Warming spiced carrot, lentil and sweet potato soup that’s loaded with soothing spices like ginger and turmeric. Cozy up with a big bowl of this healthy nourishing soup!
You know those days where you’re looking in your fridge and pantry thinking “hmmm…what should I make?”
Well, that’s how the story behind this soup started. In fact many of the ingredients in this soup happened by accident. But it turned out to be one of those happy accidents.
I was having one of those Sundays where I was pretty low on ingredients, (you know, the day before grocery day…) and looking in my fridge trying to scavenge what I could to make something for food prep. What did I come across? A pack of carrots, some leftover cooked red lentils, and a container of crushed tomatoes.
That’s when I had my “ah-ha” moment and went in my pantry to grab some sweet potatoes. I guess I was trying to stick to an orange coloured trend.
I LOVE making soups for food prep. Especially in the Fall of course when the weather starts to get cooler and you end up just wanting quick & easy warming meals. Some other soups I’ve made recently that I’m loving right now are this green goddess broccoli soup and this curried coconut cauliflower soup.
I usually make a big batch of soup on a Sunday and then have it ready to go in the fridge for the week ahead. I’m also a big believer in freezing my soups if there’s extra.
It’s a great way to have some healthy food on hand for those days where you’re too busy to cook, or…just lazy. (Trust me, I definitely have those days.)
This spiced carrot, lentil and sweet potato soup is like a hug in a bowl. It’s so warming and soothing and filled with tons of nourishing vitamins, protein, herbs, and spices.Print
This is the BEST fall soup recipe! It’s loaded with lentils, carrots and sweet potatoes and fragrant spices!
- 1/2 cup red lentils
- 2 large carrots
- 1 large sweet potato (or 2 small)
- 2 tbsp avocado oil (or vegetable oil)
- 1 onion, roughly chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, roughly chopped
- 2-inch cube of ginger, roughly chopped
- 5 cups low-sodium vegetable broth
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/2 tsp ground turmeric
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp brown sugar
- 1/4 cup crushed tomatoes
- salt & pepper to taste
- Rinse your lentils until the water runs clean, then cook in a pot according to package directions. Drain and set aside.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- Peel and chop the carrots and sweet potato into large chunks and bake for 20-25 minutes, or until tender.
- Heat the avocado oil in a large pot on medium-high heat. Add the onion and let cook for 2 minutes. Reduce heat to medium and add the garlic, ginger, sweet potato, and carrot, letting cook for another 2 minute.
- Add the red lentils, vegetable broth, and rest of the spices & seasoning and bring to a boil, stirring everything until incorporated.
- Reduce heat to low, cover and let simmer for 20 minutes.
- Using a hand blender, (or regular blender) blend the soup for about 15-20 seconds.
- Serve and enjoy!
Keywords: lentil soup recipe, vegan comfort food
Tips & suggestions:
- You can replace the sweet potato with butternut squash if you have that on hand instead
- If you like a thinner smoother soup, add more vegetable broth and blend until smooth
- Craving more? Try my roasted sweet potato cinnamon soup!
This post contains affiliate links. I only recommend products I know, trust and love!