive oil, paprika and salt then place on a baking pan. Place in the oven at 400 degrees F and bake for 30 minutes until crispy.
- For the sweet potatoes: Place the sweet potatoes on a separate baking pan face down and place in the oven at 400 degrees F for 30 minutes, or until soft. (The sweet potatoes and chickpeas can go in the oven together and will take approx. the same time to cook.)
- Putting it all together: Mash the sweet potatoes with a fork, then top with the eggplant, roasted chickpeas, tahini, pomegranate seeds and cilantro.
I like to put the eggplant in the oven to start, then once it’s done I put the chickpeas and sweet potatoes in the oven right away. While those cook, I prepare the eggplant on the stove and the rest of the ingredients. Store any leftovers in the fridge and reheat in the oven.
- Serving Size: 1 stuffed potato
- Calories: 450
- Sugar: 16g
- Fat: 17g
- Saturated Fat: 2g
- Carbohydrates: 71g
- Fiber: 19g
- Protein: 17g
Keywords: stuffed sweet potato, healthy sweet potato