This Smashed Chickpea Salad Sandwich is a healthy vegetarian sandwich that’s perfect for an easy lunch!
Smashed chickpea salad
- 14oz can of chickpeas, drained
- 3 tbsp hummus (can sub vegan mayo)
- 1 tbsp dijon mustard
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1/4 cup finely chopped red onion
- 3 tbsp capers, chopped
- 1 handful dill, chopped
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- Sliced bread (gluten-free if needed)
- Smash the chickpeas using a potato masher, fork, or food processor, then add the remaining chickpea salad ingredients to the bowl and mix together. Taste and adjust seasoning if needed.
- Lightly toast the bread then assemble the sandwich.
. You can leave the chickpeas salad very chunky, or very mashed (almost like a pate texture)
Depending on the brand of chickpeas you use, you may need more or less salt and seasoning. Some brands of canned chickpeas have more salt added to them than others.
Lightly toast the bread. This gives the sandwich a nice flavour and texture.
- Serving Size: 1 sandwich
- Calories: 290
- Sugar: 2g
- Fat: 4.3g
- Carbohydrates: 44g
- Fiber: 14g
- Protein: 15g
Keywords: chickpea salad, healthy vegetarian sandwich, sandwich with chickpeas