Smashed Chickpea Salad Sandwich
Want a healthy easy lunch? This Smashed Chickpea Salad Sandwich has you covered! It’s easy to make and perfect to make ahead of time for meal prep, or to eat on the go!
This recipe is in partnership with One Degree Organic.
Smashed chickpea salad
Vegan lunch options can feel a bit tricky sometimes. You want something that has plant-based protein, but also something that’s easy to make and transport. (Because let’s be honest, we don’t always want curry for lunch.)
If you’re looking for an easy and filling vegan lunch recipe this sandwich is just what you need. This Smashed Chickpea Salad Sandwich recipe is packed with 15 grams of protein per sandwich and 14 grams of fibre per serving. Plus the chickpea smash only takes about 10 minutes to throw together and can be meal prepped!
This sandwich is made using One Degree Organic Sprouted Flax and Spelt Bread, made with whole-grains and clean organic ingredients. This bread is also certified vegan and glyphosate-free, making it the perfect healthy choice for a sandwich!
The chickpea salad is essentially like a “vegan egg salad” or “vegan tuna salad”….just made with chickpeas. The chickpeas get smashed up which gives them a great texture, then mixed with ingredients like hummus, dijon and capers for flavour.
Ingredients for the smashed chickpea salad
- Chickpeas: chickpeas are a great vegan protein source and perfect for a filling lunch. To keep things simple, we’re using canned chickpeas for this recipe
- Hummus: this adds some creaminess to the chickpea salad. You could also use vegan mayo if you prefer.
- Dijon Mustard: such a key ingredient to a smashed chickpeas salad!
- Lemon Juice: To help balance and give a bit of acidity to the chickpea salad
- Red onion: For a punch of flavour!
- Capers: Don’t skip out on these, capers make a huge difference in this recipe!
- Dill: Pairs well with the dijon and capers
- Salt, pepper & paprika: to season
Drain and rinse the can of chickpeas then either gently pulse in a food processor, or mash with a potato masher or large fork. Then add the chickpeas and other chickpea salad ingredients to a large mixing bowl
Mix everything together until it’s well combined. Give it a taste and adjust any seasoning if needed.
Add a thick layer of chickpea salad between two slices of bread. Add whatever filling you like to the sandwich! Here’s a list of suggestions to add to your sandwich
What to put in a Chickpea Salad Sandwich
I like to keep my sandwich filling pretty simple with some lettuce and sprouts so the smashed chickpea salad can really shine. But this sandwich is great layered with all kinds of veggies and spreads. Here are some you can try adding
- Sprouts (alfalfa sprouts, radish sprouts…etc
- Sliced radishes
- Grainy mustard
- Vegan mayo
- Shredded carrots
How to store leftovers
Store any leftovers of the chickpea salad in a sealed container in the fridge for up to 5 days. The sandwiches are best if made fresh, but can be prepared a night ahead of time if you want to pack one for lunch to go.
- Mash to your desired texture. You can leave the chickpeas salad very chunky, or very mashed (almost like a pate texture)
- Depending on the brand of chickpeas you use, you may need more or less salt and seasoning. Some brands of canned chickpeas have more salt added to them than others.
- Lightly toast the bread. This gives the sandwich a nice flavour and texture.
More easy lunch recipes to try
If you tried this Smashed Chickpea Salad Sandwich or any other recipe on the blog let me know how you liked it by leaving a comment/rating below! Be sure to follow along on Pinterest, Instagram and Facebook for even more deliciousness!
This Smashed Chickpea Salad Sandwich is a healthy vegetarian sandwich that’s perfect for an easy lunch!
Smashed chickpea salad
- 14oz can of chickpeas, drained
- 3 tbsp hummus (can sub vegan mayo)
- 1 tbsp dijon mustard
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1/4 cup finely chopped red onion
- 3 tbsp capers, chopped
- 1 handful dill, chopped
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- Sliced bread (gluten-free if needed)
- Smash the chickpeas using a potato masher, fork, or food processor, then add the remaining chickpea salad ingredients to the bowl and mix together. Taste and adjust seasoning if needed.
- Lightly toast the bread then assemble the sandwich.
. You can leave the chickpeas salad very chunky, or very mashed (almost like a pate texture)
Depending on the brand of chickpeas you use, you may need more or less salt and seasoning. Some brands of canned chickpeas have more salt added to them than others.
Lightly toast the bread. This gives the sandwich a nice flavour and texture.
- Serving Size: 1 sandwich
- Calories: 290
- Sugar: 2g
- Fat: 4.3g
- Carbohydrates: 44g
- Fiber: 14g
- Protein: 15g
Keywords: chickpea salad, healthy vegetarian sandwich, sandwich with chickpeas