Smashed Chickpea Salad Sandwich
This Smashed Chickpea Salad Sandwich comes together in just 15 minutes for a healthy Vegetarian (and Vegan) lunch that is packed with protein!
This recipe is sponsored by One Degree Organic.
A healthy vegetarian sandwich
If you’re looking for an easy and filling vegan lunch recipe this sandwich is for you! This Smashed Chickpea Salad Sandwich recipe is packed with 15 grams of protein per sandwich and 14 grams of fibre per serving.
This sandwich is made using One Degree Organic Sprouted Flax and Spelt Bread, made with whole-grains and clean organic ingredients. This bread is also certified vegan and glyphosate-free, making it the perfect healthy choice for a sandwich!
The chickpea salad keeps well in the fridge for up to a week, so this recipe is also great to make on a meal prep day and have on hand to make sandwiches all week long.
Ingredients in this recipe
- One Degree Organic Sprouted bread: the perfect bread for this recipe!
- Chickpeas: the star ingredient of this recipe! Chickpeas are a great vegan protein-source and perfect for a filling lunch.
- Hummus: This adds some creaminess to the chickpea salad. You could also use a vegetarian or vegan mayo if you prefer.
- Dijon Mustard: A classic flavour to add to a sandwich!
- Lemon Juice: To help balance and give a bit of acidity to the chickpea salad
- Red onion: For a punch of flavour!
- Capers: Don’t skip out on these, capers make a huge difference in this recipe!
- Dill: Pairs well with the dijon and capers
- Salt, pepper & paprika: to season
How to make this chickpea salad sandwich
Drain the can of chickpeas, then add them to a large bowl and smash them using a potato masher or a fork.
Add the rest of the chickpea salad ingredients to the bowl and mix together. Taste and adjust the seasoning if needed.
Lightly toast the bread, then spread the chickpea mixture onto the bread along with any other fillings you love.
Sandwich filling ideas
I used lettuce and cucumbers in this sandwich to keep it simple. But there are tons of additional add-ins you can add to your sandwich! Here are some ideas
- Sprouts (alfalfa sprouts, radish sprouts…etc.)
- Sliced radishes
- shredded carrots
Tips for making this recipe perfectly
- Mash to your desired texture. You can leave the chickpeas salad very chunky, or very mashed (almost like a pate texture)
- Depending on the brand of chickpeas you use, you may need more or less salt and seasoning. Some brands of canned chickpeas have more salt added to them than others.
- Lightly toast the bread. This gives the sandwich a nice flavour and texture.
More chickpea recipes to try
If you tried this Smashed Chickpea Salad Sandwich or any other recipe on the blog let me know how you liked it by leaving a comment/rating below! Be sure to follow along on Pinterest, Instagram and Facebook for even more deliciousness!Print
This Smashed Chickpea Salad Sandwich is a healthy vegetarian sandwich that’s perfect for an easy lunch!
Smashed chickpea salad
- 14oz can of chickpeas, drained
- 3 tbsp hummus (can sub mayo or vegan mayo)
- 1 tbsp dijon mustard
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1/4 cup finely chopped red onion
- 3 tbsp capers, chopped
- 1 handful dill, chopped
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- One Degree Organic Sprouted Bread
- Smash the chickpeas using a potato masher, fork, or a food processor, then add the remaining chickpea salad ingredients to the bowl and mix together. Taste and adjust seasoning if needed.
- Lightly toast the bread then assemble the sandwich with some lettuce, cucumber, chickpea salad and any other sandwich ingredients you love.
. You can leave the chickpeas salad very chunky, or very mashed (almost like a pate texture)
Depending on the brand of chickpeas you use, you may need more or less salt and seasoning. Some brands of canned chickpeas have more salt added to them than others.
Lightly toast the bread. This gives the sandwich a nice flavour and texture.
- Serving Size: 1 sandwich
- Calories: 290
- Sugar: 2g
- Fat: 4.3g
- Carbohydrates: 44g
- Fiber: 14g
- Protein: 15g
Keywords: chickpea salad, healthy vegetarian sandwich, sandwich with chickpeas