This hearty and delicious soup is perfect for a healthy weeknight meal!
- 1/2 cup red lentils
- 2 large carrots
- 1 large sweet potato (or 2 small)
- 2 tbsp avocado oil (or vegetable oil)
- 1 onion, roughly chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, roughly chopped
- 2-inch cube of ginger, roughly chopped
- 5 cups low-sodium vegetable broth
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/2 tsp ground turmeric
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp brown sugar
- 1/4 cup crushed tomatoes
- salt & pepper to taste
- 4 Ryvita crispbreads
- Rinse your lentils until the water runs clean, then cook in a pot according to package directions. Drain and set aside.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- Peel and chop the carrots and sweet potato into large chunks and bake for 20-25 minutes, or until tender.
- Heat the olive oil in a large pot on medium-high heat. Add the onion and let cook for 2 minutes. Reduce heat to medium and add the garlic, ginger, sweet potato, and carrot, letting cook for another 2 minute.
- Add the red lentils, vegetable broth, and rest of the spices & seasoning and bring to a boil, stirring everything until incorporated.
- Reduce heat to low, cover and let simmer for 10-15 minutes.
- Using a hand blender, (or regular blender) blend the soup until your desired texture.
- Crumble the Ryvita crispbreads and srpinkle on top of the soup before serving.
Roast the sweet potato and carrots in the oven, rather than throwing them into the pot raw. Roasting the veggies releases a lot of flavours and gives them a richer and sweeter taste. Don’t forget to rinse the lentils! Red lentils can have a slightly bitter taste if they are not rinsed. Rinse them until the water runs clear. If you like a chunkier soup, use a hand blender and just puree slightly. If you like a creamier soup, blend until smooth.
- Serving Size: 1 bowl
- Calories: 135
- Sugar: 5g
- Sodium: 300mg
- Fat: 2g
- Carbohydrates: 23g
- Fiber: 7g
- Protein: 8g
Keywords: healthy lentil soup recipe, sweet potato carrot soup recipe