Spiced Carrot, Lentil and Sweet Potato Soup
This Spiced Carrot, Lentil and Sweet Potato Soup is loaded with soothing spices like ginger and turmeric for a delicious and healthy soup you’ll love! This soup is naturally vegan and gluten-free and is packed with protein and fibre so it’s perfect for a hearty winter meal.
This recipe is sponsored by Ryvita.
A healthy and easy soup recipe
This soup is one of those recipes that is perfect for a simple weeknight meal. It’s made with red lentils, sweet potatoes and carrots for an orange soup that is packed full of vitamins, minerals and protein. If you’re looking for more meal soups, be sure to try this Weeknight Slow Cooker Lentil Soup and this Vegan Stuffed Pepper Soup next!
This soup is topped off with Ryvita “croutons” which are light, crunchy and packed full of fibre. The Ryvita croutons make the perfect topping for this soup and make it easy to add more fibre into your diet.
Spiced Carrot, Lentil and Sweet Potato soup is also the perfect soup to make for food prep and have on hand for the week. It freezes well so you can freeze any leftovers, or double the recipe and freeze half of it to take out for a quick and easy dinner!
Why you’ll love this recipe
- This soup is vegan, gluten-free and filled with protein and vitamins for a nourishing soup that is perfect for a weeknight dinner.
- It’s topped off with Ryivta croutons which are packed full of fibre, and make it easy to incorporate more fibre into your daily diet.
- This recipe is the perfect soup to meal prep on a Sunday and can be frozen to be enjoyed whenever you want!
How to make Spiced Carrot, Lentil and Sweet Potato Soup
- Roast the carrots and sweet potatoes in the oven.
- Brown the onion, garlic and ginger in a pot on medium-high heat.
- Add the carrots, sweet potatoes, lentils and the rest of the ingredients to the pot and mix everything together.
- Simmer for 10-15 minutes, then puree the soup to your desired texture.
Tips for making this recipe perfectly
- Roast the sweet potato and carrots in the oven, rather than throwing them into the pot raw. Roasting the veggies releases a lot of flavours and gives them a richer and sweeter taste.
- Don’t forget to rinse the lentils! Red lentils can have a slightly bitter taste if they are not rinsed. Rinse them until the water runs clear.
- If you like a chunkier soup, use a hand blender and just puree slightly. If you like a creamier soup, blend until smooth.
More soup recipes to tryPrint
Spiced Carrot, Lentil and Sweet Potato Soup
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Total Time: 45 minutes
- Yield: 4 servings 1x
- Category: Appetizer/Main
- Method: Cook
- Cuisine: American
This hearty and delicious soup is perfect for a healthy weeknight meal!
- 1/2 cup red lentils
- 2 large carrots
- 1 large sweet potato (or 2 small)
- 2 tbsp avocado oil (or vegetable oil)
- 1 onion, roughly chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, roughly chopped
- 2-inch cube of ginger, roughly chopped
- 5 cups low-sodium vegetable broth
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/2 tsp ground turmeric
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp brown sugar
- 1/4 cup crushed tomatoes
- salt & pepper to taste
- 4 Ryvita crispbreads
- Rinse your lentils until the water runs clean, then cook in a pot according to package directions. Drain and set aside.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- Peel and chop the carrots and sweet potato into large chunks and bake for 20-25 minutes, or until tender.
- Heat the olive oil in a large pot on medium-high heat. Add the onion and let cook for 2 minutes. Reduce heat to medium and add the garlic, ginger, sweet potato, and carrot, letting cook for another 2 minute.
- Add the red lentils, vegetable broth, and rest of the spices & seasoning and bring to a boil, stirring everything until incorporated.
- Reduce heat to low, cover and let simmer for 10-15 minutes.
- Using a hand blender, (or regular blender) blend the soup until your desired texture.
- Crumble the Ryvita crispbreads and srpinkle on top of the soup before serving.
Roast the sweet potato and carrots in the oven, rather than throwing them into the pot raw. Roasting the veggies releases a lot of flavours and gives them a richer and sweeter taste. Don’t forget to rinse the lentils! Red lentils can have a slightly bitter taste if they are not rinsed. Rinse them until the water runs clear. If you like a chunkier soup, use a hand blender and just puree slightly. If you like a creamier soup, blend until smooth.
- Serving Size: 1 bowl
- Calories: 135
- Sugar: 5g
- Sodium: 300mg
- Fat: 2g
- Carbohydrates: 23g
- Fiber: 7g
- Protein: 8g
Keywords: healthy lentil soup recipe, sweet potato carrot soup recipe
If you tried this Spiced Carrot, Lentil and Sweet Potato Soup or any other recipe on the blog let me know how you liked it by leaving a comment/rating below! Be sure to follow along on Pinterest, Instagram and Facebook for even more deliciousness!
Fabulous! Just made this for dinner tonight & it was the perfect recipe for a rainy day. I made it exactly as written, but didn’t cook the lentils before (I just added them dried) & it turned out delicious. Thank you Jess!
This recipe will be added to my “cold weather” meal rotation! I didn’t have exactly the recipe (large Yukon potato, green lentils). I added a few extra carrots and a drizzle of maple syrup (to hopefully mimic the sweet potato taste). I used an immersion blender then topped it with a spoonful of plain Greek yogurt, cilantro and fresh pepper. Served it with a baguette! Divine.
o happy you enjoyed the recipe! Sounds delicious topped with some greek yogurt!
This was fantastic!
Glad you enjoyed the recipe Alma!
This is a new favorite soup in our house! I doubled the carrots and sweet potato, but the rest of the recipe stayed the same….warming and delicious!
Thanks so much Margot! So happy you loved this soup! 🙂
The only change I made to this recipe was to add three whole chilli’s (which I removed with the bay leaves prior to blending). It is extremely tasty and very filling. I finished it off with a dollop of plain yoghurt and a little cilantro!
Sounds delicious with adding three chillies and the garnishes. Glad to hear you liked the recipe!